Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer request for the Standish families  (Read 11179 times)

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Prayer request for the Standish families
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:02:51 PM »

Many people here would be aware of Drs Russell and Colin Standish.

I was advised yesterday of the death of one of these brothers in a car accident here in Australia. This morning, it has been confirmed that Dr Russell Standish and his friend, Clifford Cocks, were killed on Friday morning (as I understand it), in a car accident here in Australia. I do not have any further details at this stage.

Please remember the families of these men in your prayers.  :praying:

Naja

Re: Prayer request for the Standish families
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 04:52:56 AM »

Russell Standish was editor of Our Firm Foundation and director of Harland Institute with his brother Colin. A very conservative traditionalist SDA.
I am surprise you all here have overlooked giving more honor to his passing.

I saw a pic of the smashed car. I have two unanswered questions...
Were both buckled up in the trip on the way to the preaching engagement?
At what speed was Clifford Cocks driving as the truck coming from the other direction jumped the path and aimed for their car?

If they were both buckled up and the speed was reasonable could have they just had bad injuries but remained alive?

I know that up in the late 70's bones get brittle and snap more easily.
Could both have had neck injuries breaking bone into the jugular?

I wish the details could be better written up in news reports.

Ozzie

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:59:47 PM »

Russell Standish was editor of Our Firm Foundation and director of Harland Institute with his brother Colin. A very conservative traditionalist SDA.
I am surprise you all here have overlooked giving more honor to his passing.

I saw a pic of the smashed car. I have two unanswered questions...
Were both buckled up in the trip on the way to the preaching engagement?
At what speed was Clifford Cocks driving as the truck coming from the other direction jumped the path and aimed for their car?

Wearing seat belts when a vehicle is engaged, is mandatory in Australia. I have no reason to doubt they were doing so. It is the responsibility of the driver, to ensure that all passengers have their seat belts done up.

Where did you get your information that "the truck coming from the other direction jumped the path and aimed for their car"? From the media, where 'sensation sells', or from some reputable source? Did you even consider that at that time the day/evening, that the sun could have been in their eyes, so that they did not even see the vehicle on their right?

If they were both buckled up and the speed was reasonable could have they just had bad injuries but remained alive?

I know that up in the late 70's bones get brittle and snap more easily.
Could both have had neck injuries breaking bone into the jugular?

I wish the details could be better written up in news reports.

Now, why on earth would you want it "better written up". In Australia, not all the ghoulish details are given in the media. Some reporting does stop to think of the impact made on the family. Personally, I don't want to see all the gory details in the newspapers.

The thrill seekers who look for that kind of information, can have their appetites for that kind of stuff whetted, if they attend the Coroners Inquest, which may be a couple of years or so down the track.

Cliff was always a very responsible person when I knew him personally. I have no reason to doubt otherwise now, unless his reaction time etc had diminished with age.
  :australia:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Emma

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »

I did see one report that said they did not have bad facial injuries.

Like you, Ozzie, I think the fact that they were killed is all we really need to know, details of injuries are not particularly edifying.

And to reiterate, wearing seatbelts in this country is compulsory and drivers incur demerit points if their passengers are not buckled up.  It is second nature to almost everyone here to fasten the seatbelts as soon as getting into the car.

Naja

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:38:55 AM »

This is what I had saved to file :

http://www.milduraindependent.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3370&Itemid=54
http://progressiveadventism.com/2008/05/05/in-memory-of-russell-standish/ 
http://www.adventistreview.org/article.php?id=1851 Standish Russell dies
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/02/2234226.htm

"Dr Russell Standish had caught a commercial flight from Melbourne on Friday afternoon and arrived at Mildura Airport around 4.20pm. He was met there by 78 year old Irymple man Cliff Cocks, who is listed as a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.
Mr Cocks was the driver of the car which cut across the path of a vehicle being driven north along Benetok Avenue around 5.25pm. He was the local person who died instantly in the accident.
Dr Standish generally made two or three trips to Mildura each year and these were sponsored by Mr Cocks, who also was part of a ministry group which holds meetings of conservative theology at the Anglican Church Hall at Red Cliffs.
The Red Cliffs group has around 10 members, all also being members of the main Mildura Seventh Day Adventist Church.. Dr Standish (pictured) was to speak at a private meeting at the home of Dany Wilson at Sunnycliffs on the Friday and then at a 10am gathering the next morning at Red Cliffs meeting at 7pm. http://www.milduraindependent.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3370&Itemid=54

And this was emailed to friends of Elder Colin Standish his twin brother…
Dear Friends,
I arrived safely in Australia, Monday with Hal Mayer. Hal is busy seeking to help in the arranging of the funeral service. It is very difficult for me. I am staying in Glenice’s home with other relatives. Everywhere I go I think of our times together. I need much prayer to get through the eulogy.
The service is to be given by pastor Chester Stanley, the President of the South Australian Union, a former student of mine at Avondale College who made our home his second home. It will be a very large funeral. People will be here from four continents, including Europe and Asia. Glenice has received into the hundreds of messages from all six inhabited continents. The funeral will be held on Friday afternoon in the large Lillydale SDA Church, but we are expecting a big overflow crowd into the large hall where the service will be relayed by closed circuit TV. He will be buried in the Lillydale Lawn Cemetery in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. 
The coroner is still holding Russell’s body and we don’t know when we will have it, so the service on Friday may just be a memorial. Victorian law is very strict re: identification, and though his face is apparently not damaged, they have to identify him through forensic means such as dental records or DNA testing. This can take time, and is very inconvenient for the family. This is not a mystery murder investigation.
Thank you for your condolences and prayers.
May God bless you,
Colin Standish

(an update email from Collin followed with this info..)
We have been delayed because of the very strict rules at the Victorian State Coroners office. They do not accept physical identification of the body. They accept dental x-ray identification, but Russell has had no dental records since his return to Australia in 1992. Thus they require DNA tests which would normally require 5 days. His three sons gave DNA samples; they would not accept DNA from me, even though I am an identical twin. If Russell’s sons would not have personally urged the officer they would not have released Russell’s body until after Monday next week. They had not even conducted Russell’s autopsy by Wednesday, which is mandated even though there was no suspicion of foul play. Timothy, being a geneticist was able to negotiate because he knew that DNA tests could be completed in a few hours

For details on the funeral, please click on:
http://enews.remnantherald.asn.au/Funeral.pdf

Ozzie

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:54:24 PM »

BOTH families suffered SIGNIFICANT loss.

There is no room for the 'blame game', although I realise that 'blame/anger/denial' is all part of the grieving process.

I still ask myself the question: "At that time of the day, was the sun in their eyes, that Cliff did not see the car on his right?"

Yes. Coroner's legislation is VERY tight in Australia. I personally, would not have it otherwise. It's not as if there is some conspiracy to deliberately hold these matters up.
  :australia:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.
Pages: [1]   Go Up