Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Russell Standish Killed in Car accident  (Read 13306 times)

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
Dr Russell Standish Killed in Car accident
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »

On Friday, May 2, 2008, Dr Russell Standish, Physician, Editor and educator and founder of Highwood College in Australia passed to his rest following a collision with another vehicle that is reported to have hit him broadside at 70 MPH.

Dr Russell Standish co-authored 20 plus books, including the Whited Sepulchre, Fifty Years of Apostacy, amongst many others with his Brother, Dr Colin Standish, Co-Founder and President of Hartland Institute. Dr Russell and Dr Colin were twins and enjoyed 74 years of brotherhood.

James Standish of the General Conference Religious Liberty department was one of two sons.

An accomplished dissident who called repeatedly for reformation and restoration to original SDA theology and church discipline, Dr. Russell has lead an SDA Historic Adventism resoration effort in the old Austral-Asian Division and wrote extensively in magazine articles and published his own "The Remnant Herald". His attacks were so ardent he and his brother had lost their ministerial credentials.

I recall his favorite meal being a simple meal known as "savory" and my wife had to call to find the recipe when we hosted Dr Russell and Dr Colin Standish. She made up a 10gallon pot of the recipe and it was gone before they left five days later. The twins spoke for the 150th Commemoration of the Great Disappointment held in Lancaster, Ma in October of 1994.

Not only did they both speak at the event which was shown on the local cable for nearly three months following their dynamic presentations, but they went to great pains to warn us that we needed to clean up the sin in the camp lest we take another 150 years to March on to Zion.

They both ardently pushed the sponsors to clean up thier own camp first if we expected to continue to receive the blessings of God upon any successful ministry to bring reformation to the work.

Both brothers were quite personable and would answer almost any question directly and forthrightly without a second thought, quoting text and verse to support their position.

I fear the impact will be far more widespread than usual as he was the driving force behind Highwood College and his brother is part of the sustaining force behind Hartland Institute.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Ozzie

Re: Dr Russell Standish Killed in Car accident
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »

Thank you for this report and also clarification Gailon.

We heard last evening (from quite elderly folk, who were confused and distressed), that it was Colin Standish who was killed, along with Cliff Cocks. I can now clarify that with several people who knew all those people well.

We have a couple of people in our church who are related to both families, but the elderly whom they told, got facts and names confused.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »

There is actually a third son named Stephen. Both Stephen and Tim were in the same dorm that I was at Weimar as students.

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:10 AM
To: *****
Subject: Update

Quote from: Christina Holtry
Dear Friends,

Dr. Standish has asked me to pass on the following update.

Thank you all for your prayers and condolences.

May God bless you,

Christina Holtry

Executive Secretary

Quote from: Dr Colin Standish

Dear Friends,

I arrived safely in Australia , Monday with Hal Mayer. Hal is busy seeking to help in the arranging of the funeral service. It is very difficult for me. I am staying in Glenice’s home with other relatives. Everywhere I go I think of our times together. I need much prayer to get through the eulogy.

The service is to be given by pastor Chester Stanley, the President of the South Australian Union, a former student of mine at Avondale College who made our home his second home. It will be a very large funeral. People will be here from four continents, including Europe and Asia . Glenice has received into the hundreds of messages from all six inhabited continents. The funeral will be held on Friday afternoon in the large Lillydale SDA Church , but we are expecting a big overflow crowd into the large hall where the service will be relayed by closed circuit TV. He will be buried in the Lillydale Lawn Cemetery in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne . 

The coroner is still holding Russell’s body and we don’t know when we will have it, so the service on Friday may just be a memorial. Victorian law is very strict re: identification, and though his face is apparently not damaged, they have to identify him through forensic means such as dental records or DNA testing. This can take time, and is very inconvenient for the family. This is not a mystery murder investigation.

Thank you for your condolences and prayers.

May God bless you,

Colin Standish

For details on the funeral, please click on:

http://enews.remnantherald.asn.au/Funeral.pdf (copy below)

Dear Friends and Family,

Thank you so much for your loving concern for me and my family, and for Russell's family. Special thanks for prayers offered for the comfort of the Holy Spirit in this time of great grief and sorrow.

Please note that the following details have now been confirmed for Russell's .

Date: Friday 9th May 2008

Time: 1.00pm

Place: Lilydale Seventh-day Adventist Church (608 Hull Road, Lilydale, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)

(Parking is available both at the church listed above as well as the Lilydale Baptist Church, directly opposite)

Due to unanticipated delays in the coronial investigation there may or may not be a burial to follow. We have decided to go ahead with the memorial service in any case out of consideration for international attendees.

In lieu of flowers, please feel welcome to make a donation to the Highwood fund for needy students and health guests, a cause very dear to Russell's heart. Envelopes will be provided at the church for this purpose.

With Christian love

Glenice

I Thessalonians 4:13-18
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Isaiah 51:11
Therefore the redeemed of the LORD shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy [shall be] upon their head: they shall obtain gladness and joy; [and] sorrow and mourning shall flee away.

II Timothy 4:7,8
I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Let's all pray that the Lord strengthen and comfort his friends, family, brethren, and loved ones in these difficult times.

In our blessed hope,
Ian

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:42:36 AM by Ian »

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »

Of all the texts, this is the most applicable...this man was a warrior for the Lord and his passing will be sorely missed, there is a gap to fill and we pray the Lord to find an appropriate replacement.

II Timothy 4:7,8
I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:

Gailon Arthur Joy

HelenJames

• I'm on [url=http://twitter.com]Twitter[/url] and my [url=http://www.essaysexperts.com]essays[/url]
answer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:53:01 PM »

I have send you in pm
I'm on Twitter and my essays
Pages: [1]   Go Up