Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The lesson from the goats....  (Read 16510 times)

reddogs

The lesson from the goats....
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »

I originally posted this as "Can the Law save us?" but it works with either way...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus used parables to explain things plainly so the people could understand, and I was struck as I worked on my fence this morning, by how the fence was like Gods law, and I thought I would share it. I have many animals but none have given me more grief than my goats. When I first got them, they were a few weeks old and I put up a fence to keep them safe from the various panthers, bears, bobcats and other wildlife that share the woods with us. The fence was more of a marker for the goats as they soon learned to go under it and wander out in the woods were dangers lurked. They got out and indulged in all their little goat desires and ate lantana and other things which wasnt good for them, then at night they would come home through the front gate and lay on the warm hood of my car or the top, causing me great grief. Then I lost some of them from bloating from what they ate and to wildlife, so I did everything I could to save them from the real dangers in the woods. I put a second fence around them so they were in sight of the house so I could go get them if they got out. I sank the bottom of the fence deeper, but they jumped over it. I made the fence higher, so they stood on top of stumps or logs so they could get over it. I told my wife we would have to get rid of the goats because they would not stay withing the fence, so she said to let her try.

She went and sat with them and gave them alfalfa hay to clear out their tummys of the bad stuff they had picked up. She talked to them and rubbed their bellies when they were sick and gave them charcoal for the bloating. Soon the goats stopped jumping the fence and waited for my wife in their pen, and let her hold them and clean their fur or between their horns as that is the one place they cant reach. Now they listen for her voice and come running when she calls and sit with her and listen to her little goat stories she tells them.

Something happened that changed the goats, I couldnt put my finger on it but on one thing I was clear, the fence didnt save them from the dangers. Did it help, yes as far as it delineated the cleared land of the farm and their little goat pen where it was safe. But somehow the goats changed in their little goat desires and behaviour and they no longer wanted to jump the fence and leave the farm, but instead to stay within the safety of the fence and share their happiness with someone who loves them......

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: The lesson from the goats....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:01:54 PM »

It is unusual for goats to eat that which is not good for them. They are pretty savvy and far more intelligent than given credit for. The silly sheep will eat themselves to death if they get into corn,grain or wet alfalfa. The goats would not. We had a herd of dairy goats for years and never worried about them. It was the flock of sheep.
A couple of strands of electric fence gets thru to them rather quickly. Usually one is the leader and if you can educate that one to the fence early on, the rest follow.

Even the sheep will respect the electric fence. Sticking the nose of the trouble maker on the fence will prevent them even with their heavy fleece. If the leader stays within the parimeter, generally the others will as well
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Ozzie

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:47:33 PM »

It is unusual for goats to eat that which is not good for them. They are pretty savvy and far more intelligent than given credit for. The silly sheep will eat themselves to death if they get into corn,grain or wet alfalfa. The goats would not. We had a herd of dairy goats for years and never worried about them. It was the flock of sheep.
A couple of strands of electric fence gets thru to them rather quickly. Usually one is the leader and if you can educate that one to the fence early on, the rest follow.

Even the sheep will respect the electric fence. Sticking the nose of the trouble maker on the fence will prevent them even with their heavy fleece. If the leader stays within the parimeter, generally the others will as well

Bonnie, that is the case in most issues in life, in my experience. As sheep (people) follow a leader, most will stay within the boundary determined by that leader.

We have had pet goats and always found them to be resourceful and quite intelligent actually. They were delightful pets. Sheep! Nuh! They are the ones with the 'herd mentality'.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »

I had a small flock of angora goats. I used their fleece for spinning.
I had to drive about a 100 miles to pick them up. My husband was busy with the pickup so used our old farm car without a back seat to bring them home. I made the mistake of stopping for a dairy queen. They were laying down sleeping so nice on the floor thought I could get by with it. I parked in the parking lot to take a break, Big Mistake.
The poor couple parked next to me were so friendly,Until,Ozzie and Harriet decided to stand up and poke their heads out each back window.
I left rather quickly and all I heard the man say was "Mother,did you see that, what are they ARE they,and they are in her car
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:45:37 AM »

What is really interesting about sheep and goats is watching the rams and bucks. If a ram is going to charge someone or something they consider a threat,they can not change path once the charge has begun. If they are set on ramming a person, all the person needs to do is step aside and the ram will keep going in the same direction. A buck goat can and will turn on a dime. Only time I was leery of the rams is when I turned my back on them. Did that a couple of times Not smart

Ozzie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:49:43 PM »

What is really interesting about sheep and goats is watching the rams and bucks. If a ram is going to charge someone or something they consider a threat,they can not change path once the charge has begun. If they are set on ramming a person, all the person needs to do is step aside and the ram will keep going in the same direction. A buck goat can and will turn on a dime. Only time I was leery of the rams is when I turned my back on them. Did that a couple of times Not smart

Not a bright move Bonnie as sheep just keep going. Seems like once they get one thought in their mind, they can think of none other.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Lil Star

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »

Aww mannn, I didn't read this until just now!  LOL-- odd how we both had angora animals!   :thumbsup:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

reddogs

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »

Aww mannn, I didn't read this until just now!  LOL-- odd how we both had angora animals!   :thumbsup:

Here's our Angora Goats...

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »

Where did the color come from. Are they crossed with the dairy goat. Angora's are white. Usually color comes in with some pretty intensive cross breeding outside angora lines

When we had angora's it was difficult to find any with a decent fleece that was not white
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:42:13 PM by bonnie »

reddogs

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »

Where did the color come from. Are they crossed with the dairy goat. Angora's are white. Usually color comes in with some pretty intensive cross breeding outside angora lines

When we had angora's it was difficult to find any with a decent fleece that was not white

Good question, when we first got goats the mother was Angora and we were just learning, but I would have to ask my wife on the father as he was smaller.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »

Good question, when we first got goats the mother was Angora and we were just learning, but I would have to ask my wife on the father as he was smaller.

I was just wondering as color is hard to come by in angora goats. I know they now have colored angora registry,but that is mote recent. Was wondering if colored angora's are larger because of the cross breeding . Those pictured seem larger and not as fine boned as your typical angora.

Wold like to see a colored angora in full fleece

reddogs

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

I was just wondering as color is hard to come by in angora goats. I know they now have colored angora registry,but that is mote recent. Was wondering if colored angora's are larger because of the cross breeding . Those pictured seem larger and not as fine boned as your typical angora.

Wold like to see a colored angora in full fleece

I checked with my wife who knows each type, these are the "Boer" goats, she said the Angora goats we had some, so I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Pages: [1]   Go Up