Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Most Unusual Pet You Owned??  (Read 23821 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Most Unusual Pet You Owned??
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:00:48 PM »

We had a skunk named Chanel No 5, and a spider monkey named Tojou
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Ozzie

Re: Most Unusual Pet You Owned??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:17 PM »

Very innovative names for the particular species Bonnie.  :ROFL: My husband would love to have a monkey for a pet, but that's not likely in our Retirement Villiage (thank heavens).  :hamster:

This was not an unusual pet I suppose, but a favourite of our eldest daughter's was a black piglet, that we kept for a few months, before serving him for Christmas Dinner one year. Daughter # 1 loved "Porky" and we thought she was too young to put 2+2 together and work out where he had gone to, but she did realise that 'Porky' had disappeared and refused to eat her Christmas meal.  :scratch:

Got to admit that "Porky" did seem to delight in Daughter #1 going and playing with him and keeping him company. Our two eldest kids enjoyed his company for those few short months. Child #2 could only sit in his pram and make noises at the piglet, who seemed to 'answer' him back.
:oops:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:07:30 PM by Ozzie »
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »

Trust me, a monkey and a retirement village are not compatible :)
They are so blame smart it is almost enough to make you believe in evolution.  Tojou got out one night and we hadn't missed him. We had a gas station close to our house where truckers would sometime pull in and sleep in their sleeper at night. One poor guy left his window opened the night Tojou got out and he will never be the same.

It was just getting daylight when he woke to find a monkey sitting on his chest. Scared the daylights out of him and he made the mistake of grabbing for him. He ended up with Tojou on his head pulling his hair for all he was worth.Tojou screeching at the top of his lungs.
When he finally got loose and threw him out the window Tojou ran up the tree. The trucker came to the house and I can tell you I have never heard that kind of language before or since. One mighty upset man.
If he retold that to his wife, I bet she thought he had a bit to much to drink.

Guess who had to climb the tree with a banana and get the little monster back home??
Not something a teenage girl really wants to do in the center of a small town. Took a long time before I lived that one down

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Ozzie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:18:23 PM »

Trust me, a monkey and a retirement village are not compatible :)
They are so blame smart it is almost enough to make you believe in evolution.  Tojou got out one night and we hadn't missed him. We had a gas station close to our house where truckers would sometime pull in and sleep in their sleeper at night. One poor guy left his window opened the night Tojou got out and he will never be the same.

It was just getting daylight when he woke to find a monkey sitting on his chest. Scared the daylights out of him and he made the mistake of grabbing for him. He ended up with Tojou on his head pulling his hair for all he was worth.Tojou screeching at the top of his lungs.
When he finally got loose and threw him out the window Tojou ran up the tree. The trucker came to the house and I can tell you I have never heard that kind of language before or since. One mighty upset man.
If he retold that to his wife, I bet she thought he had a bit to much to drink.

Guess who had to climb the tree with a banana and get the little monster back home??
Not something a teenage girl really wants to do in the center of a small town. Took a long time before I lived that one down

Wish I'd been a fly on the wall, or a bird flying near the tree!  :ROFL: No. Country towns are renounded for ignoring something hilarious as that.  :oops:
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

Lil Star

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:50:54 PM »

I have owned a registered male angora rabbit. Soon after we had the rabbit with all the papers it had about 9 little bunny rabbits! We have laughed for years over my registered male rabbit having babies. Who would have thought?  :ROFL:

That reminds me, can we get a rabbit icon on here?
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »

I have owned a registered male angora rabbit. Soon after we had the rabbit with all the papers it had about 9 little bunny rabbits! We have laughed for years over my registered male rabbit having babies. Who would have thought?  :ROFL:

Bet your male rabbit was a more surprised than you were. :ROFL:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:29:45 PM by bonnie »

Ozzie

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:52:14 PM »

Bet your male rabbit was a more surprised than you were. :ROFL:

:ROFL: :amen:
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

Lil Star

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 08:57:20 AM »

LOL-- I bet he was!  He was just like the men I have known and been involved with. Never taking care of the responsibilities of the newborns. Oh well, mom and I took care of them. Some lived while others did not fair so well. It was a blast having this angora rabbit!  Just loved her/him so very much.
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:40:07 AM »

LOL-- I bet he was!  He was just like the men I have known and been involved with. Never taking care of the responsibilities of the newborns. Oh well, mom and I took care of them. Some lived while others did not fair so well. It was a blast having this angora rabbit!  Just loved her/him so very much.

They are a lot of work tho aren't they. Had about ten of them on the farm for their fur.
Used to combine that with angora from the goats for spinning

Lil Star

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »

They are, plus all the softness  they give... But yes, they are a lot of work but well worth it I thought.
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

Ozzie

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 05:20:52 PM »

They are, plus all the softness  they give... But yes, they are a lot of work but well worth it I thought.

A whole lot of work, but who would exchange that for a whole lot of fun and a whole lot of love? Not me, for sure.
  :rabbit:
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

sonshineonme

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »

You guys are having too much fun in this thread!

As for my most unusual pet - I still own him. He is simply a cat. BUT, he is a cat with an addiction to water. Yes, i said water. He loves the shower, he loves the rain, he loves any running water anywhere and literally lives his life each day seeking an opportunity or two for a chance at water somewhere.  He has no problem standing in the shower with the water falling off his head just to drink what falls into his mouth. He has even learned how to jump up and head-[censored] the front of the fridge door where the water dispenser peddle is because he has seen that water comes out when you push on it. He even watches us and when he sees someone starting to undress for the shower, he dashes for the shower knowing you are about to turn it on. He lays in sinks, and sits at every faucet in the house in hopes of flowing water.
He also loves being on a leash, going for rides in the car and has an unusual way of sitting on the floor. He bends in half like a person sits, so you can easily come across him sitting in the middle of the floor bent at the waste and legs pointed out. He lays on his back stretched out when he lays around, and not in the usual cat curls you know. We think he is Mainecoon and Ragdoll in breeds. He's long haired and rarely sheds.
We have had him since he was a week or two old, hand raised, and I'm sure this explains most of his idiosyncrasies.
His name is Fozzi Bear. He's pretty cool and much loved. :purr:
"...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. "

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 04:43:41 AM »

You guys are having too much fun in this thread!

As for my most unusual pet - I still own him. He is simply a cat. BUT, he is a cat with an addiction to water. Yes, i said water. He loves the shower, he loves the rain, he loves any running water anywhere and literally lives his life each day seeking an opportunity or two for a chance at water somewhere.  He has no problem standing in the shower with the water falling off his head just to drink what falls into his mouth. He has even learned how to jump up and head-[censored] the front of the fridge door where the water dispenser peddle is because he has seen that water comes out when you push on it. He even watches us and when he sees someone starting to undress for the shower, he dashes for the shower knowing you are about to turn it on. He lays in sinks, and sits at every faucet in the house in hopes of flowing water.
He also loves being on a leash, going for rides in the car and has an unusual way of sitting on the floor. He bends in half like a person sits, so you can easily come across him sitting in the middle of the floor bent at the waste and legs pointed out. He lays on his back stretched out when he lays around, and not in the usual cat curls you know. We think he is Mainecoon and Ragdoll in breeds. He's long haired and rarely sheds.
We have had him since he was a week or two old, hand raised, and I'm sure this explains most of his idiosyncrasies.
His name is Fozzi Bear. He's pretty cool and much loved. :purr:

Sounds like a neat cat. We have one that came to us as a stray.  Her favorite place is on me  when I lay down on the couch to read. If I don't get there soon enough at night for her, she keeps winding her self around my feet, complaining rather loudly till I get the hint and go lay down.

Our skunk used to like the bathtub.  One night when we had company I forgot about Chanel. She was curled up in the bathtub . The shower curtain was pulled. My friend went in to use the restroom,and came flying out with the funiest look on her face. That is when I remembered where Chanel was. She moved and caused the curtain to move, so my friend took a peek. Said she would never be snoopy in someone's bathroom again
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:04:37 AM by bonnie »

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 05:35:50 AM »

A cat and water started the most horrendous 24 hours of my life a few years ago. Cats should not like water and definately should not have acess to toilet bowls in the middle of the night.
My granddaughter had a very spoiled cat and considered the guest bathroom her own. She liked to play fishing at night.
My husband had a stroke while working in CO, staying with our son. I drove out to bring him home,1000 miles one way. Drove straight thru, next day started back home. Took him to our DR and he suggested I take him back to CO. He was working in my sons nursing home and he needed OT, so they thought that was the perfect scenerio. Next day headed back to CO. Felt like I was running a commuter service. After 3000 miles in 4 days I was getting a wee bit tired of the "open road".

I had thought to get a good night's sleep and head back home the next day. ENTER CAT
I woke up about 2:00 am. Went into the guest bathroom without turning on the light. Big mistake. Didn't know this was the cat's bathroom.
To put it diplomatically, I knocked the cat into the toilet bowl. She came out of there hissing and howling. She went one way, I the other. By the time I was sure I would not have a heart attack, I was wide awake . Made the rather foolish decision to head out for home without waking anyone. Just FYI, always ,always check CO weather.
I had not gone more than 25 miles when I started to see semi's parked alongside both sides of the freeway. About five miles down the road, saw an overhead sign that said,"Road to Cheyenne closed,blizzard conditions"

I was rerouted to the local high school to spend the night. The high school was filling up fast with stranded traveler's. A kind lady came over to me and said they had one space left in a room with 26 cots and I could have that. She had a small flashlight and took me to a cot closest to the door. Told me to be quiet and not turn on lights as all were asleep.

It didn't take to long and I had the rather unpleasent feeling that I was the lone woman sleeping in a room of 25 truckers.  I left to find this woman and tell her what I thought of her not to funny a sense of humor.
I was right. I was sleeping with 25 men.
I took some extra blankets and headed back out to the car. Finally, the all clear was given to the road to Cheyenne.
Finally getting to Cheyenne, found the town almost shut down due to stranded motorists and truckers. An estimated 15,000 in a fifty mile radius.

I-80 east was still blocked so had to wait. Then they gave the order that no cars could leave till the truckers got out and on their way. This seemed like hours. I spotted a small group of truckers that ran for the same company as my brothers out of Mpls. Threw myself at them whining and begging to have them help me get out. All I wanted was HOME at that time.
They agreed to get me out, but only if I thought I could keep up as they were running way behind.
Little did I realize what they meant by keep up.
I snuck out with trucks on both sides of me and then the fun really began. I had two trucks behind me, one in each lane,three alongside and two in front. I have a very little Cavaliar . Keep up meant 85-90 miles an hour all the way across Nebraska. Made great time :ROFL: All I could think of if my car should stall, It was going to hurt.
Finally made it to the Iowa border in one piece and looked for a motel room. No vacancies due to the storm. Went to a convenience store,explained, and asked if I could park in front and grab a couple of hours of sleep.
I had just fallen asleep when a car load of teenagers descended.
They were so fired up due to a game win, they were pounding on cars. One pounded on my windshield and I came out of the backseat, face to face with what looked like an alien. Spiked hair, every color of the rainbow,pierced earrings in every spot imaginable. That of course did the sleep again and continued on home. 4000 miles in less than a week is not something I want to try again anytime soon.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:38:53 AM by bonnie »

scratsmom

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 07:16:59 PM »

Let's see...Flying squirrels, opossums, groundhog, coon, blue jay, gray squirrel (currently raising an orphan, nearly ready to release) chickens, guinea fowl, ball python, plus the regular dogs and cats and birds. Funniest cat--his favorite food was canteloupe!

scratsmom  :hamster:  (gray squirrel's name is scrat)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up