Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fried Corn Meal Slices  (Read 10851 times)

Habanero

Re: Fried Corn Meal Slices
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:03:27 PM »

Another great fried cornmeal dish.

- Cornmeal cooked thick and chilled for a day
- Slice it into pieces about the size of a slice of bread but double thick
- Deep fry them and let them cool
- Slice them open like a pocket
- Stuff them with
     - A slice of farmer's cheese
     - A slice of tomato
     - Sliced onion
     - Fresh salsa

guide4him

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »

Something that has me going hmmmm is that some foods that are considered poor man's food is occassionally more healthy than some of the more popular foods such as the comparison between corn meal and the ever popular white bread. From what I understand from reading in some health food articles is that corn meal is supposed to be better choice (better cleansing in colon) over white bread or even the cheap so called "whole wheat" bread sold in most chain supermarkets.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 05:13:24 PM »

Something that has me going hmmmm is that some foods that are considered poor man's food is occassionally more healthy than some of the more popular foods such as the comparison between corn meal and the ever popular white bread. From what I understand from reading in some health food articles is that corn meal is supposed to be better choice (better cleansing in colon) over white bread or even the cheap so called "whole wheat" bread sold in most chain supermarkets.

I can't believe that there are so many that know about fried corn meal. My brothers and I  thought we were the only ones. Wes wore when we grew up we would never touch the stuff and now we all still eat it.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »

Another great fried cornmeal dish.

- Deep fry them and let them cool
- Slice them open like a pocket
- Stuff them with
     - A slice of farmer's cheese
     - A slice of tomato
     - Sliced onion
     - Fresh salsa

Another favorite of ours is individual cornmeal pizzas. It is great for Sabbath lunch with a big tossed salad.It starts out the same as above, but is baked in the oven.

- Put the slices on a well oiled baking sheet
- Top the cornmeal slices just the same as you would your favorite pizza (tomato sauce, vegie burger, olives, veggie cheese, onions or anything else you like)
- Bake in a very hot preheated oven
- Unlike pizza this is eaten with a fork and knife

This is also great for any friends that can not eat gluten. And like guide4him said it is healthier than a white pizza crust and tasty.

Another favorite is just to pan fry the left over cormeal slices and top them with some refried beans, salsa, avocado slices, chopped green onions and diced olives. It is something like nachos with cornmeal instead of the chips.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:51:19 PM by Sister »

W.I.L.T

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »

LOL, this takes me back a few years.

Yes, I remember eating that during my childhood years.

Sometimes, different spices were used to try to change the taste.

W.I.L.T

Child_of_God

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »

Ummmm yummy. I love fried corn meal and fried grits with a little butter and a little syrup. After having read all that others have said, I want some now.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »

Ummmm yummy. I love fried corn meal and fried grits with a little butter and a little syrup. After having read all that others have said, I want some now.

I am definetly making it this week. Bought the maple syrup and then forgot the cornmeal. My husband has gotten to like it if he doesn't see it before I fry it. Can't quite get used to frying what he consideres cereal
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up