Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fried Corn Meal Slices  (Read 10863 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Fried Corn Meal Slices
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:51 AM »

This is one of those things you really need to try before going yuck. A staple for us at home when times were tough. Sometimes 7 days a week. My brothers and I swore never to touch the stuff again when we grew up. Now, we really like it, altho my SIL's were more than a little reluctant in the beginning. Had never known anyone else that had this till we stopped at a restaurant in Ohio on vacation. Was so surprised to find it on the menu.

Prepare corn meal as you would for cooked cereal,such as oatmeal.
Pour in loaf pan and let set overnight. Coat pan with olive oil and fry till crisp and golden brown.
Serve with butter or butter substitute and maple syrup.

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

charis

Re: Fried Corn Meal Slices
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:25:07 AM »

:thumbsup:  All my family on my mom's side used to fry leftover cornmeal mush... usually with butter and salt, but sometimes they'd use syrup.  mmmmm...
Charis

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
~ Heinrich Heine ~

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »

:thumbsup:  All my family on my mom's side used to fry leftover cornmeal mush... usually with butter and salt, but sometimes they'd use syrup.  mmmmm...

I thought this was a poverty thing. Never ran into any other family that had to "suffer the indignity of fried corn meal mush" as we thought of it anyway.

Was really surprised to find it offered in a restaurant
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »

My grandmother used to call fried cornmeal Bubble and Squeak.  They do so in England and, I believe, in Australia.

If you add some onion and garlic powders, it makes this even more savory. 

??? ?? ??? ?? ????

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:30:03 PM »

My grandmother used to call fried cornmeal Bubble and Squeak.  They do so in England and, I believe, in Australia.

I am always surprised when others have had this. Thought it was kind of a poverty dish

Emma

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:05:29 AM »

Another version of bubble and squeak is to fry up all the left over vegetables and any other things from the previous few days- it was a regular Friday event when I was gowing up and the addition of tomato sauce/ketchup and served over some sliced cheese.....Yum.

I guess these restaurants are cashing in on the nostalgia factor, as well as a tasty dish.

These posts of yours certainly bring back the memories, Bonnie.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »

Another version of bubble and squeak is to fry up all the left over vegetables and any other things from the previous few days- it was a regular Friday event when I was gowing up and the addition of tomato sauce/ketchup and served over some sliced cheese.....Yum.

I guess these restaurants are cashing in on the nostalgia factor, as well as a tasty dish.

I am going to have to tell my brothers about "bubble and Squeak" . We were absolutely convinced that no one else had to eat this. Will have to try your version

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »

Without the corn meal slices it sounds like my dad's hobo meal.  My dad was a real life hobo, riding the rails when he was  a foolish young man. Ran away from home at 15 and made his way among the hobo camps.
We loved anything that had hobo in front of it. My dad was an excellant cook and had many creative ways to stretch a meal

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »

I have made sliced fried cornmeal slices for Sabbath lunch. Instead of salt I put in veggie bullion powder, add some canned corn, sauteed onions or sliced green onions and finely shredded carrots while the cooked corn meal is still hot. I then make a slightly spicy Italian style tomato sauce with large chunks of yellow and red bell peppers and onions. On Sabbath just fry the cornmeal slices, heat up the tomato/veggie sauce. In the winter I serve broccoli as a side dish, in the summer zucchini. Serve with a tossed salad with garlic bread and you gave a tasty Sabbath meal.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »

This is so weird. Thought somehow my family was the only one. I have never run into anyone that had ever tried it

Womzie

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 05:14:04 AM »

I've never had cornmeal and didn't know it was what you called Bubble and Squeak.  I've always thought of Bubble and Squeak as leftover vegies fried together and had for breakfast.  My Dad used to refer to it as YMCA (Yesterdays Meal Cooked Again)...

Womzie (from Australia)

guide4him

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »

No matter where I lived I had always heard fried cornmeal was a southern dish. While living in the south, I poured maple syrup over it after frying in butter or margarine. Never heard of it served any other way. I would have served it more often. I like the idea of adding veges to it. Sounds like it would make a great lunch or supper meal.

Ozzie

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 08:00:05 PM »

Yes. It sure brings back lots of memories. I remember my dear old Dad making bubble and squeak for us kids at times. Sometimes, he served it with a little rabbit that he'd caught. :oops:  :rabbit:

The Managers used to make bubble and squeak for us when we first moved to these Units, but seems that now the left over veggies are made into something called 'Frittata'. Still nice, but I loved the earllier version.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

Another way my husband likes fried corn meal, for breakfast or a light supper, is with vanilla pudding poured over it and sliced peaches on top. It is not as sweet as maple syrup, more fruity, but like dessert for supper.

Ozzie

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »

I've never had cornmeal and didn't know it was what you called Bubble and Squeak.  I've always thought of Bubble and Squeak as leftover vegies fried together and had for breakfast.  My Dad used to refer to it as YMCA (Yesterdays Meal Cooked Again)...

Womzie (from Australia)

Womazie, sounds like your Dad has some great ideas, just my dear ole Dad used too. Never thought of it as YMCA, but what a terrific acronym.

It's also great served for brekkie with an egg. That's how my husband likes it (plus the usual tomato sauce for him).
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up