Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Magical Loaf Studio: Design Your Own Adventist-Style Vegan Dinner Loaf  (Read 10670 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member

Vegan Lunch Box is a food blog from Jennifer McCann. Jennifer has written a cookbook: The Vegan Lunch Box. The following quote is from a post on her blog in which she talks about The Magical Loaf Studio: Design Your Own Adventist-Style Vegan Dinner Loaf!. You can find it linked here: http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

A year or so ago I took a vegetarian cooking class put on by members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. One thing the SDA has opened my eyes to is the wonder of the Dinner Loaf. Loaves seem to me to be especially emblematic of vegetarian Adventist cuisine (that and Loma Linda and Worthington brand canned "meats").

The teacher gave us all a nifty handout showing how we could create our own "Entree Loaf" by choosing one item from each category. Because I apparently have nothing better to do today (and it's 100 degrees outside and I don't want to move), I have recreated this handy form online.

That's right, my friends! Visit The Magical Loaf Studio and you, too, can custom-design your very own Adventist-style Dinner Loaf!

So, go to the page, design your own veggie loaf, make it, post your recipe in this thread and give us a review of your results!

Sister

• Veteran Member

Has anyone made a dinner loaf yet?

Sister

• Veteran Member

I have designed the following SDA Dinner Loaf, I call it Sister's Lentil Loaf. Anyone want to give it a try?

Ingredients:

1/2 cup walnuts
2 TB vegetable oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
Two celery ribs, diced
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 to 1/2 cup tomato juice, as needed
1 heaping TB flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).

Grind the walnuts into a coarse meal using a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Sauté any vegetables you've chosen in the vegetable oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice. Serve with potatoes, vegetables, and vegetarian gravy, if desired.

Cold leftover slices of make a great sandwich filling.

Michael Kopper

Re: The Magical Loaf Studio: Design Your Own Adventist-Style Vegan Dinner Loaf
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

im new to this.  whats vegan?

Emma

Re: The Magical Loaf Studio: Design Your Own Adventist-Style Vegan Dinner Loaf
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 02:20:59 AM »

welome here, Michael.

Vegan means no animal products of any kind, including dairy and eggs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up