Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adventists urged to vote against Maryland slot machines.....  (Read 9816 times)

reddogs

Here is something on the news...

"...Adventists urged to vote against Maryland slot machines
Spike in crime, addiction expected if referendum passes, church leaders say

Adventist Church leader Roy Adams is urging church members in Maryland to vote against a referendum that would legalize slot machines in the state, which is home to the headquarters of the global Protestant denomination. In a recent editorial addressed to Marylanders, Adams said gambling would increase addictions and endanger families in the state.

Seventh-day Adventist Church members should join concerned Maryland residents by voting against a referendum on their November ballot to authorize 15,000 slot machines across the state, church officials agreed in a leadership meeting this week.

In a May 22 editorial in the Adventist Review, associate editor Roy Adams urged Maryland Adventists to join him in galvanizing concerned citizens against the "critical" referendum, which, if passed, would amend the state's constitution.

He suggested Adventists support coalitions against the proposal and write letters to their governor and other prominent state leaders, among other tangible ways to influence voters and legislators alike.

Maryland is home to the headquarters of the 16 million-strong global Protestant denomination....."

http://news.adventist.org/data/2008/1211469645/index.html.en

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/statements/main_stat49.html

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:52:34 AM by reddogs »

Johann

Re: Adventists urged to vote against Maryland slot machines.....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »

Does gambling go hand in hand with liqueur?

Ozzie

Re: Adventists urged to vote against Maryland slot machines.....
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »

Does gambling go hand in hand with liqueur?

In my experience, it does Johann. They are both addictions.

It quite amazed me when I was working in drug/alcohol services, how we were 'treating their drug and/or alcohol problem, but yet, many clients would be lined up at the public phone booths, to place their bets on the horses or the dogs or whatever. I remember staff comments about one particular person "He would bet on two flies crawling up a wall". Sad, but true.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.
Pages: [1]   Go Up