Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was Jesus Paid to Minister?  (Read 4872 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Was Jesus Paid to Minister?
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »

Ok, I know this question tends to raise hackles, but it is valid and I would like to see it answered.

The priestly orders of the Old Testament were on the payroll, and their "ministry" was a career for which they were paid. Jesus and the apostles were not paid to minister. What they provided was absolutely free, and tithes and offerings were used to provide food and other wherewithall to the needy. I question the Christianity of ministry that is sold for money. IMHO, it is cheapened from ministry to commodity. "Pay me enough and I'll minister to you." I may have missed something and stand ready to be corrected, but when did Jesus ever put a monetary price on anything he ever did for anyone? At what point did he require payment? I seem to recall an event where some merchants saw an opportunity to make money off the ministry of some of the apostles, and were dealt with rather harshly for it. But again, I could be wrong.

tinka

• Veteran Member
Re: Was Jesus Paid to Minister?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:32:20 AM »

Not sure if this might be what your asking but...what about the 10% clear back to Melchizedek. and then the offerings of Cain and Able. One offering was exceptable and the other not. Not sure.. but would not that be considered as giving back or "paying" back for blessings of all God's gifts to us as all assets are His anyways. Isn't that why we are robbing when we don't give back?

But then maybe your referring to giving "ministeries" for money in programming rights. Not sure ?? or paying out to have ministeries "programmed"? Then there is the ones who make money from religion, Amish, Mennonite and now US????? Oh, boy!!!

If that is the case, then somebody has to pay somebody for the airing of programs.  But then if pew money is paying --then why the additional???? Guess my questions come from not knowing how the programming works in different applications. Just know that somebody pays for something. :dunno:    :ROFL:  Murcielago, you got me?? But sure your talking about the books of profit from non profit....

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »

This, Murcielago, is a very interesting question. 

I tend to think of the "ministries" as completely different, and because there is president, ministers, pastors(as it applies to modern times) can get paid to do ministry full time, as the priests did.  I see pastors ministry more closely related to that of the priests, as they both had/have to deal with the day in and out of the spiritual needs of the people.  Jesus, resembled more in the line of an evangelist, where he came to town had a meeting, etc. and moved to the next place.  Both I feel are very necessary to reach people, as people are reached in different ways.  I am not sure but I don't believe there were "formal" groups formed(other than His disciples) that followed the teachings of Jesus, until after his ascension.   There were supporters everywhere He went, but the multitudes just seem to follow Him where ever He went, or when they heard He would be a certain place. 

All that said, I do understand you point, that maybe the priestly system was part of the "law" also fulfilled by Jesus, if we think of His current work in the Heavenly sanctuary.  That would most definitely leave current pastors, evangelist, etc. to follow more the example in ministry of Jesus and the disciples/apostle, and minister wtihout pay.   

Another point to be made is that Jesus ministry was intentionally shortlived, but then that of the apostles was not.......quite a quandry, indeed!  LOL!!

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »

Ellen White has quite a bit to say about the subject of remuneration. Some of the statements are a bit surprising.

abrasax

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »

I think Jesus took the approach of an early buddhist monk. He preached because he wanted to, not because he wanted to be paid. Jesus could have kept on being a carpenter if he wanted the money. He begged for his food, we like to think of people always being there to give to him but he probably had to beg for many of his meals.

As far as today's standards for payment of pastors and priests, we live in a much more money based society. Pastors and preachers are not willing to give up the comforts of having money, house, family and even cars. Everyone else has them and they feel entitled to them. I am not trying to say if this is wrong or right but this is what it is. In order for preachers to make a living they need people to give them money. Whether you consider it a payment or a gift is up to you. Does God care if we give or not? No, I am sure he is much more concerned with our salvation than how much money is in the preachers pocket. It is our duty to love and spread that loving message not to support the clergy. Preachers can decide for themselves what the most important thing is money or the message. It is easy for a preacher who is well off to praise God and deliver sermons but it is even easier for a true man of God who is dirt poor to preach. I am not saying it is wrong or right to give to your church or be a wealthy preacher, we can't decide these things.
The world would be a better place if everyone listened to the bible lessons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up