Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: In the Beginning  (Read 25169 times)

Hakim

Re: In the Beginning
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »

Johann,
You offer some interesting philosophical notes on time. Philosophy is not my long suit, so I look at it as interesting -- unless it is grossly false, such as what the evolutionists come up with.

About the human condition:  I believe that time allows us to organize our lives.  What would life be like if we could take off for the some distant planet and come back yesterday, last week, etc.  Would we then have to live that day, week, etc over again? Or could we then modify our interactions with others? Thus history would be a fluid thing -- being constantly modified.

Material existence, living on this earth, and the laws of gravity and physics help us to organize and keep our things in place. It gives us a work to do. These physical realities are what we see as a "real existence."  Will living in the New Earth be a real existence? I believe that the picture we get from the Bible is that we do live real lives.  If Eden will be restored, we will have trees, vines, houses, real food, etc. I believe that God "loves material," He made so much of it!
-------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Johann

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 05:39:35 AM »

Hubert,

Philosophy is not my cup of tea. Physics and astronomy were among my favorite subjects many years ago, so it is more from that perspective I approach the idea of time. But those subjects 60 years ago were so different from what is known today. . .

Now that I am retired, and theoretically can do just what I want to do, time becomes even more important, and I must aske the Lord to guide me even more in my selections in what to do.

We believe there will be a thousand year period when we will be living apart from the time limits of this earth. If the years there do not consist of 365  24-hour time periods, how will we know when the 1000 years are finished? Or will that not make any difference to us?

Johann

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 05:43:13 AM »

My mother used to warn me that one fool can ask a questions which 10 wise men will not be able to answer.

guide4him

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

I would like to say I appreciate all the different posts in this forum. I am learning a lot.

My take is probably a bit simplistic.

First I had read Genesis and the story of the world being made in seven days.

Then in John when he talked about "In the beginning..." I assumed he was talking about the beginning of God making our earth. I had believed that God is forever, no begining and no end.

Just like Jesus had said, "Before Abraham was, I AM."

Johann

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 06:13:22 AM »

And the wonderful thing about God is that he gives the sinner a new beginning when he comes to Christ in repentance., and starts teaching the sinner "all things" that pertain to salvation and sanctification.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 08:02:45 AM »

A belated "Amen" in response to the last post here. :)

Johann

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 03:53:24 AM »

A belated "Amen" in response to the last post here. :)

What was that again?

Johann

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:05 AM »

When is the beginning and the end? Creation? Sabbath?

There is an item you need badly, but the current price is higher than what your budget allows right now. It is Saturday afternoon and you have had sundown worship with your family when you pick up the mail you had not read the last few days. There is an advertisement for the item you need at a special sale price which closes today. The store happens to be in a different time zone where the sun has not set yet. If you had been at the place where the store is you would never have gone in there to do business on the Sabbath. But now you happen to be where the sun has set, and you can call the store and make you order by phone. You have to hurry to make it before that store closes.

What is the appropriate thing to do?

christian

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »

That is a very very easy question to answer. Obviously you will not buy it because you value the Sabbath sacredness more than the item you are trying to purchase.

But a harder question to answer is how can something be perfect and then make itself imperfect? The term perfect by its very nature would make the thing incapable of being imperfect. Unless our definition of perfection is incorrect. And how can perfection create imperfection? Something to ponder, but not get confused with because God in time will answer all questions. Better to do good and love thy neighbor than to make an excuse for evil (smile).

When is the beginning and the end? Creation? Sabbath?

There is an item you need badly, but the current price is higher than what your budget allows right now. It is Saturday afternoon and you have had sundown worship with your family when you pick up the mail you had not read the last few days. There is an advertisement for the item you need at a special sale price which closes today. The store happens to be in a different time zone where the sun has not set yet. If you had been at the place where the store is you would never have gone in there to do business on the Sabbath. But now you happen to be where the sun has set, and you can call the store and make you order by phone. You have to hurry to make it before that store closes.

What is the appropriate thing to do?

mrst53

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

My son attended Washington University in St. Louis, Mo. He had a Professor,who said that she believed in the Big Bang, but that God created the Big Bang. the kids just looked at her. She looked back, because this was a Science class. She asked them,why this was so hard to believe and to imagine, what it would have been like. Imagine, she said.. blackness.. and then God speaks..and then there is something from nothing.. Can you imagine the "BANG"!!?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up