Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the meaning of "Islam"  (Read 7404 times)

sky

• (Not the same Sky at Maritime)
the meaning of "Islam"
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »

On another forum, someone asked what "Islam" meant. Most answers were that it meant "submission to God's will" or "Peace be unto you." I didn't have any clue "Islam" meant anything like that. I find that very interesting. But I doubt that even the Muslim, generally speaking, understand what it really means. Not many people do. Even the Jews to whom the sacred oracles had been entrusted to, for the most part, did not understand what submission to God's will really was, and they still don't. The veil is still over their eyes. O, they understood that His will was expressed in His law but instead of letting the word itself accomplish the will of God in them, they went about trying to establish their own righteousness. God had said, "My word shall accomplish that which I please," ( Isaiah 55:11) but in their unbelief their ears were not opened. They forgot that the word of God was self-fulfilling, for in every command of the word of God is the power, the very life of God, by which the command may be fulfilled or the promise realized, for every command that proceeds out of the mouth of God is a promise, a most positive promise of its own fulfilment, a promise of the Spirit to fill up the measure of the law's requirement.

There is nothing new under the sun. How many people, today, among those who profess to be Christians, even among those who profess to believe present truth, understand the law of God's mouth? how many understand God's sacred oracles? How many realize that the ten commandments are "living oracles"? Acts 7:38.

The Psalmist understood it, for he said, "I will never forget Your commandments, for by them You have given me life." Psalm 119:93. "All Your commandments are righteousness." Psalm 119:172. "Righteousness is love and love is the light and the life of God." M.B.18. "And the life of God in the soul is man's only hope." M.H.115. The Psalmist understood this: "God's power, His very life, dwells in His word. Receive the word in faith and IT will give you power to obey." M.B.150. If we believe His commandments, the word will make us partakers of the divine nature in Christ Jesus. John 6:63; 2 Peter 1:4. This is how we receive Christ, through His word. "We receive Christ through His word." Mount of Blessing, p.112. We receive Him through His word, not written merely, but spoken! See M.H.122. This is what Jesus said in John 6:63. "The reception of the word, the bread from Heaven, is declared to be the reception of Christ Himself." 3 RH 519. "The entrance of Your word gives light." Ps.119:130; Eph.5:14.

sky

And if the word "Islam" means "Peace be unto you", it is the same. "His commandment is everlasting life." John 12:50. Since He has paid the ransom, out of Zion the Lord has commanded the blessing, "Peace be unto you." "Peace, peace to him who is afar off and to him who is near." Isa.57:19. He speaks and it is done! This is the peace of God that passes all understanding, the peace that will keep your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus. The peace of God is immediately with us if we believe His commandments. Ps.119:66. And the life thus imparted (life of God) is in like manner sustained, by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Matt.4:4.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:29:53 AM by sky »

Johann

Re: the meaning of "Islam"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »

In my early ministry I baptized a number of former Muslims who had discovered the greater truth and a deeper salvation in Jesus Christ.

The definition "submission to God's will" seem to be what most Muslims understand. Before you read to them the Scripture definition of submission, there are a number of points these Muslims need to  understand first. They think our Bible is a corruption of the true revelation of God, and that God called Mohamed to give them a truer rendition of Scripture. Just like some Seventh-day Adventists think you need the writings of Ellen White to understand the Bible today, many Muslims believe the Koran will help them understand all truth, including the Bible. So reading Bible texts to them is just like casting pearls on swine.

Scripture teaches us what is the truth, but will it do the same to the Muslim as long as he is a Muslim?
Pages: [1]   Go Up