Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading the Writings of Ellen White  (Read 50919 times)

Brick

Re: Reading the Writings of Ellen White
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »

I think the clincher showing the relationship the church must bear to the “greater” and the “lesser” lights, is described in the prophetic allegory of Revelation 12.  The sun is portrayed as the greater light; the moon, which reflects light from the sun, as the lesser light.  Both lights are indispensable  to the woman, who symbolizes the church.  She is clothed with the sun, and stands on the moon.  In this allegory, Jesus and His perfect righteousness are like the sun with which the woman is clothed; and the Bible—the word, the testimony of Christ through His prophets—is like the moon upon which the woman—the church—stands.  As I see it, the sun and moon symbols in relation to the woman are explained at the end of Revelation 12.

“And the dragon was wrath with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God [this is like the woman and her seed clothed with the sun, the greater light], and have the testimony of Jesus Christ [this is like the woman and her seed standing on the moon, the lesser light].”  Revelation 12:17. 

“… I am thy fellowservant and of thy brethren the prophets that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy [the lesser light, as demonstrated in the lives and writings of all the true prophets down through the ages, including Ellen White].”  Revelation 19:10.

I believe when considering the greater light, lesser light issue, the overall testimony of Inspiration and the Holy Spirit say it is fitting to place the above words of Revelation 19:10 into the mouth of Ellen White, whose witness is also prophesied at the end of Revelation 12.

A testimony via a prophet in the here and now is “lesser light” only in that it must be tested and proved by the already established authority of the testimony of the prophets of the past.   Even in Bible times, any new person claiming to be a prophet or have light from God, had to have their witness and words judged by the writings of established prophets, right back to Moses.  This is what was happening in Peter’s sermon on the Day of Pentecost, and Stephen’s sermon to the Sanhedrin in Acts 7.  It was right and safe to reject new teachings only if they contradicted what God’s prophets had said in the past.

When it is understood that the sun symbolizes Christ and His righteousness, and the moon His witness and testimony through the prophets, how awesomely significant that associated with the 1260 years of papal supremacy and the final time of trouble for this world, the Bible prophesies that the sun will be literally darkened and the moon turned to blood!  But though terribly persecuted and trodden down, the Revelation 12 woman, symbol of God’s remnant church, is assuredly not in His eyes dressed in “filthy rags.”  Undeceived like the rest of the world, owned by Him, putting on His robe of perfect righteousness so that it becomes her own (see Revelation 19:8), in a telling sense she is still by His grace looking forth “as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners.”  Solomon 6:10.

Any church claiming to be God’s remnant must be able to establish its teachings upon the writings of the prophets right back to Moses.  Decade after decade, century after century, millennium after millennium, new light has added to (yes, like salt, it has enhanced) but never contradicted old light.  In a recent series on 3ABN Pr Stephen Bohr has shown that the major teachings of Seventh-day Adventism can all be firmly established just from the writings of Moses.  Is there another church anywhere on earth that could make such a claim?

Vitally important though the place of the Bible be in the life of the church, I feel it is an error and we lose much by saying Ellen White’s writings are the “lesser light” pointing to the Bible rather than to Christ as the “greater light.”  I have read books of the Bible and by Ellen White many times over, and, like thousands of others, have sensed the presence of the same Holy Spirit in all these writings.  For me, I am constrained and not ashamed to say that:-

the “lesser light” of Inspiration (the moon, upon which the Revelation 12 woman stands) is “the spirit of prophecy”—the witness and writings of prophets and holy men in the Bible, AND the witness and writings of Ellen White in more recent times.

the “greater light” of Inspiration (the sun, which clothes the woman of Revelation 12), is our Creator and wonderful Saviour, Christ Himself, and His unblemished righteousness, which He offers as a free gift to those who believe on Him. 

Brick

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 11:59:17 PM »

(Just to prove I can do short posts...)

“If their is an error today it is that SDA students are not required to read the entire conflict of the ages series.”  Gailon Arthur Joy.

AMEN! 

Johann

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »

There seems to be something special about a positive discussion of the Writings, although it cannot be compared with reading and studying. We have such convenient tools today. I find a delight in reading a section of the Bible until something really grips my attention. Then I copy that text on to a page in WORD. While writing I meditate and write down my thoughts and comparison with other texts this one reminds me of. Then I use the EGW search engine to find passages that gives greater enlightening on the theme of the text.

This for devotional study. Other methods can be used for doctrinal issues or prophetic interpretations.

Johann

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »

:welcome: to this forum, Brick! You probably stay awake when I am sleeping?

Brick

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »

Thanks for the welcome. 

Among those who post it's good to see a handful from my timezone.  But at least sometimes it seems all the action happens when it's sleep time for "down-unders" like us.  But - obviously, given an extra hour or two, we can at least connect eventually.

It's Friday afternoon for us, so will say blessings, and   

:sabbath:

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 01:08:50 AM »

Thanks for the welcome. 

Among those who post it's good to see a handful from my timezone.  But at least sometimes it seems all the action happens when it's sleep time for "down-unders" like us.  But - obviously, given an extra hour or two, we can at least connect eventually.

It's Friday afternoon for us, so will say blessings, and   

:sabbath:

Yes. It's those blessed hours again here too.   :sabbath:

Emma

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 02:41:31 AM »

I am another from the Bottom Bunk - and very glad to see Sabbath here.

Tsatsui

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 07:15:51 AM »

I came to inherit a few books from my great grand mother's sister, which I kept close because of my love for her.  Many years later in looking for truth, I began to actually read them.  What surprised me the most was the sometimes small but highly significant differences between those books and the ones currently offered for sale.  In discovering the "old paths" there seems to be much left to those willing to search diligently.

I counted it a great privilege that we used books by Ellen White as our English textbooks in school for three years. We missed some of the classic textbooks, but what did we miss? Later, at Emmanuel Missionary College, I was introduced to some of the Classic writers in our English classes. But then we were, at times in Bible classes expected to memorize whole paragraphs from her writings.

Are we sufficiently exposed to her writings - or too much - in our school systems today?

daylily

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

I appreciate the writings of Ellen White. The first book I ever read of hers was "The Great Controversy". I was still a member of another denomination at the time I read it. I loved it. I've always enjoyed history and that book fit right in!

One thing I appreciate aside from the spiritual blessings is her sense of humor. I've never heard anyone mention it except for my son and daughters. We all get a kick out of it.

daylily

daylily

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »

Some time ago I posted a comment on BSDA about Ellen White's good sense of humor and nobody ever commented on it. And no one has commented here either. Doesn't anybody else see or appreciate her sense of humor? Or should a prophet not have one?  :)

Johann

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 09:20:40 AM »

When we visited Elmshaven back in 1966 the guide told us about the humor of Ellen White and gave us some samples.

M. L. Andreassen made a great discovery when he visited Ellen White in her home. He was surprised to get acquainted with a prophet who could laugh, but he got used to it while he was there.

Sunburn

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »

Jim Nix has some wonderful stories concerning EG White humor. Roger Coon as well, related some wonderful stories. She also liked to bake cookies for her grandchildren.

daylily

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 03:19:05 PM »

I'm glad others see it too :)  I'm thinking primarily of certain words and word pictures she used. We really love "word humor".

JohnH

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »

M. L. Andreassen made a great discovery when he visited Ellen White in her home. He was surprised to get acquainted with a prophet who could laugh, but he got used to it while he was there.

I love that story from MLA.  It's online at http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/andreasen/10.htm; scroll down to p. 77.
Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe His prophets, so shall ye prosper. -- 2 Chronicles 20:20

daylily

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 04:02:51 AM »

A very interesting story. Thanks for sharing:)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up