Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looks like its Obama.........  (Read 24509 times)

christined

Re: Looks like its Obama.........
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 07:19:18 AM »

We have to remember that God is still the Supreme ruler and He will let whoever be President that is in His plan for our country and the world.  We do have to follow our conscience and let God lead in our decison making. :usa:

reddogs

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »

We have to remember that God is still the Supreme ruler and He will let whoever be President that is in His plan for our country and the world.  We do have to follow our conscience and let God lead in our decison making. :usa:

...as I always say, 'God leads and we follow'...

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »

We know that she wasn't asked to be VP, however, a surprise took place on the McCain side in which a lady was asked to be his VP, which may very well translate into a lot of female votes that supported Obama now supporting McCain.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:37 PM »

We know that she wasn't asked to be VP, however, a surprise took place on the McCain side in which a lady was asked to be his VP, which may very well translate into a lot of female votes that supported Obama now supporting McCain.

I am not sure it is strictly female votes for female VP. It loks like the democrates  have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Sarah Palin has done what they supposedly have been working towards for years. You can have it all,almost the ultimate in careers,be a mom,wife etc. Now they seem to have a problem with Sarah Palin not staying home with her children and relying on dad to help.

I belong to several business and hobby forums.  The designs are already out,Lipstick republican and Caribou Barbie.
When they went after her children almost to a woman on these forums are claiming to plan on voting for McCain-Palin.
Her straight forward manner also helps a great deal. The dems have now sent thirty operatives to see what they can dig up.
A fake auction in ebay style ,or at least I hope it was fake, Made many a mother furious. Auction for mentally handicapped baby, used as prop in ad,child downs syndrome needing extra care etc. There is more than one of these.

One blog was so hateful that he is lucky a group of vigilante moms didn't take after him with a knife.
He doesn't want to have to spend the next four years looking at a downs syndrome baby as they are#$%^ to look at.

I think this one caught them of guard and they must really be worried with this selection to act to act this hateful.

She is far more articulate when she is interviewed than Obama.  The more they pile on her I thinl the worse it will get for Obama
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Johann

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »

If God has already decided who will be the next president of the United States, does that mean that votes will not count?

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »

As God will not interfere with the free will of his created beings, it isn't that God has already decided as much as what God already knows.

reddogs

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »

If God has already decided who will be the next president of the United States, does that mean that votes will not count?

Well I am a precinct 'Inspector' in the election so if the vote is already in, let me know and I'll tell the guys to pack up the voting booths and roll up the carpet as its all done, no use running around like a hamster in a cage....... :hamster:

sonshineonme

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »

I do not believe that God picks the presidents. People do. I believe God uses the choices (whether they be honest votes, stolen votes, manipulated votes) and they fit His ultimate plan and will. I believe He lives in the hearts of many who are in some kind of office, who have a desire to protect freedom.

I am still praying each day that McCain wins. We could be here for another 50 years, and I have to vote my conscience. Even if we are only here another 5 years, I still have to vote my conscience. That is what each person should do and is obligated to do. We were created with thinking minds to make choices, God made us this way on purpose, so anyone who is passive and thinks you are do to nothing, is, well, misguided at best.

As I watch the decline of so many's morals, values, and the fact the people simply forget and become blindsided by the "me" factor, it only reminds me that what ultimately kills this world - self (in all the ways it rears it's ugly head).

I think our prayers are heard in these types of things (elections) as well as others. We need to pray for our leaders. There are many sincere, earnest, caring people that serve this country in one way or another, and that counts for so much. All hope is not gone, nor will it ever be all gone, but sin will be every stronger in those that have no room for God in their life.

Ok, off the 'ol soapybox.  :hamster:
"...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. "

Oh Yeah

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 10:08:43 PM »

Someone is working hard to make sure that votes in Ohio and such states are not counted. I believe it has gone to the Supreme Court.

sonshineonme

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »

Someone is working hard to make sure that votes in Ohio and such states are not counted. I believe it has gone to the Supreme Court.

Yes, many people are working to make sure all those phony and fake voter registrations do not turn into votes (if they haven't already). What a disgrace.
I'm sure it's a curious thing to many as well how so many were told who to vote for. Another disgrace.
"...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. "

Johann

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 06:13:40 AM »

MORE THAN POLITICS
Read former Adventist Review editor William Johnsson's analysis of what Barack Obama's election means for Seventh-day Adventists.

The election of Barack Obama as forty-fourth President of the United States of America is more than politics—much more. It is a phenomenon that Adventists, regardless of party preference, cannot fail to notice.

When Obama announced his candidacy in February, 2007, almost no one gave him any chance of winning the Democratic party nomination, let alone the presidency. Only one hint of possible success might be discerned: from the outset he attracted large crowds, many of them made up of young people. As the months unfolded and the crowds continued to build, another plus emerged—his ability to raise large sums of money for the campaign. Eventually, with millions of supporters donating amounts large and small, his coffers swelled to unprecedented proportions.

As Obama went from strength to strength, the world began to pay attention. The long, hard-fought contest with John McCain was covered in detail by the media everywhere. And on election night, when the young man of mixed race was declared the winner, the outpouring of emotion in America spilled out around the world.

As I write, much of the United States is gripped by euphoria. The expectations raised by Obama's election are huge—scarily so. Civic leaders in the nation's capital are preparing for possibly the largest crowd in the city's history for his inauguration on January 20, 2009—3 million visitors are expected to pour into Washington.

I think that it will take years for the impact of Obama's election to be fully grasped. Many people have a vague sense of something big happening before their eyes, that they are living through a kairos, a moment when the wheel of history has turned sharply. They lined up several blocks to snatch up major newspapers, which had to go back to the press time and again. They wanted to have a record for their children and grandchildren (Blackberry didn't cut it).

Responses from Adventists to Obama's election run the gamut from speculations about End-time scenarios to moving to Washington to work for the new government. I have met people from both ends—those from the latter being bright, White young adults. To them I would caution that euphoria is short-lived and popularity fickle. And to those at the other end, I would give a reminder that every time a new President has been elected during the past 30 years that I have lived in the United States, similar dire warnings have surfaced among some Adventists.

Yes, we need to keep our eyes wide open, but even more we need to devote ourselves to the mission that lies at our doorstep and trust in the Lord who holds the future. Yes, it is good to throw one's energies behind a high ideal, but we should never forget that Jesus, our Lord, must be permitted to shape our highest ideals.

What, then, can Adventists contemplating the Obama phenomenon agree on, regardless of their political leanings? Three things at least, I think:

First, and biblically, on the duty to respect Barack Obama as the forty-fourth President of the United States. We Adventists believe that "the authorities that exist have been established by God" and that we should "give everyone what [we] owe him. If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, the revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor" (Rom. 13:1, 7)

Further, we should pray for the President and the leaders of his government. "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority [read: the President]. . ." (1 Tim. 2:1, 2). The times are dangerous, the future uncertain. President Obama needs our prayers.

Some elements in society have reacted in alarming ways to Obama's election. Seventh-day Adventists must express their abhorrence of all manifestations of hatred: the upswing in cross burnings, media figures who spew out disrespect for the new president, defacing of others' property, children in buses chanting "Assassinate Obama," and so on.

Second, on the lift the election has given to African Americans. I was deeply moved to see the reaction of Black leaders as it became clear that Obama had bested his opponent. Tears flowed freely down the faces of champions of the civil rights movement; disbelief that this could happen slowly gave way to the reality of the numbers playing on the TV screens.

Those of us who do not share that history of horse-whips, lynchings, segregated water fountains, slights, insults and denial of the right to vote can never enter fully the experience of Black Americans. At last—at long last—the magnificent words of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. . ." have become living truth for them. No, we cannot enter, but we can watch from outside, and rejoice in their rejoicing, whether we voted Democrat or Republican.

African Americans constitute a large segment of the Adventist Church in the North American Division. Since the fateful night of November 4, I discern a difference: they stand a little taller, their eyes shine brighter. As a lover of freedom for all people, I thank God for this change.

Third, on the implications of the Obama phenomenon for Seventh-day Adventists. Barack Obama's basic message, articulated in his 2006 book The Audacity of Hope, had two strings—hope and unity. He proclaimed an upbeat vision where people from all backgrounds—rich and poor, Black, White, and Hispanic—come together to build a better America. It was a message that resonated with the times, propelling him from relative obscurity to the White House.

While the details are different, that message is strikingly similar to our message as Adventists. We are about hope; we are a people of hope. We are about hope for a better life here and now, and hope for a future beyond this earth. And we are about a new humanity made one through the Cross of Jesus Christ, a humanity drawn from "every nation, kindred, tongue, and people" (Rev. 14:6, 7) to meet the returning Lord Jesus.

Obama's message brought great success; ours too, under the blessing the Lord, is reaping a rich harvest. Adventists are everywhere; we are a global phenomenon. Leaders of society, of other churches and of other religions, are noticing, are seeking to know more about us, who we are and what makes us a dynamic force in the world.

But we can learn from the Obama phenomenon. Obama's team stayed on message; too often we do not. We let a host of private agendas move in and crowd out the message we have for the world. And all too often the new humanity that Christ came to establish becomes fractured by considerations of race, caste, prejudice and other factors that have no place in God's kingdom.

As a world church, we have a long way to go to demonstrate the new humanity in Christ.

In North America, we have a long way to go to demonstrate that the ugliness of racism, particularly racism that involves Whites and Blacks, no longer finds a home among Seventh-day Adventists.

May the Lord Jesus, He who is Himself our Blessed Hope, lead us out of the darkness of the past and into the fullness of His light.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »

I noticed that Clarence Thomas has asked the Supreme Court to consider Alan Keyes' lawsuit which raises questions about whether Obama meets the citizenship requirements to be president.

Well, no one can accuse Keyes and Thomas of racism.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 07:48:39 PM »

It seems I saw a copy of something called a birth certificate online.  Whether it is legal or not, I do not know.

But I have to ask;  If he is not eligible to be the president of the US, what will happen?  Who will the next president be?  Just curious.

sonshineonme

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »

It seems I saw a copy of something called a birth certificate online.  Whether it is legal or not, I do not know.

But I have to ask;  If he is not eligible to be the president of the US, what will happen?  Who will the next president be?  Just curious.

We talked about this very thing at supper in my house tonight.

Johann

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 03:02:40 AM »

When I read the allegations about his citizenship I recall the class I had in college on American Government where we studied the requirements to become a president of the United States. We were told the presidency of the United States was the only office in this country which is not open to any citizen of the United States. In all other aspects a born and a naturalized citizen have equal rights. Schwarzenegger and Henry Kissinger had no problems becoming a governor of California or Secretary of State, but neither of the two could ever become President because neither of them were born in the United States. It seems like I read somewhere that Henry Kissinger was very sad to know that he could never become president.

It appears that Obama was born in Hawaii, so the question then is, is that island a part of the United States of America?

There seems to be a question of dual citizenship. I have two brothers-in-law who were born in Michigan but brought up in Germany during the Second World War under Adolf Hitler, and there they were regarded as German citizens until American troops conquered Nazism, and then the re-established American consulate granted them their brand new American passports - with no questions raised.

When I took that college class we never saw that a dual citizenship prevented a person born in the United States from becoming President. But you never know what some people may be able to dig up? Some lawyers seem clever. . . as they re-interpret laws to mean something that was not intended.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up