Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fruit Soup  (Read 6243 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Fruit Soup
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »

Was another frequent item. My mother used to buy all the dried fruit she could and then we dried much of our own.
Threw it all in a pot and slow simmered it. When all was cooked we added tapioca for thickening. Served with fresh cream for breakfast.

I love this but is so hard to get the quanity right for just two of us.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

guide4him

Re: Fruit Soup
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:43:53 PM »

while I was in boarding school (SDA) on Friday evening suppers we were served another version of fruit soup. The staff would heat mixed fruit and used corn starch to thicken. This was served over buttered toast. I fell in love with it. Through the years I would cook it this way but recently someone else taught me another version; one large can Elberta peaches and two small cans apricots and thickened with corn starch but also added heafty table spoon of butter and about a table spoon of lemon juice concentrate. Then served over toast. yes it is difficult to make just enough for one or two. Usually I make so much it lasts for day or so.

Habanero

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »

Mmmm. Sounds good. I have always had the version with the tapioca but not with dried fruit. It was always fresh or canned. Fruit soup over zweibach toast.

W.I.L.T

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 07:18:19 AM »

Yes, good ole fruit soup.

Topped with sliced bananas or kwii.

Sometimes we added marshmellows to our bowl of soup.

Fruit soup served in the bowl or over toast or with cornbread.

W.I.L.T

christined

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »

Fruit soup is a wonderful Friday night supper.  I make it light with mixed fruit, peaches, etc.  Or dark with berries of any kind.  Use a 12 oz can of frozen apple juice for some of the liguid to sweeten the berries.  A can of pineapple is great with either kind.  Make either kind  a little thicker and it is a great topping for pancakes, waffles or toast.  Use your culinary creativity. :dogwag:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:47:40 AM »

Fruit soup is a wonderful Friday night supper.  I make it light with mixed fruit, peaches, etc.  Or dark with berries of any kind.  Use a 12 oz can of frozen apple juice for some of the liguid to sweeten the berries.  A can of pineapple is great with either kind.  Make either kind  a little thicker and it is a great topping for pancakes, waffles or toast.  Use your culinary creativity. :dogwag:

I am more than a little surprised. My siblings and I were convinced this was the fare because we were a little on the poor side growing up.

Guess we can no longer complain about our deprived childhood when it comes to the grocery dept. I am totally serious,we thought these types of dishes were because of poverty :ROFL:
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Emma

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »

A little off topic, but there were some good times from those "poor" childhoods, maybe today's generation missed out on things like creating our own amusements, the family togetherness.  I do not think such things are aided by computers and video games etc.  Do the old recipes taste so good now because at least partly of their memories?

Now Back to Topic :)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:10:45 PM »

A little off topic, but there were some good times from those "poor" childhoods, maybe today's generation missed out on things like creating our own amusements, the family togetherness.  I do not think such things are aided by computers and video games etc.  Do the old recipes taste so good now because at least partly of their memories?

Now Back to Topic :)

You are probably right.There were good times.  We did have different ways of having fun, that is for sure.
We had an apple orchard and my brother and I began making apple pies. Can't remember the bad ones, but we kept working at it till we had it just right.
Some of the grandchilldren have worked at the receipe and were so proud when they got it just right
 Can't imagine  most kids doing that and calling it fun.

GrammieT

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »

Oh, you guys and your 'depression diet food treats'.   :rabbit:  Has anybody ever put icecream on top of your fruit toast?  Yu-u-m-m!! A friend of mine showed me that one.  :-* But we just opened a can of mixed fruit, spooned it over hot buttered toast and put vanilla icecream on top.  Double yu-u-m-m!

My Mom truly did grow up in the depression and we pretty much had to live in that frame of reference as I grew up in the forties and fifties.  With six hungry mouths to feed she had to use any kind of ideas she could come up with.  We had the fried mush and Mom made another one that I hadn't thought of for ages until all of a sudden I got a hankerin' for it one day out of the blue.  She sliced potatoes, covered them with water, salt and poultry seasoning.   After the potatoes were almost cooked, she added ground beef (yes, people, ground beef - we weren't all close enough to the fake meat stores back then - not that there was a big lot of the stuff then anyway!  :ROFL:) and when it was cooked she added sliced bread on top.  That was another one I have recently ressurected and I just love it.  It's still pretty cheap and yes it's hard not to make too much of it.  But I like it so well that it gets eaten PDQ (pretty d*** quick! :oops:).  My daughter and son-in-love think it's pretty good too!  I sure do like them kids o'mine!  Sorry if you think I'm a great sinner - but I've never pretended to be a vegetarian and don't intend to start now.   :purr:

Have any of you ever had 'mock' chicken?  I think it was made with scrambled eggs and tomato juice with some of the great seasonings but I haven't tried that one since I've had my own kitchen, mainly because I don't know just how it is made.  I sure would like it if any of you could help me with that one. :pals: :thumbsup:

Ah-h-h,  them depression days, huh.  :console:

GrammieT    :dogwag:  :usa:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »

I never tried ice cream on fruit toast. We made our own ice cream and probably would never have considered it as it was few and far between. A special treat .  I think we had our own depression as well. Never knew we were poor until later. Thought everyone was.
Probably most were a lot more frugal then than we are now.
 She sliced potatoes, covered them with water, salt and poultry seasoning.   After the potatoes were almost cooked, she added ground beef (yes, people, ground beef - we weren't all close enough to the fake meat stores back then - not that there was a big lot of the stuff then anyway!  :ROFL:) and when it was cooked she added sliced bread on top.  That was another one I have recently ressurected and I just love it.  It's still pretty cheap and yes it's hard not to make too much of it.  But I like it so well that it gets eaten PDQ (pretty d*** quick! :oops:). 

Can you be more specific,sounds good.

My daughter and son-in-love think it's pretty good too!  I sure do like them kids o'mine!  Sorry if you think I'm a great sinner - but I've never pretended to be a vegetarian and don't intend to start now.   :purr:

We weren't vegetarian but we had little meat. To expensive even then to buy. For those that are I wonder how this would be with the vegetarian products in most grocery stores now.

If you can come up with the mock chicken I would love to have it.
We used to have dumplings with tomatoes,green pepper,onions and seasonings.
Bet there are some that would think we have taken leave of our senses "longing" for the good old days :thumbsup: :ROFL:

GrammieT

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »

Hey, Bonnie:  (My sister's name too!)   :pals:

Good eats is GOOD EATS   :thumbsup:  no matter where they comes from!  :ROFL:

Actually, there isn't a lot more detail to the Potato/Hamburger Soup but here goes.

Clean and/or peel at least three or four good size potatoes for a family of six, or more if that doesn't look like enough. ;) Just use the poultry seasoning and salt 'to taste' and you'll be okay.  Be sure to cover the sliced potatoes, red ones are best to my way of thinking, peeled or not, with water at least a couple of inches over the potatoes. Cook until potatoes are just tender.  Add a pound or so of hamburger pulled into bitesized pieces. Cook until meat is no longer pink.  Use enough bread (white or lighter bakery bread is what we used then, but homemade would be delicious too!) to soak up just enough of the water to leave some 'soup'.  Makes me mouth water jist a'thinkin' about it.  :rabbit:

GrammieT   :dogwag:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 05:45:29 PM »

Hey, Bonnie:  (My sister's name too!)   :pals:

Good eats is GOOD EATS   :thumbsup:  no matter where they comes from!  :ROFL:

Actually, there isn't a lot more detail to the Potato/Hamburger Soup but here goes.

Clean and/or peel at least three or four good size potatoes for a family of six, or more if that doesn't look like enough. ;) Just use the poultry seasoning and salt 'to taste' and you'll be okay.  Be sure to cover the sliced potatoes, red ones are best to my way of thinking, peeled or not, with water at least a couple of inches over the potatoes. Cook until potatoes are just tender.  Add a pound or so of hamburger pulled into bitesized pieces. Cook until meat is no longer pink.  Use enough bread (white or lighter bakery bread is what we used then, but homemade would be delicious too!) to soak up just enough of the water to leave some 'soup'.  Makes me mouth water jist a'thinkin' about it.  :rabbit:

GrammieT   :dogwag:

I am going to try that. Thanks, will  let you know how it turns out
Pages: [1]   Go Up