Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lean and simple or Fat and "pretty"?  (Read 15237 times)

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
Lean and simple or Fat and "pretty"?
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »

Okay, I'm not complaining, but I'm checking to see if I'm the only one here who likes a forum "lean and simple" rather than fat and "pretty."

I'm on dial-up, and I like a simple, uncluttered forum. That means a minimum of "pretty" things, like graphics, that I have scroll past every time I come here. (The excess graphics kept me from spending much time on another board for years. BlackSDA, by contrast, is a model of an attractive, uncluttered board, and I'd like to see this board stay similarly uncluttered.)

For instance, I liked this forum better *before* the bright blue "AdventistTalk" logo was put up. To me, the color clashes with the SMF default theme, which I'm using. If the logo were in white-grey shades, it might be better. Smaller would be good too, because it would allows me to see more of the actual forum on the first page. (The original title matched the theme and did the job just fine.)

This is not to say that I don't appreciate pictures uploaded by posters. They add interest. And smilies add a bit of fun. (More of them would be just fine.)

I just don't like to see the basic design of the board cluttered with a graphics and "Important notices."

I was disappointed today to come to the home page to see *two* copies of "Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church!  Feel free to invite your friends to come here" in bold bright blue!! And I don't see it as "news," as it's currently billed.  :dunno:

A simple "Welcome" in a color to match the theme is appropriate, but it's gratuitous to tell posters to "feel free to invite your friends to come here." Posters will or will not do that, whether or not they're told. The better the board functions (the less clutter), the more posters will be attracted here. At least that's my opinion.

H'mm ... let me try something here: "Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church!" That's in navy, and I think it's a better match with the theme.  :)

I know tastes vary. That's why I'm wondering if I'm the only one that prefers an uncluttered look, or if there are others.

(Hey, it's less work not to add a bunch of graphics & what-nots to the board! ;D And I figure it's better to mention this before Daryl invests a lot of time, than after.)
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Lean and simple or Fat and "pretty"?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:52 PM »

I vote for lean and simple for ease and quickness of reading.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

imagrandpa

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 06:33:06 PM »

I guess it's up to Darryl, but my vote is to
keep things as simple an uncluttered as possible.

roxe

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »

I also like lean and simple.

roxe

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:27:40 AM »

The only graphics is what you see on the top, namely the AdventTalk graphic, and on the bottom, namely the Bluehost/Pickle-Joy Defense Fund alternating graphics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up