Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danish Pudding  (Read 9107 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Danish Pudding
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »

You guys are so good at this, do any of you know what danish pudding is. My grandmother used to make it. Haven't thought of it in years but my brother asked me to see if I could find it.
It was red, cherry I think. Good, but can't tell you anymore
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Sister

• Veteran Member
Re: Danish Pudding
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »

You guys are so good at this, do any of you know what danish pudding is. My grandmother used to make it. Haven't thought of it in years but my brother asked me to see if I could find it.
It was red, cherry I think. Good, but can't tell you anymore

Could this be what you are talking about? I found it online.

Danish Pudding

1 cupful of tapioca
3 generous pints of water
half a teaspoonful of salt
half a cup of sugar
one tumbler of any kind of bright jelly

Wash the tapioca, and soak in the water all night. In the morning put on in the double boiler, and cook one hour. Stir frequently. Add the salt, sugar and jelly, and mix thoroughly. Turn into a mould that has been dipped in cold water, and set away to harden. Serve with cream and sugar.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:45:10 PM »

I also found this:

Rødgrød med Fløde (Danish Red Berry Pudding with Cream)

Danes love to ask foreigners to say "Rødgrød" because it is nearly unpronounceable to those not familiar with this guttural language. The Erslevs coached their children to say it correctly when they returned to Copenhagen, thus disappointing the Danish cousins! Danes often grow red currants just for this recipe. Since red currants can be hard to find in the U.S., simply substitute strawberries or raspberries.

4 cups red berries ( Red currants are traditional but fresh or frozen strawberries and raspberries, even grape or other berry juice, may be used. )

Ingredients:
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
¾ cup potato starch (or cornstarch. Find potato starch in a Jewish Foods section.)
1½ cup cold water
Small amount of sugar for sprinkling.
Cream for topping, as desired.

Directions:
Bring berries to a boil with the water and cook until the seeds separate from the fruit. Strain using cheesecloth or a fine sieve. Compost the seeds and skins. Pour the red berry juice back into the pot and bring to a boil. Add sugar, stir until the sugar is dissolved.

In a small bowl, mix the potato starch with cold water until it is syrupy, then add it to the berry juice, constantly stirring. As soon as it thickens, remove from the heat and pour into individual glass dishes. Sprinkle with sugar to prevent a skin from forming.

Let cool.

Top with whipped cream. Makes six servings.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »

One last try:

Danish Berry Pudding (Rødgrød) Recipe

Ingredients
1/4 c cornstarch .
1 (10 oz) package frozen raspberries, thawed .
1 (10 oz) package frozen strawberries, thawed .
1 tbsp lemon juice .
1/2 c cold water .
2 tbsps granulated sugar .
slivered almonds

Directions
Step #1 Purée berries in mixer or press through sieve.
Step #2 Mix cornstarch & sugar in saucepan.
Step #3 Gradually stir in the water; add purée.
Step #4 Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Step #5 Boil & stir 1 min.
Step #6 Remove from heat; stir in the lemon juice.
Step #7 Pour into dessert dishes or serving bowl.
Step #8 Cover up & put in the fridge at least 2 hrs.
Step #9 Sprinkle top with almonds; serve this with half & half if desired.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:06 AM »

One last try:

Danish Berry Pudding (Rødgrød) Recipe

Ingredients
1/4 c cornstarch .
1 (10 oz) package frozen raspberries, thawed .
1 (10 oz) package frozen strawberries, thawed .
1 tbsp lemon juice .
1/2 c cold water .
2 tbsps granulated sugar .
slivered almonds

Directions
Step #1 Purée berries in mixer or press through sieve.
Step #2 Mix cornstarch & sugar in saucepan.
Step #3 Gradually stir in the water; add purée.
Step #4 Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Step #5 Boil & stir 1 min.
Step #6 Remove from heat; stir in the lemon juice.
Step #7 Pour into dessert dishes or serving bowl.
Step #8 Cover up & put in the fridge at least 2 hrs.
Step #9 Sprinkle top with almonds; serve this with half & half if desired.

I think this is it. :TY: :TY:
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »

Glad I could help. It sounds really tasty!

Johann

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »

Here we can buy this ready made in the stores, made in Denmark!

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »

Here we can buy this ready made in the stores, made in Denmark!

I have never seen it here. I have a younger brother that is going to be thrilled. He has wanted this for a long time.
My dad was half danish and half german. When my mother would get irate with him,she would tell him the german was showing. Otherwise it was the danish. They would go back and forth. She was scotch and swede.

Where I was born marrying a mixed marriage was the Norwegians and Swedes.  Heard many dumb swede jokes. A little politically incorrect, but they only did it to one another

The two sides really didn't like each other and I have no idea why. Could not tell them apart.

Been a long day, don't know why I mentioned that :ROFL: Must be time for bed
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:06:53 PM by bonnie »

guide4him

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »

I enjoyed the story Bonnie, I have some strong Swedish background (rest of me is heinz 57 variety as my grandfather used to say about my grandmother).

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »

I enjoyed the story Bonnie, I have some strong Swedish background (rest of me is heinz 57 variety as my grandfather used to say about my grandmother).

We used to think it was so funny as kids. Parents would get as upset about their swedish son dating "one of that kind" as they would have about a bi-racial marriage a few decades ago

Johann

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:37:46 AM »

I heard one of those stories from the pulpit at EMC (now Andrews). A Swede lost his way in the blizzard in Minnesota (or was it one of the other northern states?) Finally he found a barn and dug himself down into the hay. Then he noticed there was some life close to him, so he asked, "Er du svensk?" (Are you Swedish?) The reply came, "norsk, norsk" (Norwegian).

But he went to sleep. When light came in the morning he discovered his bedmate was a pig.

Are people in Minnesota still "fighting" like that?

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 04:16:02 AM »

I heard one of those stories from the pulpit at EMC (now Andrews). A Swede lost his way in the blizzard in Minnesota (or was it one of the other northern states?) Finally he found a barn and dug himself down into the hay. Then he noticed there was some life close to him, so he asked, "Er du svensk?" (Are you Swedish?) The reply came, "norsk, norsk" (Norwegian).

But he went to sleep. When light came in the morning he discovered his bedmate was a pig.

Are people in Minnesota still "fighting" like that?

We have gotten a bit better. :ROFL:  Just don't touch the lutifisk and lefse of a Norwegian and you might live to a ripe old age.

They had a swedish Lutheren church on one side of town and the norwegian on the other. Tracks ran thru the middle of town and depending on who you were talking to,each were considered on the wrong side of the tracks

Johann

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 08:56:35 AM »

Here in the old world they still fight each other, not the least in sports. But if only one of the Scandinavians makes it to the top in a European or World championship, all the others will cheer the Scandinavian champion, hoping that "we" will win.

Lutheran rituals are not quite the same. A Swedish lady was the godmother at a Christening in Denmark. When the parson asked, "Do you forsake the devil and all of his work?" she quickly answered, "No sir, we don't do that in Sweden?" (That statement is not a part of the Swedish ritual.) I read this story in a Danish Lutheran newspaper, so it should be authentic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up