Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Garwin McNeilus: Friend or Foe?  (Read 60159 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Garwin McNeilus: Friend or Foe?
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »

Garwin McNeilus has reportedly had a role in Seventh-day Adventist church missions for years.

His financial resources have made possible outreach efforts that might not have otherwise occurred.  However, he has also reportedly been a friend and supporter of Danny Shelton for a significant period of time. 

Johann included this statement in another thread, when referring to Linda's problems, "...those people who have slandered Linda Shelton through the past several years, partly using funds from that same person [Garwin McNeilus], according to information given me by Danny Shelton, to enhance the vicious slander..."

Some say that Garwin McNeilus now realizes the true character of Danny Shelton and no longer supports him.

Is this true? 

I don't know.  It would be understandable that a powerful and influential person such as McNeilus might want to protect his image the best way he could at this point.

Those who have suffered at the hands of 3ABN administrative personnel in the past might hope that McNeilus would also act to help mitigate some of their distress.

His power and influence, so well utilized in SDA church missions, could be used to restore to some degree what has been destroyed by 3ABN personnel in the past.

"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
Re: Garwin McNeilus: Friend or Foe?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:14:34 PM »

Garwin McNeilus has reportedly had a role in Seventh-day Adventist church missions for years.

His financial resources have made possible outreach efforts that might not have otherwise occurred.  However, he has also reportedly been a friend and supporter of Danny Shelton for a significant period of time. 

Johann included this statement in another thread, when referring to Linda's problems, "...those people who have slandered Linda Shelton through the past several years, partly using funds from that same person [Garwin McNeilus], according to information given me by Danny Shelton, to enhance the vicious slander..."

Some say that Garwin McNeilus now realizes the true character of Danny Shelton and no longer supports him.

Is this true? 

I don't know.  It would be understandable that a powerful and influential person such as McNeilus might want to protect his image the best way he could at this point.

Those who have suffered at the hands of 3ABN administrative personnel in the past might hope that McNeilus would also act to help mitigate some of their distress.

His power and influence, so well utilized in SDA church missions, could be used to restore to some degree what has been destroyed by 3ABN personnel in the past.

So, you don't think much of Garwin McNeilus, or 3ABN? (I hope you weren't intending to do the very thing here that you were finding fault with others for and accusing them of... slandering...)

Have you tried talking to GM one on one, privately, or told him what you heard etc and gave him a chance to answer or explain? or maybe even Danny Shelton, Jim Gilley or Dr Walt Thompson? I always think that should be done, before talking to anyone else, or saying things about those involved to others.

What's your thinking about this?

..ian
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:51:58 PM by Ian »

Ozzie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »

So, you don't think much of Garwin McNeilus, or 3ABN? (I hope you weren't intending to do the very thing here that you were finding fault with others for and accusing them of... slandering...)

Have you tried talking to GM one on one, privately, or told him what you heard etc and gave him a chance to answer or explain? or maybe even Danny Shelton, Jim Gilley or Dr Walt Thompson? I always think that should be done, before talking to anyone else, or saying things about those involved to others.

..ian

My thoughts are that now you are back from an extended holiday, you are just causing trouble again, as usual.
 :oops:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »

Or does Garwin McNeilus think, like Jim Gilley does, that Danny Shelton is an honorable man who always tells the truth?
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

guide4him

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »

Artiste, I am of the same opinion as you...
 :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:32:09 PM »

So, you don't think much of Garwin McNeilus, or 3ABN?
You conclude that from Artiste's post? Would you care to explain how?
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Habanero

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »

Ummm, Ian, you might want to rethink your response to Artiste. She was acutally being very charitable to Garwin. She didn't slander him and speak ill of him at all.

guide4him

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29:33 AM »

Methinks Ian should take a walk and cool off :hamster: :puppykisses: before posting replys she doesn't agree with.

Eduard

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »

"ian,"

In the first century of our era a few men and women evangelized the civilized world of their time. Did they do it with the RADIO? Did they do it with the TV? No, they just went from place to place and preached the GOOD NEWS, as Jesus told them to do! They did not need mass media or multimedia to fulfill the Great Comission, and neither do we!

I watch TV once in a blue moon, and I don't care about it. Someone in my family, though, receives signal from 3ABN, and every time I watched their programs I was disappointed. Such a waste of time! I can get in an hour two times as much Bible study and doctrine than I get in one whole day on 3ABN! And if I want music I used one of the many CDs that contain really good quality traditional and contemporary gospel music. I don't need to watch hours and hours of fluff and show, to admire and envy people dressed in expensive clothes walk on stilts around the stage and pretend to be spiritual! The role of the TV stations, whatever they may be, is nothing more than to entertain their audience, and this is what the TELEVANGELISTS do at 3ABN and everywhere else.

George Vandeman was a charming and amazing speaker on the screen, but how many know the struggles he had in his family while he was pretenting that everything was just PINK? I am tired of all this HYPOCRISY clad in fake and arrogant religious clothes! Men and women whose lives are in the tank and who are brokenhearted must play the role of saints to amuse people who have nothing better to do than to spend most of their time in front of the magic box!

Wikipedia has a very instructive article on TELEVANGELISM and its problems. All of us need to learn from its historical background and understand that such TV shows are doing much less good than it is claimed. On the contrary, a lot of sincere people have been driven away from God because of the disappointments they have had with the fake "men of God" who were after power and money. We will find out soon how much of the "Christian work" at 3ABN has been inspired by motives that have nothing with Christianity and Jesus.

Here are some EYE OPENERS for those who think that all is well on the "CHRISTIAN SHOWS:"

CONTROVERSIES

Televangelists are the subject of considerable controversy. Both their methods and theology have received widespread criticism from both church and secular sources. Many televangelists are featured on discernment websites run by Christians that are concerned about what they see as departures from sound Christian faith. The following are amongst the issues that have been raised:

Lack of accountability. Many televangelists exist outside of established churches. They have little or no oversight from denominational structures and many are accountable to no-one. In cases where their ministry is run by a board of directors, this is frequently made up of family members and other people who will not challenge the televangelist. Other televangelists, however, are members of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, an independent organisation which promotes high financial standards amongst Christian ministries.

Supernatural theology. Many televangelists hold charismatic or Pentecostal viewpoints, believing in spiritual gifts, divine healing, and other miracles. These subjects remain controversial within Christian thinking. In some instances, claims of miracles have been shown to be fraudulent.

Flamboyant lifestyles. Some televangelists have accumulated significant personal wealth from their ministries and own large properties, luxury cars, and even private jets. This is seen by critics to be contradictory to Christian principles. There is also frequent confusion between personal and ministry assets.

Financial emphasis. Televangelism requires substantial amounts of money to produce programs and purchase airtime on cable and satellite networks. Televangelists devote much time to fundraising activities. Products such as books, CDs, DVDs, and trinkets with supposedly miraculous powers, are aggressively promoted to viewers. Opponents regard such an emphasis as inappropriate and also question whether the money would be better used relieving poverty or employing traditional missionaries.

Personality cult. Traditional Christian teaching emphasises the following of Jesus and not a particular preacher, however televangelism tends to build a personality cult around the televangelist.
Health and wealth teaching. Many televangelists preach a prosperity gospel that promises material success to believers, subject to their generous donations to the “work of God”, which inevitably means the televangelist. This is regarded as a serious heresy by other Christians.

False prophecies. Numerous televangelists have issued false prophecies, for example Benny Hinn’s claim that Fidel Castro would die in the 1990s, or Pat Robertson's claim that the War in Iraq would end in 2006. Other televangelists have made false prophecies of the Second Coming.
False teaching. Televangelists frequently depart from or add to traditional Christian doctrines.

Entertainment focus. The style of televangelism seems to mirror that of the secular entertainment industry, with emphasis on celebrity, slick production, and aggressive marketing.

Disputed success. Televangelists claim to be reaching millions of people worldwide with the gospel and producing numerous converts to Christianity. However, such claims are difficult to verify independently. It has also been questioned whether non-believers actually watch Christian television.

Televangelists often strongly dispute these criticisms and say they are doing God's work. They cite declining attendance at traditional church services and the growth of global mass media as factors necessitating the use of television to fulfill the "Great Commission" in the 21st century.

I see in “God’s Work” done at 3ABN the same:

1. Lack of accountability
2. Supernatural theology
3. Flamboyant lifestyles
4. Financial emphasis
5. PERSONALITY CULT
6. Health and wealth teaching.
7. False prophecies
8. False teachings
9. Entertainment focus
10. Disputed success

How about the extraordinary SCANDALS that have involved the TELEVANGELIST from the beginning of these TV shows? Here is something else we need to look at:

CHRISTIAN TELEVANGELIST SCANDALS

Numerous televangelists have been at the center of well-publicised scandals, including financial, sexual, and religious.

Many televangelists promote the doctrine of divine healing and would claim that God can heal people through them. Christian views on this subject vary, and it is seen as pseudoscience and charlatanry by non-Christians. A number of claims of healing miracles made by televangelists have been exposed as fraud, for example in the case of Peter Popoff.

A series of scandals in the 1980s resulted in the fall from grace of some famous televangelists, such as Jim Bakker, who served a prison sentence for financial improprieties associated with his ministry, and Jimmy Swaggart, who made a famous tearful confession to a dalliance with a prostitute. They have continued preaching, nonetheless, even though their audiences may be a small fraction of what they were at the height of their popularity.

Controversial claims have also been made by some, as when Oral Roberts told his television audience in 1987 that he had to raise $8 million in donations or "God would call him home". He ended up raising $9.1 million.[9]. Shortly after the September 11 terrorist attacks, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell said that it was divine retribution provoked by rampant sexual immorality. In 2005, Robertson announced on The 700 Club that Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez ought to be "taken out" by the US government. Many viewed this as a call for assassination. Later that year, in November, Robertson warned the town of Dover, Pennsylvania of a severe natural disaster following the defeat of the local school board for advocating intelligent design.

Brazil is also a country in which televangelists have found success, and some have faced accusations of improprieties. In 1992, Edir Macedo, a Brazilian televangelist and founder of the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God was imprisoned for accusations of charlatanism, and spent some days in prison. More recently, in 2002, the Época magazine, controlled by Globo media group published two new articles making accusations at Igreja Renascer em Cristo. In 2006, Brazilian Justice blocked all goods of the Hernandes couple, leaders of the church because of accusations of money laundering, fraud and identity theft.

IMHO, Danny Shelton is going to be soon another embarrasing addition to the HALL OF SHAME of the once fallen and never recovered TELEVANGELISTS.  I am looking forward to the day when,

"The pride of man will be humbled, and the loftiness of men will be abased; And the LORD alone will be exalted in that day" (Isaiah 2:17).

Eduard

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »

..ian

Walt Thompson? Are you serious? The same Walt Thompson who never talked to any of Tommy Shelton's accusers? Is that the Walt Thompson you mean?
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

Mary Sue Smith

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »

It is wonderful when BY FAITH men and women who are not perfect, as no one on this planet is perfect except the Lord Jesus Christ, and by faith, help them to start and run a huge operation like 3ABN!!  All are human. All make mistakes. But BY FAITH they are able to WIN SOULS to the Lord Jesus Christ through 3ABN world-wide.

PRAISE THE LORD for His goodness to the children of men.  May the 3-angels messages go forward!!

God loves those souls who have been won through 3ABN programming, as well as through all the other SDA ministries He has blessed.

God has used many down through the ages beginning with Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joseph, Jacob, David, Paul, 12-diciples, Mary, Esther, Ellen G. White, SDA Conference Presidents, Preachers and those who run media ministries, teachers, lawyers, doctors and nurses, EVERYONE who has a part in giving the truth to hungry souls.

May God continue to bless 3ABN abundantly.

Fair Havens

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:12 PM »

God loves those souls who have been won through 3ABN programming.

My problem is not with 3ABN per se but with Danny Swagg... er.. Shelton; in particular, with the ungodly manner he treated Johann and the doctor at that camp meeting. And that behavior arose from his iniquitous cannot be proven charges that his 3ABN co-founder wife committed airy-fairy, er.. spiritual  :ROFL: adultery with said doctor.

And, of course, there all those other what appears to be credible, IMHO, reports of malfeasance at the network!

There is a great need for cleaning 'the Stables of Augeas' at 3ABN.  That's what this is all about.

Fair Havens

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »

And, of course, there all those other what appears to be credible, IMHO, reports of malfeasance at the network! [url=http://WWW.Save 3ABN.Com[/url]

Sam

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »

God loves those souls who have been won through 3ABN programming.

My problem is not with 3ABN per se but with Danny Swagg... er.. Shelton; in particular, with the ungodly manner he treated Johann and the doctor at that camp meeting. And that behavior arose from his iniquitous cannot be proven charges that his 3ABN co-founder wife committed airy-fairy, er.. spiritual  :ROFL: adultery with said doctor.

And, of course, there all those other what appears to be credible, IMHO, reports of malfeasance at the network!

There is a great need for cleaning 'the Stables of Augeas' at 3ABN.  That's what this is all about.

Your very unchristian post sounds familiar.....anyway....do you know Mr. Shelton?  If not you are going on heresay and gossip. According to the word that is sin. If you do know him ,have you practiced "if you have ought with your brother"?  If not, it is sin.

Do you know Linda Shelton? If yes, can you prove she was not guilty of said affair?  If you don't know her then you have nada to base any of your comments on and are making rash judgements all around.  Very wrong.   Here are the facts.  Sin is sin and all sin leads to loss of eternal life.  So all of your judgements, unchristian words, and participation in gossip and character assassination is just as great a sin as those supposedly committed by those that you accuse. There is one difference though.  You do not know or cannot prove that Mr. Shelton has done any of the things that you accuse him of and if you are wrong, he stands, just another imperfect human being, striving for the kingdom.  But, where you are concerned, it matters not whether he is guilty or innocent, your actions of judging others, participating in gossip, bringing supposed problems within the church to the public, wishing harm on others and not practicing matt 18 are sin, no matter what.

Summery?  The odds of making it to the kingdom for you and your friends are far less IMO than for Danny, Walt, or any of the rest.  Even though no one is perfect and in hindsight we could all improve decisions, I don't believe that Danny, Walt, Garwin or any of the rest of those men have done anything intentionaly wrong. You, on the other hand are knowingly and willingly participating in gossip, heresay and rumors. That is intentional. That is sin.

GRAT

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 11:28:06 PM »

I'm getting rather tired of the old "Do you know DS, Have you ever met him" stuff.  I have never met OJ Simpson but I have not a single doubt that he killed his wife and Ron Goldman.  And no, I wasn't there and didn't see it with my own eyes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up