Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory Quilt  (Read 16188 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Memory Quilt
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »

This is a perfect gift for grandchildren. Made this for a young friend of mine. Her mother passed away 1 week before her wedding. Due to a split in the family she was not able to salvage anything of her mom's except a satin dress,denim jacket. Was able to use for a small quilt. The serentity prayer is underneath photo on the top row of quilt.

Basic sewing skills necessary. No need for all the embroidery.

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

GrammieT

Re: Memory Quilt
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »

Dear Bonnie:

How lovely!  And so very thoughtful of you to give this precious gift to your young friend.   :console:

GrammieT   :dogwag:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:28:24 PM »

Dear Bonnie:

How lovely!  And so very thoughtful of you to give this precious gift to your young friend.   :console:

GrammieT   :dogwag:

She is really a sweetheart.They are expecting theit first baby in Nov and she is so excited
Something like this is fun to do
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

W.I.L.T

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »

What a lovely idea!

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:35:50 PM »

I love quilting also.  Right now I am getting ready to finish the front of a quilt for my grand-daughter.  Then I will quilt the top with some special designs, embroider her name on it, and my name and the date.  It is my hope she will treasure it.

Each of the grand-children have placed their orders.  Thank goodness 2 of them selected a pattern for beginners!  I lucked out on those.  They will go fast.

I am making a Bible bag for my best friends 18 month old daughter.  I will embroider her name on it and we will put paint on her hands to put hand print on it too.

Last year I made the most beautiful Christmas Stockings.  They were so elegant!  The problem was every body thought they were to nice to use! Go figure!  Everyone hung them, but only 4-5 filled them with goodies other than what I put in them.

For FREE patterns go to:

http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=4&source=016FRP

For cheap patterns, download then from:

(.99-1.99for patterns. Books for 11.00-19.00)

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/list.html?cat_id=4  I got my stocking pattern here for $1.49.

Get what you can for free.  These two sites are related.  You will find much of the free patterns for sale on the second site.

They also have:

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=1107

On this site they have lots of other quilting items besides pattern.  Yes, they have patterns also.  All sites have other products besides quilting.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »

Quilting and Sewing go hand in hand.  They are really the same.  With Christmas coming, this pattern is a hit for girls today!  My girls love this.  No one else has one like it.  It is a real attention getter.

It is under Sewing, Accessories, Purses & Bags.  It is free at the first website above.  It is also on the second site for under $2.00.  You can get it on the 3rd site for over $3.00.  None of mine came out just like this one, because they have different colors, and different jeans.  The Goodwill stores have a great selection of old jeans.  Clothing is a great source of fabric. 

Consignment stores have very good quality clothing.  This means quality fabric.  Many times you can pick up a full skirt at a yard sale for $ .25.  It will provide many fat quarters.  Online fat quarters run up to $20.00 +a yard!  WalMart sells some fabric for $1.00-$2.00-3.00 per yard.  Some of it is great fabric.  Be choosy, some of it isn't worth the $1.00.  Another cheap way to get quilt fabric is to use flat sheets.  At Wal Mart they were $2.50 a month or so ago, but are now $3.00.

This is one cute bag!

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:01:19 AM »

Love that stocking and the purse. Looks as if you have an embroidery machine as well.
I think I am going to playcopycat and try both. I would like to make one for all the grandchildren, and my christmas that will be 12.

I love the goodwill. My husband tells everyone I am the only person that gets excited by a sale day at goodwill.
I have used sheets for years. They wear like iron

A few years ago I made quilts for everyone for christmas. 4 Sons,4DIL"s and 11 grandchildren. What a job but it was fun. My one granddaughter and loves horses so this one was for her
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:29:08 AM by bonnie »

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »

Makes me think of an old quote by my mom. Anytime we wanted to throw something out.......

Everything has a use.  Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Just to tell you again, I need to try that purse today
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:10:54 AM by bonnie »

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »

At the free site, under Beads select Assesories.  You can download a pattern for these bags.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »

Those are pretty neat. I have discovered my only problem is that if there ever was a mistake made by God it would have been only two hands.  :rabbit:

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

Your interests and my interests are really running along together here!  Should we be scared?

Thanksgiving is coming soon.  I am going to make this tree.  It is sewn/quiilted, and the tree is fabric.  In the pattern there is a pattern for cutting many leaves.  The patterns suggests you make a lot of leaves and embroider things you are thankful for.  I figure I can use it as a generation tree also.  On the tree background sew buttons where you want the leaves.

When you cut the leaves out, you will need to put a button hole in each one, and embroider what you are thankful for; or the names of you immediate family and carry it out as far as possible.

I am going to put the leaves in a nice basket and let everyone choose their name, or their thankful sayings.  I think I will have and acorn to add to each leaf.  This could be for parents and children.  This way my genealogy tree can hold more names.

The pattern is from September 2002 issue of Sewing Savvy.  I really like it.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:14:05 AM »

Your interests and my interests are really running along together here!  Should we be scared?

At least a bit maybe. If it is fabric related I am into it.

Ozzie

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »

I quite envy you both. My stupid arthritic fingers won't permit me to do anything like that, but I can admire other people's talents. :dogwag: :purr:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:08:54 PM »

I quite envy you both. My stupid arthritic fingers won't permit me to do anything like that, but I can admire other people's talents. :dogwag: :purr:

I am so fortunate that I do not have any of the problems so many have to face and deal with. I am not a very patient person when I want to do something and can't.
Probably why I hated being pregnant. Ended up somewhere between a beached whale and greyhound bus. Had to really give a lot of thought to going from one room to another the last couple of months
Pages: [1]   Go Up