Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama detailing plan to partner with faith-based and secular grass-roots groups  (Read 11196 times)

reddogs

Now this is very interesting as it looks like he will suport faith-based groups...

"....Obama focuses on religion...Obama detailing plan to partner with faith-based and secular grass-roots groups

Sen. Barack Obama set to focus on faith, religion in Ohio

Meanwhile, a day after defending his patriotism, Obama is focusing on faith and religion in Zanesville, Ohio.

According to Obama's campaign, the senator from Illinois will lay out his plan to expand Bush's faith-based programs and establish a new Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

The council will strengthen nonprofit religious and community groups by providing funding and making it easier to "access to the information and support they need to run that program," according to prepared remarks his campaign released.

"I'm not saying that faith-based groups are an alternative to government or secular nonprofits. And I'm not saying that they're somehow better at lifting people up. What I'm saying is that we all have to work together -- Christian and Jew, Hindu and Muslim, believer and nonbeliever alike -- to meet the challenges of the 21st century," Obama will say, according to the remarks.

Obama will say that the relationship between the White House and grass-roots groups "has to be a real partnership -- not a photo-op," while reiterating his belief in the separation of church and state.

Under Obama's proposal, groups accepting federal grant money cannot use the funds "to proselytize to the people you help" and employees cannot be hired or fired on the basis of religion.

Additionally, federal dollars going to places of worship can only be used on secular programs.

"And we'll also ensure that taxpayer dollars only go to those programs that actually work," Obama will say, according to the prepared remarks....."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/01/campaign.wrap/index.html

reddogs

It looks like Obama after knocking out Hillary, is going after the conservative vote.....

"....Taking a page from President Bush, Democrat Barack Obama said Tuesday he wants to expand White House efforts to steer social service dollars to religious groups, risking protests in his own party with his latest aggressive reach for voters who usually vote Republican.

Obama contended he is merely stating long-held positions — surprising to some, he said, after a primary campaign in which he was "tagged as being on the left."

In recent days, with the Democratic nomination in hand and the general election battle with Republican John McCain ahead, Obama has been sounding centrist themes with comments on guns, government surveillance and capital punishment. He's even quoted Ronald Reagan.

On Tuesday, touring Presbyterian Church-based social services facility, the Democratic senator said he would get religious charities more involved in government anti-poverty efforts if elected.........

He said the connection of religion and public service was nothing new in his personal life.

Obama showed he was comfortable using the kind of language that is familiar in evangelical churches and Bible studies by calling his faith "a personal commitment to Christ." He said that his time as a community organizer in decimated Chicago neighborhoods, supported in part by a Catholic group, brought him to a deeper faith and also convinced him that faith is useless without works.

"While I could sit in church and pray all I want, I wouldn't be fulfilling God's will unless I went out and did the Lord's work," he declared.....

With 80 percent of Americans saying they identify themselves with some religion, Obama's campaign has struggled with the topic.

Comments critical of America by Obama's longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, caused a firestorm during the primaries and brought Obama's brand of faith under scrutiny because of Wright's adherence to black liberation theology. Obama also has battled false but persistent rumors that he is a Muslim; they have been kept alive on the Internet despite his repeated talk about his longtime devotion to Christianity.

Conservative Christians make up about a quarter of the electorate, and they helped put Bush in office twice. Many still are likely to oppose the Democratic nominee because of his support for abortion rights, gay rights and other issues.

An AP-Yahoo News poll in June found that people who attend church at least once a week support Republican McCain over Obama, 49 percent to 37 percent. Those who attend church less often tend to favor Obama. White evangelical Christians who attend church weekly favor McCain by huge margins....

Obama's high-profile embrace of a key theme of Bush's time in office — the "faith-based initiative" — is just the latest example of him trying to show his centrist side..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080702/ap_on_el_pr/obama_faith

Ozzie

It looks like Obama after knocking out Hillary, is going after the conservative vote.....

"....Taking a page from President Bush, Democrat Barack Obama said Tuesday he wants to expand White House efforts to steer social service dollars to religious groups, risking protests in his own party with his latest aggressive reach for voters who usually vote Republican.

Obama contended he is merely stating long-held positions — surprising to some, he said, after a primary campaign in which he was "tagged as being on the left."

In recent days, with the Democratic nomination in hand and the general election battle with Republican John McCain ahead, Obama has been sounding centrist themes with comments on guns, government surveillance and capital punishment. He's even quoted Ronald Reagan.

On Tuesday, touring Presbyterian Church-based social services facility, the Democratic senator said he would get religious charities more involved in government anti-poverty efforts if elected.........

He said the connection of religion and public service was nothing new in his personal life.

Obama showed he was comfortable using the kind of language that is familiar in evangelical churches and Bible studies by calling his faith "a personal commitment to Christ." He said that his time as a community organizer in decimated Chicago neighborhoods, supported in part by a Catholic group, brought him to a deeper faith and also convinced him that faith is useless without works.

"While I could sit in church and pray all I want, I wouldn't be fulfilling God's will unless I went out and did the Lord's work," he declared.....

With 80 percent of Americans saying they identify themselves with some religion, Obama's campaign has struggled with the topic.

Comments critical of America by Obama's longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, caused a firestorm during the primaries and brought Obama's brand of faith under scrutiny because of Wright's adherence to black liberation theology. Obama also has battled false but persistent rumors that he is a Muslim; they have been kept alive on the Internet despite his repeated talk about his longtime devotion to Christianity.

Conservative Christians make up about a quarter of the electorate, and they helped put Bush in office twice. Many still are likely to oppose the Democratic nominee because of his support for abortion rights, gay rights and other issues.

An AP-Yahoo News poll in June found that people who attend church at least once a week support Republican McCain over Obama, 49 percent to 37 percent. Those who attend church less often tend to favor Obama. White evangelical Christians who attend church weekly favor McCain by huge margins....

Obama's high-profile embrace of a key theme of Bush's time in office — the "faith-based initiative" — is just the latest example of him trying to show his centrist side..."

Obama certainly has your thoughts tied up, doesn't he?
:dogwag:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

reddogs

Obama certainly has your thoughts tied up, doesn't he?
:dogwag:

Well considering he is on track to be the next President, the most powerful position of leadership on earth, I have some concern.......:0)

Johann

Well considering he is on track to be the next President, the most powerful position of leadership on earth, I have some concern.......:0)

Any less concerns if he loses?

Johann

The Vatican has announced that hte Pope will spend his 81st birthday at the White House

tinka

• Veteran Member

:scratch: you mean "Catholic and Muslim" coming together??? :dunno: Wheew, thats cutting it close wouldn't you say?

princessdi

• Veteran Member

Tinka, you all are going to have to make up your minds.  Now when he was running for office, he could no longer be a member of the Baptist church of which he had been amember for many years.  Even requiring that he basically severe ties with his pastor.  now he is muslim.  Which is which?  Make up your minds.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member

Tinka, you all are going to have to make up your minds.  Now when he was running for office, he could no longer be a member of the Baptist church of which he had been amember for many years.  Even requiring that he basically severe ties with his pastor.  now he is muslim.  Which is which?  Make up your minds.

News to me, I never thought he was a baptist even if he went there for purposes. I always believed he was a muslim and tried to hide it. IF he did not try to hide it, you would know without doubt what religion he claims, but it is all obvious no matter what he says as his background shows his customs. Also he hides his birth certificate. There is more to that then you realize or want to.  I believe he is a head of the biggest hoax to the American people. Everything he does benefits the "Brotherhood". I hope you don't wake up and think what in the world happened as we now watch the middle east.

So it is now of no surprise that the Pope knows where to parley and what to accomplish. Time is a great teller of facts as it proves what time in history we are in and the facts of action as they happen. Just like with Bush, 3abn, DS TS. Now Bush  daughter spouts off on her beliefs, just like the daughter of McCain. They don't have to hide anything anymore. 

Do you think for one moment he would have been president if he was a Known muslim in this Christian nation? (Supposidly) Whats even worse is how he did get elected by the crude premeditation of lengthy planning to accomplish. It was his background beliefs and how to use his race cards on the unspecting poor and innocent.  Most people thought they were going to get help with "Obama money". They did not know where, but money was a commin for them. He is now hitting the Evangelicals with "placed" honey coated words to their liking.

Have you seen the news in Florida how some are going to jail for uncovered voter fraud for his benefit just about a week or 2 ago? Voter fraud???....try the bigger picture of Acorn. He has the wisdom of L........ Read the Koran...I did post a few of their beliefs a while ago on the site that is locked. But in realization Di, I don't think it matters anymore the political mess of either side as the throttle is in high gear for our destination.  You do realize that all power will be given to the beast by one political party or the other. Time will show in our generation the true facts of just "how" in real life it happened.  (smile) Time for us to get closer to our Savior.

mrst53

If there are those of us who believe that Obama is muslim, then we need to be praying for his salvation, rather than waiting for the destruction of the US.

princessdi

• Veteran Member

OK?!!!  I thought I was the only one who saw this.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member

I don't think any American is waiting for the destruction of US but there are those fighting for it against those who hate it. What I was referring to was some prophecy about gov control and the loss of freedom and constitution. There are those that are bent on doing this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up