Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Gardeners???  (Read 9398 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Any Gardeners???
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:27:21 PM »

We raise a type of bean, a cross between green beans and pole beans.  Corn beans. We  have enough seeds to share with a few people. You can't buy these. They are not hybrid seeds.
My G.Grandparents brought them from Germany when they emigrated here. No one else has them that I know of except my immeidate and extended family.
They were originally planted with sweet corn to crawl up the corn stock. Today's sweet corn requires way to much in the way of water and takes to much from the soil to do that.
We use the frames like we do for tomoatoes. The bean plant gets very large as do the bean itself. The beans are much wider and longer than what most are used to. There is no comparison between the taste of the green beans and the corn beans. Will gladly share enough to get someone started and then save their own
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Sister

• Veteran Member
Re: Any Gardeners???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »

Bonnie, I wish I could take you up on your offer, but we have no yard. We already have two huge planting pots on our apartment balcony, one with regular slicing tomatoes and the other with cherry tomatoes. Hopefully, someone has garden space.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »

Wow, go figure!   :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:  I just refuse to play with dirt or clean windows!    :dunno:   Yep, I gotta draw the line some where, huh?   :usa:

:TY:  for your offer though!

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:42:20 PM »

Wow, go figure!   :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:  I just refuse to play with dirt or clean windows!    :dunno:   Yep, I gotta draw the line some where, huh?   :usa:

:TY:  for your offer though!

I have it all worked out. Hubby is the gardener. Loves it. I just take care of it when he brings it in. So we are still on track, I don't do windows either :ROFL:
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Emma

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:16:21 AM »

Well I do not mow lawns or wash cars......but we have nowhere for a garden either, and we could not import the seeds into this country......so like Fran, Bonnie, thank you but not possible.

PS I think you have things very well organised.  :thumbsup:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »

Well I do not mow lawns or wash cars......but we have nowhere for a garden either, and we could not import the seeds into this country......so like Fran, Bonnie, thank you but not possible.

PS I think you have things very well organised.  :thumbsup:

It has only taken 46 years to get the old boy to shape up :ROFL:  Some things it just took him awhile to catch on. Our sons told him when they were grown and they felt it safe they always went to mom first because they knew the chain of command. I am really not as old as that sounds. I got married after graduating kindergarten.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49:17 PM »

Oh, Stop it!  You married right after kindergarten too?  :rabbit:  I could write a book about "All I learned Post Kindergarten!"   :ROFL:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:57:32 PM »

Oh, Stop it!  You married right after kindergarten too?  :rabbit:  I could write a book about "All I learned Post Kindergarten!"   :ROFL:

Yup. I was seventeen. First baby 10 1/2 months later. Third baby by the time I was twenty. Second was 13 months when the third was born,oldest was 2 1/2. Once I caught on the 4th did not come till almost 9 years later.

You know maybe the way names are assumed on forums you might be me, or maybe I am you, or maybe we are someone altogether different :dunno:

I have often thought of such a book but find it downright scary. To realize now what I didn't know and thought I did,Oh MY :ROFL: :ROFL:

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »

Bonnie;

Tell me if you can tell if someone has touched anything of yours?  I go to bed and get up, and can tell if anything was looked at or touched!  I hate it!  My brain is detail oriented.  Everything in its place and a place for everything!

Doing accounting has geared me to see what is not supposed to be.  I sometimes hate that too.  I can usually look at Financial Statements and before long I could figure what is NOT there.  It helps when asking questions.

Like 3ABN and eBay.  Their feedback is missing!  Why?  Who got the money?  It wasn’t 3ABN!

I had one child and adopted 6 more.  I had to figure out a different way!  Our 1st was adopted.  I gave birth to the 2nd.  I learned my lesson well!  No more births! The rest of my kids came through adoption. 

The kids hated my abilities while growing up.  I can still do it after they are married and gone!  Once in a while one would approach me to purchase something.  They always said, "You bought so and so this, and so and so this.  It is my turn.  We went to the computer and promised if that was true, I would buy it.  They always sat down and almost came to tears!  They knew that I knew.  In Quicken I had a category for every child.  If I spent it, it was on the computer!  Every time they were wrong, but we always worked out a way for them to get it.  They just had to work for it or borrow it.  Nothing comes for free.

I used to get groceries from a preplanned groceries list.  I only bought what was on the list!  It was made up from menus for up to 1 month.  All of our meals were all preplanned.  I would buy each of the children their own special treats to last the same amount of time.  If they ran out, they went without!

Their favorite meals were vege-Lasagna, vege-Chicken and Dumplings, vege-Chicken Fried Chicken with potatoes and white gravy, Oatmeal Patties, homemade vege-Burgers, Vege-Spaghetti, homemade Pizza, and vege-Chile! They always wanted their friends over.  I loved having no left overs for Tuesday’s left over dinner day!

Surely you don’t do all of these crazy things I do!  I am going to find something unique yet!  If not, we have got to meet!

My daughter, now and RN says I am “anal retentive!”  If only she knew how correct she really was!  I would see people come into church, and I could tell something was wrong.  I was never wrong.  I sent help.

I always called it my rot gut feeling. 

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:43:06 PM »

Way to funny. Let me go thru the list.

1.Tell me if you can tell if someone has touched anything of yours?  I go to bed and get up, and can tell if anything was looked at or touched!  I hate it!  My brain is detail oriented.  Everything in its place and a place for everything!

We had a schedule when they were all at home and it ran pretty tight. Before they left for school all beds were made, one load of laundry in the dryer and breakfast dishes done. Each of the older kids were responsible for a type of wash. Jeans, sheets on Mon morning etc.

Yes, the kids hated it when I knew they had been into what they should not have. They also hated my super sensitive hearing.
Still can't get by with much tho, a few years ago they were planning a suprise for their dad and I on our birthdays as they are only tens days apart. The two out of state were coming. They did pretty good, but I knew something was up.
Told their dad our kids would be here by that night. He didn't believe me, not until we walked in the restuarant and there they were. Kids still couldn't figure out how I knew

2.Doing accounting has geared me to see what is not supposed to be.  I sometimes hate that too.  I can usually look at Financial Statements and before long I could figure what is NOT there.  It helps when asking questions.

Lost me on this one. Can handle the checkbook but from there get it away from me

3 Like 3ABN and eBay.  Their feedback is missing!  Why?  Who got the money?  It wasn’t 3ABN!

We both know how feedback on ebay works so would be interesting to know

4. I had one child and adopted 6 more.  I had to figure out a different way!  Our 1st was adopted.  I gave birth to the 2nd.  I learned my lesson well!  No more births! The rest of my kids came through adoption. 

Had four the hard way, many foster children and raised my brothers four. We had eight children 4-10. It bore a striking resemblence to a out of control asylum at times

5 The kids hated my abilities while growing up.  I can still do it after they are married and gone!  Once in a while one would approach me to purchase something.  They always said, "You bought so and so this, and so and so this.  It is my turn.  We went to the computer and promised if that was true, I would buy it.  They always sat down and almost came to tears!  They knew that I knew.  In Quicken I had a category for every child.  If I spent it, it was on the computer!  Every time they were wrong, but we always worked out a way for them to get it.  They just had to work for it or borrow it.  Nothing comes for free.

Didn't have a computer but a fantastic memory. They weren't able to get by with much that way. Our kids started work the summer they were 13 with their dad. Great incentive for college. Dad was the toughest boss they ever had

6 I used to get groceries from a preplanned groceries list.  I only bought what was on the list!  It was made up from menus for up to 1 month.  All of our meals were all preplanned.  I would buy each of the children their own special treats to last the same amount of time.  If they ran out, they went without!

We shopped once every two weeks. Baked on Sun and counted out school lunch treats and froze them. Treats for after school same way. Take more than your share, no more would be made, and answer to your siblings who will now be going without.
Never went to the store in between

7.Their favorite meals were vege-Lasagna, vege-Chicken and Dumplings, vege-Chicken Fried Chicken with potatoes and white gravy, Oatmeal Patties, homemade vege-Burgers, Vege-Spaghetti, homemade Pizza, and vege-Chile! They always wanted their friends over.  I loved having no left overs for Tuesday’s left over dinner day!

We were not vegeterian when the kids were at home, but favorite meal was peanut butter and jelly on homemade bread, Sunday morning while watching Larual and Hardy it was Indian bread with honey.

8. Surely you don’t do all of these crazy things I do!  I am going to find something unique yet!  If not, we have got to meet
! Would love to meet, sounds like we would already know one another

9.I always called it my rot gut feeling.  

Mine is the "mom radar thing"

edited to correct a sentence
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:04:00 PM by bonnie »

Emma

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 01:40:43 AM »

I am not claiming the abilities of either Fran or Bonnie, just a comment.  My elder 2 children are (overseas) adoptions, the younger two came the hard way.   I always found it much easier to see where the younger 2 were coming from or going to as I felt I could recognise the tendencies!  Guess others have known the same thing.  It is a great joy to me that they are all very good friends now they are adults.

And this has very little to do with gardens but I gather the OP-er does not mind  :)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 04:40:28 AM »

I am not claiming the abilities of either Fran or Bonnie, just a comment.  My elder 2 children are (overseas) adoptions, the younger two came the hard way.   I always found it much easier to see where the younger 2 were coming from or going to as I felt I could recognise the tendencies!  Guess others have known the same thing.  It is a great joy to me that they are all very good friends now they are adults.

And this has very little to do with gardens but I gather the OP-er does not mind  :)

I am not sure it is abilities, my family calls it something else :ROFL:

Emma

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 12:36:45 PM »

I am not sure it is abilities, my family calls it something else :ROFL: [/quote

Well you have to remember that your family probably feel themselves to be victims of your persipacity (if that is the right word) so you can hardly expect them to call
it an ability  ;D

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »

I am not sure it is abilities, my family calls it something else :ROFL: [/quote

Well you have to remember that your family probably feel themselves to be victims of your persipacity (if that is the right word) so you can hardly expect them to call
it an ability  ;D

They have promised payback tho. My two oldest sons are nursing home administrators,responsible for many nursing homes throu out several states. They have assured me they can find one suitable for their mother as they remember evrytime they were punished while innocent. Which to them was about 99% of the time

I pander to my favorite niece, she assures me she will not let them harm me or throw away the key to the locked ward :ROFL:

Emma

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »

I guess we can all hope that by the time we need such care we will not be aware of too much, rather in that sad state of "making new friends every day".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up