Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HoBo Stew  (Read 3415 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
HoBo Stew
« on: July 12, 2008, 04:15:59 PM »

There really is no official recipe for this. My dad rode the rails when he was a young man and used to make this in the hobo camps. We thought that was so cool that daddy was a real life hobo. He didn't tell us till we were older the circumstances that led to that.
He had a brother 11 months older than he that was a little bit of a bully and like to tease my more quiet gentle father. One day he lost it when they were cleaning barn and he grabbed a hammer and hit his brother over the head. Knocked him out cold and thought he had killed him so he took off and that began his hobo life.

They used to glean from gardens wherever they could find them and threw everything into a huge kettle over their fire in an old drum.

No measurements . Tomatoes, potato's, onions,corn,beans,celery,rutabaga, and any other vegetable on hand. Wash,throw in the pot and simmer overnight.
Serve with camp bread wrapped around a stick and cooked over the fire. Is quite good

PS. He did go home after a few years and found his brother alive. Still mad as all get out, but never tormented my dad again. My uncle was still complaining at 75
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:30:04 PM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Sister

• Veteran Member
Re: HoBo Stew
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »

"...camp bread wrapped around a stick and cooked over the fire..." That reminds me of when I was about ten years old, my mother taught me and some of my girlfriends how to do this. When it was done we ate it hot with butter and jam. A good childhood memory...

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »

"...camp bread wrapped around a stick and cooked over the fire..." That reminds me of when I was about ten years old, my mother taught me and some of my girlfriends how to do this. When it was done we ate it hot with butter and jam. A good childhood memory...

Great memories aren't they? Nothing quite like it.

Then, there is potatoes cooked over a camp fire too. Yummy!

Such was life, all those years ago.

W.I.L.T

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »

Yes, those childhood memories of camp food and cooking.

Back in the days when you could have a real camp fire, wrapped potatoes, corn on the cob and  a nice hot fire. Then it was either the camp bread on a stick or sometimes "veggie hot dogs" with camp bread wrapped around it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up