Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Important Notice Pertaining to Discussion of Certain 3ABN Issue Types  (Read 18128 times)

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine

To avoid saying and discussion things that could be in violation of Forum Rule #1, if challenged, we will need to be able to say that what we said can be documented, if necessary, at the appropriate time.

I am not saying that we must produce documentation at the time we say it, but, if challenged, that we can provide documentation at the appropriate time.

I am not saying that we need to be able to provide documentation on everything we say, as long as we clearly contain "in my opinion" in your statement.

This is how Forum Rule #1 reads:
1 - You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

Fee free to discuss this here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:29:34 AM by Daryl Fawcett »

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
Re: An Important Notice Pertaining to Discussion of Certain 3ABN Issue Types
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »

I think the key is being able to say rather than having to say at that time.

Everyone should acquaint themselves with the basics of this area of law, and should understand that they should avoid making factual statements that are false, or being malicious.

Opinions are not defamatory.

Some may have noticed Ian (probably Cindy) over on BSDA trying to show that I have lied by claiming that I stated that there were allegations in Virginia against Tommy, but never proving that those allegations were true. If I somehow misread her post, I welcome her correction.

It is a fact that there are allegations in Virginia, and that fact is true. I have never said that the allegations in Virginia are true, and thus I am not required to prove that they are true in order to avoid being proven a liar.

If someone else has claimed someone has done such and such, you don't have to say they have done such and such. You can simply say that so and so has alleged that such and such was done.

But don't be malicious, and don't ask someone to make up some charge so that you can repeat it. If the courts of earth don't get you for it, the courts of heaven will.

(The above is not intended to be legal advice. If in doubt, ask a lawyer whom you know only tells the truth.)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »

(The above is not intended to be legal advice. If in doubt, ask a lawyer whom you know only tells the truth.)

~~ 8)~~

Does this indicate naivete or just wishful thinking?

(Sorry, Bob!)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:43:15 AM by Artiste »
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »

Everyone should acquaint themselves with the basics of this area of law, and should understand that they should avoid making factual statements that are false, or being malicious.

Opinions are not defamatory.

But don't be malicious, and don't ask someone to make up some charge so that you can repeat it. If the courts of earth don't get you for it, the courts of heaven will.

I have noticed that in some forums people appear to automatically tack on "IMO" to their statements.  It doesn't seem to me that this obligatory gesture would help them.

I am wondering at what point do opinions or statements become malicious?  Some people have a naturally more inflammatory way of speaking than others...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:41:55 AM by Artiste »
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine

I think Artiste asked a good question to which I didn't notice any reply, therefore, it merits being asked again.

At what point do opinions or statements become malicious?

ImaAnt

Daryl,

Interesting question.  Have you considered taking this question to BSDA and asking Calvin, Di or Clay as I suspect they have dealt with that issue many times in the last 18 months.

Ima

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine

That would most likely be a good topic in itself, here, there, and also at Maritime SDA OnLine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up