Specialty Forums Category > Healthy Choices

Thanks To Sister

(1/2) > >>

bonnie:
Thanks for putting such a great choice in the forum. I am a challeneged  vegeterian cook to say the least.

We just never could afford meat when I was a child and I didn't grow up having to have a serving of meat. My husband grew up having it three times a day.
I can do nicely with potato,homemade bread, salad and another veggie so never made a great effort to learn. My boys never really liked meat all that well so didn't have to try to make them happy.

I do appreciate the variety that has been posted

Fran:
Someone once told me about sister and made outstanding comments about her cooking!.  I have been saving all of the recipes to maybe try one day.  I have been saving them in my "Advent Talk Cookbook!"

Sister:
I grew up in a meat eating, non-SDA family. At about age 12 I quit eating beef, I didn't like the idea of all that blood in red meat. It was a process for me over my teenage years: next went chicken and finally fish. My mother had a fit the first Thanksgiving I refused to eat Turkey, "What are you going to eat", she said. My reply, "Everything else!" Thanksgiving was a great feast at our home, my mother would invite people she knew who were single or whose families lived too far away to visit for the holiday. Believe me, being lacto-ovo vegetarian at the time I had no problem finding a feast with all the side dishes: mashed potatoes, creamed peas and onions, baked yams, green salad, fresh rolls, etc and always both apple and pumpkin pies. Both myself and, at the time my future brother-in-law do not like pumpkin. No guest ever went away hungry from my mother's table.

Later I developed a severe allergy to dairy products and taught myself to become a vegan/pure vegetarian cook. I discovered that many people, even in the SDA church think that Vegan food is something you eat, rather than starve, if nothing else is available. With the recipes I post I try to disspell that myth.

With the encouragement of Bonnie and Fran, I will continue to post tasty, healthy pure vegetarian recipes.

bonnie:
Please do. Like Fran I print them off so I have a list when I go to the store.

I really have to ask tho if some of the stranger sounding spices can have a english translation. Really feel like a dummy in the health food section not knowing where to look.

But it is fun as I like to cook and try new things. Hubby is fine with it if I don't draw his attention to it. If I do he acts as if I am trying to poison him.

Sister:
Bonnie, if there are any spices you are uncertain about, just make a comment in the recipe thread. If you are uncertain, there are probably others who have the same question. I will do my best to find an asnswer for you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version