Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks To Sister  (Read 11437 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Thanks To Sister
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »

Thanks for putting such a great choice in the forum. I am a challeneged  vegeterian cook to say the least.

We just never could afford meat when I was a child and I didn't grow up having to have a serving of meat. My husband grew up having it three times a day.
I can do nicely with potato,homemade bread, salad and another veggie so never made a great effort to learn. My boys never really liked meat all that well so didn't have to try to make them happy.

I do appreciate the variety that has been posted
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Fran

• Veteran Member
Re: Thanks To Sister
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:23:59 PM »

Someone once told me about sister and made outstanding comments about her cooking!.  I have been saving all of the recipes to maybe try one day.  I have been saving them in my "Advent Talk Cookbook!"

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »

I grew up in a meat eating, non-SDA family. At about age 12 I quit eating beef, I didn't like the idea of all that blood in red meat. It was a process for me over my teenage years: next went chicken and finally fish. My mother had a fit the first Thanksgiving I refused to eat Turkey, "What are you going to eat", she said. My reply, "Everything else!" Thanksgiving was a great feast at our home, my mother would invite people she knew who were single or whose families lived too far away to visit for the holiday. Believe me, being lacto-ovo vegetarian at the time I had no problem finding a feast with all the side dishes: mashed potatoes, creamed peas and onions, baked yams, green salad, fresh rolls, etc and always both apple and pumpkin pies. Both myself and, at the time my future brother-in-law do not like pumpkin. No guest ever went away hungry from my mother's table.

Later I developed a severe allergy to dairy products and taught myself to become a vegan/pure vegetarian cook. I discovered that many people, even in the SDA church think that Vegan food is something you eat, rather than starve, if nothing else is available. With the recipes I post I try to disspell that myth.

With the encouragement of Bonnie and Fran, I will continue to post tasty, healthy pure vegetarian recipes.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »

Please do. Like Fran I print them off so I have a list when I go to the store.

I really have to ask tho if some of the stranger sounding spices can have a english translation. Really feel like a dummy in the health food section not knowing where to look.

But it is fun as I like to cook and try new things. Hubby is fine with it if I don't draw his attention to it. If I do he acts as if I am trying to poison him.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »

Bonnie, if there are any spices you are uncertain about, just make a comment in the recipe thread. If you are uncertain, there are probably others who have the same question. I will do my best to find an asnswer for you!

Emma

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:11:09 PM »

I add my thanks to Sister for all her contributions.  I live in a household where my retired husband does most of the cooking - mostly vegan and always vegetarian - but one day I am going to put some of these recipes into practice.   We occasionally ate meat when I was growing up, but I have avoided it for years - partly through conviction, partly through taste and very largely because it keeps the kitchen so much easier to clean, if the cooking is veggie  :D :thumbsup:

GRAT

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »

I raised my boys vegetarian and my youngest got to calling meat "dead meat".  When he was about 3 he had a friend he would have play dates with whose family were neither vegetarian or adventist.  Whenever they had lunch he would ask "is there any dead meat in this".  After a few times of this the other boys older sisters asked their mother "what is dead meat?"  She explained to them that meat was the body parts of dead animals.  She almost had two vegetarians on her hands after that.  (she had a sense of humor and thought it was funny)

Sister, please keep the recipes coming.  I am becoming more interested in vegan cooking. I'm trying to loose my bad attitude about it. Too many people used to have the "salvation by eating" attitude.  Have also had some tasty dishes so it can be done.  Don't mind no eggs or cheese if it tastes good.  I also love to read cookbooks.   :dogwag:

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:05:23 PM »

If you love to read cookbooks I can suggest this one, Veganomicon:The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook  by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Romero. It is availible online at Amazon.com

A sample recipe from the book, with some tips from the author:

Chickpea Noodle Soup

Tip: We use brown rice miso here, which has a nice winelike taste and isn’t too salty, but you can use any kind of miso you like. If using a stronger miso, such as barley miso, you may want to first use 1/4 cup and add more to taste from there. Need a little green? Add some chopped greens toward the end of the cooking process. Spinach, kale, chard—whatever you’ve got. Let them wilt and then serve.

Tip: Some soba noodles come wrapped conveniently in 3-ounce serving sizes. If yours aren’t wrapped, you can measure ’em this way: the circumference of one 3-ounce bundle is about the size of a quarter.

Tip: Soba noodles expand a lot when they’re soaking, so this isn’t the best soup to keep in the fridge overnight. If you don’t plan on eating it all in one day, use instead regular pasta noodles broken in half or thirds.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 cup peeled, thinly sliced carrots (or chopped baby carrots)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed in your fingers
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons mirin (optional)
1/3 cup brown rice miso
6 cups water or vegetable stock
2 cups cooked dried chickpeas, or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
6 ounces soba noodles

Directions:
Preheat a soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and carrots in the oil for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, and herbs, and sauté for another 5 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the mirin (or just a splash of water). Add the 6 cups of water and the chickpeas. Cover and bring to a boil.

Once the broth is boiling, break the soba noodles into thirds and throw them in. Lower the heat to medium so that the soup is at a low boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the miso and stir until it’s incorporated. Taste and adjust the salt, and add a little extra miso if you would like a stronger, saltier flavor

Johann

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:51:56 PM by Johann »
Pages: [1]   Go Up