Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garbanzo bean sandwich spread  (Read 5260 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Garbanzo bean sandwich spread
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »

In high school I ate a tuna fish sandwich from the cafeteria for lunch every day. My fish eating day are far behind me, I was never a fan of egg salad, I just don't care for eggs, but this both my husband and I like. Even non-vegetarians like them. You can adjust the amounts of any of the ingredients to get exactly the right taste for you: more or less onion, etc.

Garbanzo bean sandwich spread

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed and coarsely mashed with a potato masher
½ cup Vegenaise
1/4 cup green onions (both white part and green tops, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish OR 1/4 cup dill pickles, finely chopped (your choice, if you like sweet or dill)
1 teaspoon salt

Mash the garbanzos with a potato masher until chunky, add all the other ingredients and put in the frig until ready to use. Makes easy sandwiches for summer potluck. I prefer these using dill pickle, but the choice is up to you!

Note for Grat: you can make these using your Best Foods mayo, my mother does them that way.

GRAT

Re: Garbanzo bean sandwich spread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »

My mom used to make something like this using white beans and a friend used to have it with pinto beans.  I made some for my mother some time ago using white navy beans and she wanted to know if it was some kind of fish.  Maybe I will be brave and get veganaise and try it.   :puppykisses:

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:39:16 PM »

Let me know how you like it. Here is a hug  :pals: for being so brave! If worse comes to worse you can always make sandwiches with the Vegan sign at potluck, I bet they will all get gobbled up fast!

A hint, don't try the Vegenaise plain, it is not the same taste as Best Foods, try it first in the finished product. If you compare Vegan products to the original lacto-ovo products and expect it to be identical you may be disappointed, but if you just accept it as is you can find it a tasty alternative. We all need to remember there is no Best Foods or Vegenaise in Heaven, we will all be perfectly content feasting at the Tree of Life. Do I hear an  :amen:?

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »

Does anyone have a recipe for the now extinct "Sandwich Spread"?  I loved that stuff!  My family hated it, but I loved it.  I would love to eat it again with pickles on a sandwich!  I will even eat it with Vegenaise, even though Miracle Whip was awfully good too!  It is just not good for us!
Pages: [1]   Go Up