Issues & Concerns Category > 3ABN

Who Is Stephan Lewis??

<< < (2/8) > >>

Bob Pickle:
bonnie,

Danny's financial affidavit in July 2006 said he would give $500 a month in charitable contributions. That would be $6000 per year.

Danny said elsewhere that his horses were worth between $500 and $5000. What exactly the horses were worth that Stephen Lewis got I can't say, but outside of tax-related documents or emails, I don't know of anytime that Danny said that he had a horse worth more than $5000.

Suppose you want to sell a car for $3000 but can't find a taker. If you can donate it to someone and claim it was worth $10,000, and if that results in your paying $3000 less in taxes, then you got your $3000 for your car from Uncle Sam, even though Uncle Sam didn't get your car.

That is a possible explanation for what that was all about, and I strongly recommend that no one try such.

bonnie:

--- Quote from: Bob Pickle on August 10, 2008, 02:08:30 PM ---bonnie,

Danny's financial affidavit in July 2006 said he would give $500 a month in charitable contributions. That would be $6000 per year.

Danny said elsewhere that his horses were worth between $500 and $5000. What exactly the horses were worth that Stephen Lewis got I can't say, but outside of tax-related documents or emails, I don't know of anytime that Danny said that he had a horse worth more than $5000.

Suppose you want to sell a car for $3000 but can't find a taker. If you can donate it to someone and claim it was worth $10,000, and if that results in your paying $3000 less in taxes, then you got your $3000 for your car from Uncle Sam, even though Uncle Sam didn't get your car.

That is a possible explanation for what that was all about, and I strongly recommend that no one try such.

--- End quote ---

Bob,

I did this for 17 years on a daily basis.I well understand how this should go To make this feasible, don't know about the rest of what he claimed as charitble contributions,but to be feasible here means......
Stephan Lewis had a horse business, all proceeds went to the ministry. This has a few requirements at least as far as the receiver. It may be that Stpehan Lewis had a horse business,had the facilities to house the horses and the know how to care for them till sold. The selling would be a bit tougher if he did not have a reputation in this field . If they were part of a breeding program, then of course he has a horse business. Does he or did he??  I don't know
Without already owning and operating this business, what did he do with the horses. I don't care if he was selling 200.00 horses They have a variety of needs prior to selling that need to be met.
How stupid would it be for me to have donated you one  of my 2500.00 ,150 lb. dogs to you, living in a senior highrise  Telling you this is a charitble donation you could sell. Horses are even harder to cope with without fencing, feed etc. Most don't have that unless running a business or a hobby. If you board them it is even more expensive and would soon eat any profit and you would be paying for that charitable donation.

The reason I am questioning is it is not computing. Maybe it can and does make sense when the whole story would be told, but so far it does not seem those with inside knowledge care to respond to this. From my perspective it is not making sense.

Reading a bit about Stephan Lewis just made me more curious. That the receipent of this gift was another ministry just like his own. Donations must be extremely good if it not only gives them a reasonable or better lifestyle with money left over to promote a same ministry

bonnie:
At this point I am more curious about Stephan Lewis after a bit of what I read.
If you choose to there are many ways to circumvent some rules while farming or related business.
There are ways to legally and honestly reduce your taxable income.

Ozzie:

--- Quote from: Bob Pickle on August 10, 2008, 12:09:52 PM ---Independent preacher. Calls himself bishop. Had meetings in a hotel next to the GC session in 2005 in St. Louis.

I'm not too familiar with him.

--- End quote ---

Is that the guy who has put out DVD's entitled "I preached a Lie for (?)41 years".

He calls himself a Bishop, but that's the only guy I've ever heard of elevating himself to that status in the SDA Church.

It may 'fit' OK in some cultures to call oneself a Bishop but here, it just doesn't 'sit'.

And as for the title of his DVD, I don't believe it's the way to win friends and influence people. There are many ways to re-word the title so that is does not come across as offensive to new Christians. IMHO

Gregory:

--- Quote ---He calls himself a Bishop, but that's the only guy I've ever heard of elevating himself to that status in the SDA Church.
--- End quote ---

And you never heard of Bishop Lieske (I may not have spelled it correctly?).  He was on the air for years and did good work for the SDA church.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version