Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock (Radish, Onion, Cucumber, Kohlrabi) Salad  (Read 4770 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Rock (Radish, Onion, Cucumber, Kohlrabi) Salad
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »

Rock (Radish, Onion, Cucumber, Kohlrabi) Salad

These vegetables seem to go together for taste and crunch, especially in the summer.
SERVES 6 -8

Ingredients:

3 English cucumbers
10-12 radishes, thinly sliced
1 small sweet onion, peeled, thinly sliced
2 kohlrabi, peeled, sliced and coursely chopped
1 cup Vegenaise, soy mayonnaise
1 cup  Tofutti Sour Supreme, vegan sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt or salt substitute
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions:

Cut of  the ends of the cucumbers, then take a fork and tine the cucumber peel of each cucumber down lengthways on all side of the cucumber. This will create a design of thin ridges down the peel. Slice in thin rounds.

Put all of the cut and sliced vegetables in a large strainer.
Sprinkle with salt or salt substitute. Let set.

In a mixing bowl combine the Veganise, Sour Supreme, sugar, celery seed and lemon juice. Stir until mixed.

Place the drained vegetables into a bowl and add the dressing. Toss and chill before serving.

Wonderful to eat with mashed potatoes.

Fix the potatoes the way you like them and together serve together with this salad for a simple meatless meal.

© 2008 Recipezaar

GRAT

Re: Rock (Radish, Onion, Cucumber, Kohlrabi) Salad
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »

What is kohlrabi and where would you get it?  :help:

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »

Grat, following is a link from Wikipedia that has both a picture and an explanation about Kohlrabi. Probably the best place to find it is in a farmer's market or ask the produce manager in your local grocery. My grandparents were both from families of German immigrants that came to the USA when they were children. They always had Kohlrabis growing in their garden. I remember eating them fresh from the garden, plain, cut in slices. They are crunchy, mildly sweet and very tasty. Imagine that a broccoli stem married a mildly sweet apple, their children would be Kohlrabi. I know that sounds strange, but it really tastes good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlrabi

Here is an additional picture of a Kohlrabi plant and information on growing it.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2007-08-01/Growing-Kohlrabi.aspx
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:05:44 PM by Sister »

GRAT

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:42:05 PM »

Thank you Sister! That was very nice of you to put those links in.  Never heard of them but look interesting.  Would like to try it.  Will have to look at the farmers market to see if I can find it.  Or go to Olympia where they have more stores and better selections.  There are some disadvantages to living in a small town.  Do you think it would be good without the cucumber?  Maybe there is something that could be substituted for them.  (I hate cucumbers!)

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:24:43 AM »

Grat, you might try substituting sliced celery for the cucumber, different taste, but still crunchy! If that is the Olympia I am thinking of than, you might know where my grandparents lived, north of you: Port Orchard. If you have garden space, you could probably find kohlrabi seeds and plant now for the fall harvest in October.

GRAT

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »

If I can find the Kohlrabi I will try it with celery.  As to the growing it, I can kill silk plants.  :hot:  The right Olympia but I am south.   :TY:
Pages: [1]   Go Up