Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Being a Christain at Work  (Read 4394 times)

Tick_Tok

Being a Christain at Work
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »

At my job fellow employees sometime swear and regularly may talk about exploits that run contrary to what the Bible teaches. What advice would you offer to a Christian in this environment?

Emma

Re: Being a Christain at Work
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »

First and foremost tread gently. 

Have you been in the position long....ie do they know you and your beliefs and standards?   If they know these and respect you, they are much more likely to listen to any comments you make.

In the meantime, if possible, move away or show somehow that you  are not interested in what they are discussing.

I hope this is of some help.

Johann

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »

Some years back I went swimming  in the early morning hours where  all the men went into the sauna to review the local news. All knew that I was a Seventh-day Adventist pastor. Some of the men used rather strong language, but far from all of them. A prominent business man often swore. When I asked him if he needed to use this kind of language to express himself he apologized. Said he forgot the pastor was present. After that the men used a refined language, at least when I was around, and I was even more welcome in their group.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:47 PM »

This happens in most workplaces....unless you are working for GC, conference, 3ABN, any of our institutions, any other religious org., etc...........  The best advice I can give is to live the life before them.  At my last job and present job, i dont' even get the bad jokes.  Just live the life.  That is always the best sermon.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Tick_Tok

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »

Thank you all for your insightful responses. Some people know I am an Adventist. I will remember your words as I go in each day. One of my coworkers ask me about my faith quite often so I'll let God guide me.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »

Excellent plan!
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up