Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas prices?  (Read 33939 times)

Tsatsui

Re: Gas prices?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »

How about $4.09 for premium?  That's the highest I know of here.

Ozzie

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 12:35:37 AM »

$1.52 litre minimum here today. What is that in gallons, you Maths experts? :cat:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 12:56:05 AM »

$1.52 litre minimum here today. What is that in gallons, you Maths experts? :cat:

$1.54 per litre here. No wonder my husband objects to me using the car for volunteer work.

RedFalcon

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »

Gas prices are already $4 a gallon around my home.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »

We are now up to $1.29 a litre in this part of Canada.

RedFalcon

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »

Food prices are expected to rise 4.5 percent. As the economy stalls food kitchens for the poor have five times as many to feed with less donations for food to work with as people cut back on their giving to charities.  I wonder how this economic slowdown is affecting the church giving?

Lil Star

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »

The price here for gas just went up to $3.60 here yesterday. It is sure on the way up to the predicted amount of $5.00 by summertime.
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 01:18:26 AM »

The price here for gas just went up to $3.60 here yesterday. It is sure on the way up to the predicted amount of $5.00 by summertime.

Just heard on the news that fuel hit $1.57 litre in this area today. I think that = $5.95 a gallon. Think I'll be staying home mostly.

Lil Star

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 06:18:20 AM »

Gas prices have reached the $4.00 mark in the Portland Oregon area. Seems it is going higher and higher and faster and faster. Just the Sunday I went to get gas and only paid $3.39 a gallon. Guess I'm glad I filled up when I did.  :thumbsup:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

christined

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »

In the midwest, $3.39 as of yesterday.  We travel to see family with an RV, so have to make cuts somewhere else.  It is a matter of deciding what you want to do with your disposable income after necessities, if there is any left.  Maybe we will have to stay home. :(

Azenilto Brito

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 07:46:05 PM »

Well, are we concerned with the price of gas to fill the car's tank? How about those who are concerned with the price of food to fill their stomachs? See the news and comments below
:

Ethanol Agriculture Blamed For World Food Crisis

The BBC of London recently quoted statements by the presidents of Bolivia, Evo Morales, and Peru, Alan García, on the negative impact of the expansion of agricultural areas for growing plants to be used to produce ethanol, which would be the cause of food price increases worldwide, and the reason for popular protests in several places such as Haiti and Egypt.
        UN authorities and other agencies that fight poverty and hunger have manifested objection on the same line of reasoning, calling upon the governments of countries which engage themselves in this activity to give more attention to the negative impact of the expansion of agriculture aimed at the production of ethanol, as is the case of the U.S. (corn), and Brazil (sugar cane).
       The report mentions that the president of Brazil, Luis Inácio Lula da Silva, not only dismissed this factor, but signed an agreement with the government of Ghana, in Africa, for agricultural activities in that country exactly aiming at ethanol production.
       Josette Sheeran, chief-executive of UN’s World Food Program, spoke at a meeting Tuesday in London about a "silent tsunami" of hunger that is invading the most desperate nations, caused by increases in the price of food, unpredictable climate and growing demands on the part of emerging powers such as China and India. The price of rice more than doubled in the last five weeks, she said. The World Bank estimates that food prices rose by 83 percent over the past three years.
       We can expect now to hear calls from some leaders for "global joint efforts" to overcome this crisis that seems more and more challenging, increasingly affecting the poorest segments of the population, and causing hunger and despair among those who are the most vulnerable people everywhere - the poor throughout the planet, especially in the developing world.
       Think of the "eschatological implications" of this new trends. . .

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »

Well, are we concerned with the price of gas to fill the car's tank? How about those who are concerned with the price of food to fill their stomachs? See the news and comments below
:

Ethanol Agriculture Blamed For World Food Crisis

The BBC of London recently quoted statements by the presidents of Bolivia, Evo Morales, and Peru, Alan García, on the negative impact of the expansion of agricultural areas for growing plants to be used to produce ethanol, which would be the cause of food price increases worldwide, and the reason for popular protests in several places such as Haiti and Egypt.
        UN authorities and other agencies that fight poverty and hunger have manifested objection on the same line of reasoning, calling upon the governments of countries which engage themselves in this activity to give more attention to the negative impact of the expansion of agriculture aimed at the production of ethanol, as is the case of the U.S. (corn), and Brazil (sugar cane).
       The report mentions that the president of Brazil, Luis Inácio Lula da Silva, not only dismissed this factor, but signed an agreement with the government of Ghana, in Africa, for agricultural activities in that country exactly aiming at ethanol production.
       Josette Sheeran, chief-executive of UN’s World Food Program, spoke at a meeting Tuesday in London about a "silent tsunami" of hunger that is invading the most desperate nations, caused by increases in the price of food, unpredictable climate and growing demands on the part of emerging powers such as China and India. The price of rice more than doubled in the last five weeks, she said. The World Bank estimates that food prices rose by 83 percent over the past three years.
       We can expect now to hear calls from some leaders for "global joint efforts" to overcome this crisis that seems more and more challenging, increasingly affecting the poorest segments of the population, and causing hunger and despair among those who are the most vulnerable people everywhere - the poor throughout the planet, especially in the developing world.
       Think of the "eschatological implications" of this new trends. . .

No one is denying the needs in these countires, where poverty is the 'normal' experience. I believe that all these things point more and more to the soon coming of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Most concerns are 'relative' to what one's usual life experiences are, I believe.

RedFalcon

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 10:46:25 PM »

Oil Prices keep Climbing. It hit $126 a barrel today. They are talking about gas hitting $5 a gallon by summers end now. Time to start taking the mass transit systems I guess.

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »

Oil Prices keep Climbing. It hit $126 a barrel today. They are talking about gas hitting $5 a gallon by summers end now. Time to start taking the mass transit systems I guess.

And... when there is no public transport, what do people do? It's amazing that even Church folk don't stop to think that they may be able to take someone else to Church with them.

Ozzie

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 11:35:59 PM »

And... when there is no public transport, what do people do? It's amazing that even Church folk don't stop to think that they may be able to take someone else to Church with them.

At $1.61 per litre here, I think that works out to about $6.10 gallon. No wonder we think twice, before using the car at all. I guess there are many people in that same situation.  :dunno:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up