Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Tommy Shelton allowed to live in Illinois?  (Read 9991 times)

mrst53

Is Tommy Shelton allowed to live in Illinois?
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »

I was reading on another site that the the reason that TS had such a "long distance" to go to 3ABN and due to Tommy's health he was "retiring" early :ROFL:, was that he was not allowed to live in Illinois.  Nothing was ever clarified, even tho someone else asked. Does anyone on this site know? And if he wasn't allowed to live in Illinois, why not?

Has anyone found out where he is living now, since he can't leave Virginia?
Thanks, Mrst

childoftheking

Re: Is Tommy Shelton allowed to live in Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:52:01 AM »

He is currently not allowed to leave

The current requirement is that he is currently not supposed to leave Virginia until the trial but his legal residence is in Kentucky. Does anyone know if the requirement that Tommy could not live in Illinois was a documented legal agreement? If so who holds the paperwork? Or if it was only a verbal threat?

virgi

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:07:17 AM »

If you were Tommy and had his history, would you want to live in Southern Illinois??? Let's see, just how many victims did we identify in Sounthern Illinois? Anyone recall the exact number? And would you stick around and have to walk down the streets running into all those skeletons in your closet?

And then there is the known concern of family members expressed best by the question: "would you let uncle Tommy take your kids for ice cream???"

It is an unfortunate addiction that seems to have no real bounds for the addicted as in the MAMBL memberbership...for the rest of us it is a parents worst nightmare!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

childoftheking

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »

The current requirement is that he is currently not supposed to leave Virginia until the trial but his legal residence is in Kentucky. Does anyone know if the requirement that Tommy could not live in Illinois was a documented legal agreement? If so who holds the paperwork? Or if it was only a verbal threat?
Sorry I did not preview my previous post but had to write and leave. Then was not able to modify or correct it when I got back home. Since the fact that Tommy was not able to live in Illinois is common knowledge in West Frankfort, I wondered who told him that he couldn't and if it was an informal deal, how many people witnessed it. The reason I ask is because a person posted elsewhere that though he had a legal residence in Kentucky, he spent most of his time at 3ABN. Seems to me this information about him being required to live out of state and the rule not being enforced is relevant to the upcoming trial.

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »

Sorry I did not preview my previous post but had to write and leave. Then was not able to modify or correct it when I got back home. Since the fact that Tommy was not able to live in Illinois is common knowledge in West Frankfort, I wondered who told him that he couldn't and if it was an informal deal, how many people witnessed it. The reason I ask is because a person posted elsewhere that though he had a legal residence in Kentucky, he spent most of his time at 3ABN. Seems to me this information about him being required to live out of state and the rule not being enforced is relevant to the upcoming trial.

That is not a fact, not common knowledge, nor is it even true that he cannot live in Illinois. (except presently as he has to stay in Virginia until his trial.) You and MrsT53 are asking good questions, but need to ask them of the person (people) who told you that he couldn't live in Illinois as they are either misinformed, or are talking maliciously.(bearing false witness). If it was true they would of course be able to supply some kind of documentation or evidence, not just empty words...

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »

That is not a fact, not common knowledge, nor is it even true that he cannot live in Illinois. (except presently as he has to stay in Virginia until his trial.) You and MrsT53 are asking good questions, but need to ask them of the person (people) who told you that he couldn't live in Illinois as they are either misinformed, or are talking maliciously.(bearing false witness). If it was true they would of course be able to supply some kind of documentation or evidence, not just empty words...
Once again, you speak when you have no clue what you're talking about. It certainly IS common knowledge around West Frankfort, but I don't think it was a legal agreement. I'm not sure such an agreement could even BE legal. My understanding is that a previous victim's family agreed not to press charges if Tommy moved out of Illinois.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

mrst53

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 04:55:55 PM »

I asked about Tommy's residence because of what I read on another site. It was referred to, when Tommy was "retired early from 3abn" due to his health reasons and because his daily commute was so long. The person on that site said it was because Tommy was not allow to live in Illinois. I asked on this site, because I was not allowed to post on that site and there seemed to be more people on this site with more information.  :TY:

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »

Once again, you speak when you have no clue what you're talking about. It certainly IS common knowledge around West Frankfort, but I don't think it was a legal agreement. I'm not sure such an agreement could even BE legal. My understanding is that a previous victim's family agreed not to press charges if Tommy moved out of Illinois.

I agree, it is common knowledge around West Frankfort. My understanding is that Goldie Shelton begged the family of one of Tommy's victims to agree not to press charges against Tommy if he moved permanently out of Illinois.  No legal document, only a so called "gentleman's agreement". Goldie did not want to see her son go to prison.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »

I agree, it is common knowledge around West Frankfort. My understanding is that Goldie Shelton begged the family of one of Tommy's victims to agree not to press charges against Tommy if he moved permanently out of Illinois.  No legal document, only a so called "gentleman's agreement". Goldie did not want to see her son go to prison.
I can't really fault Goldie for that. She had a love for Tommy that only a mother could have. I'm sure she was hoping against all hope that if he moved away he would get his life straight. Goldie was a fine Christian lady, and a personal friend of mine.
Duane Clem

Pat Williams

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 09:19:01 PM »

Sister is known for her unverifiable and false gossip. She was not present during the time and event she alleges, nor did she ever meet Goldie Shelton to my knowledge.

I can't really fault Goldie for that. She had a love for Tommy that only a mother could have. I'm sure she was hoping against all hope that if he moved away he would get his life straight. Goldie was a fine Christian lady, and a personal friend of mine.

Mr Clem's previous explanation to Bob Pickle for why Tommy Shelton moved from Illinois was:

Your "informant", Glenn Dryden, is not a credible source of information. He also made some hideous accusations against me a few years back. They were for the same reason as the ones he is leveling against Tommy Shelton: JEALOUSY. Glenn Dryden is a spiteful, vindictive backstabber when someone crosses him. He has done this with numerous people over the past several years, and took the Ezra Church of God down nearly to the point of closure. I had to threaten him with legal action myself to get him to shut his mouth... You are correct in thinking that Glenn Dryden had nothing to do with the 1985 allegations. That was a totally separate set of circumstances, and was also when the Ezra Church of God (which I attended at the time) severed ties with the Church of God, Anderson. We became an independent Church of God and shortly thereafter Tommy received ordination from another Church of God organization, and according to their website is still listed as a minister with them. (http://www.churchofgodcv.org/addresses.aspx/) Glenn Dryden never had the success at Ezra that Tommy saw as pastor, and I believe that is where the jealousy has come from. Tommy also began attending Ezra for a while when Dryden was pastor, and Dryden did not like it. He was very instrumental in Tommy taking the pastorate at Community Church of God in Dunn Loring, VA and even made the statement to me personally shortly after it was announced, "Well, it looks like the Sheltons will be out of here soon."

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 02:12:09 AM »

Sister is known for her unverifiable and false gossip. She was not present during the time and event she alleges, nor did she ever meet Goldie Shelton to my knowledge.

Mr Clem's previous explanation to Bob Pickle for why Tommy Shelton moved from Illinois was:

Your "informant", Glenn Dryden, is not a credible source of information. He also made some hideous accusations against me a few years back. They were for the same reason as the ones he is leveling against Tommy Shelton: JEALOUSY. Glenn Dryden is a spiteful, vindictive backstabber when someone crosses him. He has done this with numerous people over the past several years, and took the Ezra Church of God down nearly to the point of closure. I had to threaten him with legal action myself to get him to shut his mouth... You are correct in thinking that Glenn Dryden had nothing to do with the 1985 allegations. That was a totally separate set of circumstances, and was also when the Ezra Church of God (which I attended at the time) severed ties with the Church of God, Anderson. We became an independent Church of God and shortly thereafter Tommy received ordination from another Church of God organization, and according to their website is still listed as a minister with them. (http://www.churchofgodcv.org/addresses.aspx/) Glenn Dryden never had the success at Ezra that Tommy saw as pastor, and I believe that is where the jealousy has come from. Tommy also began attending Ezra for a while when Dryden was pastor, and Dryden did not like it. He was very instrumental in Tommy taking the pastorate at Community Church of God in Dunn Loring, VA and even made the statement to me personally shortly after it was announced, "Well, it looks like the Sheltons will be out of here soon."

Your attempt to discredit me here is totally out of context and makes you look even more stupid than before. Mind your own business, you meddling busybody.
Duane Clem

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 01:45:31 PM »

It does sound credible that this type of agreement was made, as it is common to have such concessions made in place of actually contacting the authorities and filing formal charges.  This is also way we have the latent lawsuits and charges filed by adults 20+ years later.  The parents would concede to these condidtions for the sake of the ministry, organization, family, etc. without being aware of the harm still being done to their child.   

It is also common practice with churches, SDA in particular, to move pastors once they offend in one way or the other(spousal abuse, adultery, embezzlement, etc).

Another thing is, I can't think of any other reason why TS needed to commute to 3ABN, when I am sure his brother could have arranged housing for him at 3ABN.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Stan

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

It is also common practice with churches, SDA in particular, to move pastors once they offend in one way or the other(spousal abuse, adultery, embezzlement, etc).

While that may have been true at one time, if someone repented, was rebaptized etc, today... it is very rare, and Lord help the conference if our insurance company, Adventist Risk Management find out.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 04:11:54 PM »

While that may have been true at one time, if someone repented, was rebaptized etc, today... it is very rare, and Lord help the conference if our insurance company, Adventist Risk Management find out.

Well put, Stan.

I personally know of something questionable that was alleged to have happened 20 years ago or more, and the pastor ended up finding a different line of work. He was not transferred.

childoftheking

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »

It still happems. Told to me by the new wife of an ex minister who could have stayed in the ministry if he had been willing to move.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up