Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Samoan Sabbath Problem  (Read 85406 times)

Johann

Re: The Samoan Sabbath Problem
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2012, 01:58:21 AM »

Are there any Jews on Samoa? If there are, which day do they keep as Sabbath?

Johann

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2012, 02:44:37 AM »

I found this on Google:

"Arthur Weiss, I'm an Orthodox Jew living in the UK.

"The web-site link gives the answer - namely that
1) Jews should avoid Western Samoa if possible. There are not known to be any religious / Shabbat observant Jews in the country so practically it is not an issue except for one or two Jews known to be living there.
2) This week, Shabbat would start on Thursday night and end on Saturday to cover the switch."

Dedication

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »

Interesting -- for if it starts on Thursday night and ends on Saturday night the Jews would be covering the "switch" of 1892 when all the Samoan Islands switched to American time! 
There is still "American Samoan" that lies east of "Independant Samoa" that is still on American time.

It is those in Independant Samoa that are now worshipping on Sunday, refusing to acknowledge they are back on Australian time.

Dedication

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »

SDA church in Samoa to worship on Sundays

Updated 14 August 2012, 16:46 AEST

The Seventh Day Adventist Church in Samoa has decided it's official day of worship will be Sunday.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/radio/program/pacific-beat/sda-church-in-samoa-to-worship-on-sundays/999106

I don't think this is final
this is the Sunday party trying to make it final.

To me this issue is far more significant than the fight over whether women can be conference presidents or not.

If the church can call Sunday the seventh day -- they have totally undermined the whole reason for being a seventh-day Adventist and have sided with the very party prophecy has warned us would deceive the whole world.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

It's not the fight over women conference presidents, it is the issue of Unions taking action that put them in rebellion against the General Conference.

Elder Wilson felt that the action was important enough to meet with them personally, and also preach a sermon about it.

I think what makes the women's ordination issue more important is that the rebellion involves a more politically sensitive and geographically crucial part of the world church. 
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Dedication

« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »

So what about making a ruling that sunday is now the Sabbath day.
I regard that as rebellion as well.

It's against the very foundational name of Seventh-day Adventists.

How is it that these South Pacific Adventist Leaders have a consitutency to make a policy that declares Sunday to be the Sabbath day?

Everything I've heard against why the unions and divisions can't adopt a policy to ordain women should apply with equal force if not more so to a conference and division declaring SUNDAY to the Sabbath.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »

The seventh-day is the seventh-day no matter what day it falls on.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »

So what about making a ruling that sunday is now the Sabbath day.
I regard that as rebellion as well.

It's against the very foundational name of Seventh-day Adventists.

How is it that these South Pacific Adventist Leaders have a consitutency to make a policy that declares Sunday to be the Sabbath day?

Everything I've heard against why the unions and divisions can't adopt a policy to ordain women should apply with equal force if not more so to a conference and division declaring SUNDAY to the Sabbath.

The key point in your post above is "I regard..."

What you personally regard as significant rebellion might not be the same as what GC leaders see as rebellion.

You can tell them your views if you like and see if they will agree with you.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Dedication

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »

I understand  the GC Adventist Research Institute came to the conclusion after years of study that Sunday would be the correct day of worship for the local 9.000 Adventists there in Samoa because that was the day previously called Saturday on the old calendar.

A minority dissident group insists on keeping Sabbath according to the new calendar to show they are not keeping the Roman Catholic Sunday. Some of them claim that Samoan churches in the United States and Australia and New Zealand are among their supporters.

Misinformation,
 the GC Adventist Research Institute did not come to that conclusion.

The Biblical Research Committee (BRC) of the South Pacific Division (SPD) may have decided that, but not the GC Adventist Research Institute.

This is part of the false information that is floating around and was used to pressure the people to worship on Sunday.

The GC has confirmed that there is no documented action by the General Conference endorsing or supporting the action of the Samoa SDA administration to change its Sabbath day of worship to Sunday.

At present the decision of the South Pacific division is in direct opposition to stated Adventist belief.

This ruling by leadership in the South Pacific is against stated church
doctrine.

Read here:
The Church Manual Revised 2010 (18th Edition), p. 138.

"The Sabbath holds a special place in our lives. The seventh day of the week,
from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday (Lev. 23:32), is a gift from God, a sign
of His grace in time." ·

The Seventh-day Adventists Believe (An exposition of the fundamental beliefs of
the  SDA Church), 2005 Edition, page 296 and 297 states: "The
Sabbath begins at sunset on Friday evening and ends at sunset Saturday evening
(see Gen 3:15; cf. Mark 1:32).
And in 1988 edition page 263

What gives the SPD the right or the constituency to rule anything else?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:40:01 PM by Ulicia »

Dedication

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »

The seventh-day is the seventh-day no matter what day it falls on.
That is what all Sunday observers the world over say.    They too keep every seventh day. 
Unless the seventh day has a name that sets it apart from the other six days of the week, any day can be the repeating seventh.
Saturday is established as the seventh-day -- the creation Sabbath -- the Sabbath when Christ rested in the tomb,-- by every Seventh-day Adventist church/conference/union/division the world over.  Except in the Pacific where sunday, which will be the mark of the beast, is creeping in slowly covering more and more territory and being defended as the "true sabbath".

It just goes to show how crafty the devil is in bringing in sunday -- I often wondered how a Seventh-day Adventist could be deceived into accepting Sunday.   We are shown how easy by what's happening in Samoa.  All it takes is to call Sunday "the seventh day". :'(

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »

I wasn't referring to any seventh-day. but to the seventh-day whatever day that is irregardless on what side of the date-line that seventh-day is named, be it named Saturday or Sunday.

Dedication

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »

I wasn't referring to any seventh-day. but to the seventh-day whatever day that is irregardless on what side of the date-line that seventh-day is named, be it named Saturday or Sunday.
The seventh-day is named Saturday on both sides of the dateline.
Adventists in New Zealand and Australia go to church on Saturday, as do Adventists in Hawaii and Oregon even though they are on opposite sides of the dateline.     Saturday is the seventh-day on both sides of the dateline.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

Ulicia, that is a serious issue. If indeed they are keeping Sunday in direct defiance of the GC mandate on Sabbath keeping, and if the SPD condones it, wouldn't it make sense that the SPD should be disbanded or removed from fellowship? I am shocked that we haven't seen an outcry against this rebellion against one if our most core doctrines.

Why hasn't the Church made an example of what happens to a field that goes into rebellion against the GC by disfellowshiping or disbanding the entire SPD?? I am sure that everyone who has called for decisive action against CUC for something as small ad WO will of course call for even stronger action against Samoa, and against the SPD.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:25:29 PM by Murcielago »

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2012, 02:49:38 AM »

The Seventh Day Adventist Church in Samoa has decided it's official day of worship will be Sunday.

This follows a disagreement over what day constitutes the sabbath when Samoa recently changed days by moving the international dateline to the east, so as to be on the same day of the week as Australia and New Zealand.

The sabbath day is a central part of SDA beliefs, so having some congregations worshipping on a Sunday and others on a Saturday was a serious theological challenge.

Ben Tofilau, the Chief Financial Officer of the Samoan Seventh Day Adventist Church, tells Bruce Hill a panel of biblical researchers has now decided the issue, and almost everyone has accepted it.

You have two groups of honest people who are attempting to follow the Biblical teaching.  The Biblical teaching is not that one keep a 7th day.  It is that one keep THE 7th day.  It is not possible to trace the weekly cycle back to the time of creation.  We do not even know the year that God created the Earth and therefore established the 7th day.  However, we can trace the weekly cycle back to the time of Christ.

One group of people honestly believes that due to a movement of the International Date Line, the 7th day that Christ kept is now named Sunday and therefore, as we should keep the same 7th day that Christ kept, we should now keep Sunday.

The 2nd group disagrees with them.

The international Date Line is of human origon.  There is nothing Biblical about it.  Some here have posted, if I understand them, that there is a Biblically established date line.  While I do not agree with that, I understand that those people are honest people who are attempting to do what God wants us to do.  These people say, as I understand them, that such a Date Line would have the Biblical 7th day on a day that in Samoa is now called Saturday.  O.K.  Such would also  change the day of the week in some other places of the world. Such a date line would potentially change some other places in the world to a 7th day that is called Friday, as I understand it.

I respect the spiritual integrety of those who disagree withme on this. I acknowledge that they are attempting to follow the leading of God.  But, I would ask that they attribute the same to those  who differ with them.  None are attempting to follow a papal custom.  None are attemptling to rebell agailnst God's leading.

christian

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2012, 03:03:46 AM »

This follows a disagreement over what day constitutes the sabbath when Samoa recently changed days by moving the international dateline to the east, so as to be on the same day of the week as Australia and New Zealand.

The sabbath day is a central part of SDA beliefs, so having some congregations worshipping on a Sunday and others on a Saturday was a serious theological challenge.

Ben Tofilau, the Chief Financial Officer of the Samoan Seventh Day Adventist Church, tells Bruce Hill a panel of biblical researchers has now decided the issue, and almost everyone has accepted it.

You have two groups of honest people who are attempting to follow the Biblical teaching.  The Biblical teaching is not that one keep a 7th day.  It is that one keep THE 7th day.  It is not possible to trace the weekly cycle back to the time of creation.  We do not even know the year that God created the Earth and therefore established the 7th day.  However, we can trace the weekly cycle back to the time of Christ.

One group of people honestly believes that due to a movement of the International Date Line, the 7th day that Christ kept is now named Sunday and therefore, as we should keep the same 7th day that Christ kept, we should now keep Sunday.

The 2nd group disagrees with them.

The international Date Line is of human origon.  There is nothing Biblical about it.  Some here have posted, if I understand them, that there is a Biblically established date line.  While I do not agree with that, I understand that those people are honest people who are attempting to do what God wants us to do.  These people say, as I understand them, that such a Date Line would have the Biblical 7th day on a day that in Samoa is now called Saturday.  O.K.  Such would also  change the day of the week in some other places of the world. Such a date line would potentially change some other places in the world to a 7th day that is called Friday, as I understand it.

I respect the spiritual integrety of those who disagree withme on this. I acknowledge that they are attempting to follow the leading of God.  But, I would ask that they attribute the same to those  who differ with them.  None are attempting to follow a papal custom.  None are attemptling to rebell agailnst God's leading.

Perfect example of what I am talking about that drives me crazy. Why is there not fasting and praying for God to settle the issue? The reason is because people don't really believe God exist or that Jesus is still alive after all this time. I know I am crazy to ask that question, I know. The fact of the matter is that we have such a drought of the Holy Spirit and Prophets and wisdom that people really think God cannot give them the answer. But that is primarily because they refuse to believe that God will talk to people the same as in Biblical times. Instead the answer must be found in the everyone doing what is right in their own eyes. Is God alive or is he dead? If he is alive he can verbably talk and straighten things that are not addressed in the Bible. But of course we do not believe that he exist do we.?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up