Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oral Roberts Dies.  (Read 3533 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Oral Roberts Dies.
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »

Today Oral Roberts died at age 91. One of the original mega-televangelists, Roberts overcame tuberculosis at age 17 and after a short stint as pastor of a local church his vision grew larger. Was it a vision of ministy, or was it business? What were the goals he sought after? Souls for God's kingdom? The betterment of life for humanity? The dollars those souls could bring him? Fame? Power? A combination of the above?

Where is the line drawn between business and ministry? Can decisions that will expand personal wealth be made for ministry without being influenced by the extra personal dollars? Can ministry evolve into strictly business? If a person stands to make millions by selling salvation, does it cheapen their work? Is motivation even a factor? Does God really care if a person's primary motivation for spreading the Gospel is money? Is a Gospel spread for money a true Gospel?

Lots of questions...

Johann

Re: Oral Roberts Dies.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:00:31 AM »

Is the televangelist "loved" by so many for his wealth or his message?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Oral Roberts Dies.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »

You know Johann, at first, I believe it was for his message, just as with Billy Graham.  However, in the 80's when he went a bit left with the " I have to raise this money or God will call me home" thing seemed to change people's perspective.  After that you saw a gradual move to place his son in the forefront.  In fact,  I believe Oral was off the air for a bit after that, and I remember other televangelists(Jerry Falwell, etc.) being asked about it and saying that he needed prayer.

As to George's OP, yes anything is possible with man.  As long as man establishes these ministries, even under the guidance of the Holy Spirit initially, they are always subject to the infallibility of men.  Most have the best intentions, and then yield to one temptation or another to varying degrees. Large ministries such as oral Robert's, even GC, have to be "business" at a certain point.  It is, however,  fine line that they walk between "business" and the "The Father's business of ministry"

Good news is that God knows this and their hearts even before He impresses them to establish a ministry.  Just like he annointed David to be king knowing ALL of his failings and moral weakness.  As the song says, "He looked beyond my faults.............."
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up