Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS - Tommy Shelton pleads guilty, faces possible prison time  (Read 67519 times)

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member

Tommy Shelton pledged guilty this morning to two counts of custodial indecent liberties with a minor in a Fairfax County, Virginia court room. The judge reportedly told Tommy that he may reject the plea agreement and sentence him to prison due to the nature of the offences. Tommy said he understood and entered two pleas of guilty, rendering all claims by his defenders useless. If you remember, they were claiming he was basically forced to plead guilty to AVOID prison. Sentencing will be on September 24.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

Adam

• Veteran Member

http://pietyinc.com/?p=4492

A Kentucky pastor pleaded guilty Monday to molesting 2-boys who belonged to his Fairfax, Virginia church when he pastored it in the 1990s.

[Tommy] Shelton, 65, was the pastor of Community Church of God in the Dunn Loring area from 1995 to 2000. Authorities said two men came forward to Fairfax police in 2008 and alleged that Shelton sexually assaulted them in the 1990s.

Shelton, who had been living in Kentucky, was arrested in March.

Both victims were in the courtroom for Shelton’s pleas to two felony counts of taking indecent liberties with a child under the adult’s supervision.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member

Minister pleads guilty to molesting boys in Fairfax
The former pastor of a Fairfax County church pleaded guilty Monday morning to molesting two boys who were members of his church in the 1990s, and Fairfax prosecutors agreed to a deal in which the man would spend no time in jail.

But Fairfax Circuit Court Judge Randy I. Bellows said he may not accept the deal, in which case the defendant, Tommy R. Shelton Jr., could withdraw his plea and take the case to another judge.

Shelton, 65, was the pastor of Community Church of God in the Dunn Loring area from 1995 to 2000. Authorities said two men came forward to Fairfax police in 2008 and alleged that Shelton sexually assaulted them in the 1990s.

Both victims were in the courtroom for Shelton's pleas to two felony counts of taking indecent liberties with a child under the adult's supervision. Each charge carriies a penalty of up to five years in prison. Both said afterward they approved the plea deal, even without jail time, as long as Shelton admitted his guilt and was placed on the sex offender registry.

One of the men testified at a May hearing, and Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Katherine E. Stott confirmed Monday, that Shelton had performed oral sex on him in 1995 or 1996, when he was 14. Shelton had been seeing the boy for counseling and piano lessons, Stott said, and told him that their various sexual activity was "the type of relationship a father and son had."

The other man testified in May that when he was 11, he and Shelton would go on bike rides, and Shelton would direct him into the woods and then fondle him. Stott said on one occasion, Shelton molested the boy in the kitchen of the Community Church of God.

Bellows, a former federal prosecutor, seemed skeptical of a plea bargain with no jail time. "I'm telling you all right now," the judge said, "I may ultimately reject this agreement."

Shelton has been free on bond, and Bellows said that without the plea agreement, "I would have little doubt about incarcerating the defendant pending sentencing." But prosecutors did not ask for Shelton's bond to be revoked, or for any jail sentence, so he allowed Shelton to remain free.

Bellows asked the prosecutor why she had agreed to the plea deal proposed by defense attorneys Kimberly Irving and Thomas Pavlinic. Stott said she had discussed the proposal with the two victims, and the risks of going to trial, and they had accepted it.

She said the only evidence would be the two men's testimony about events up to 15 years ago, that Shelton had not spoken to police and had no prior criminal record.

After the hearing, the victims said they would be prepared to testify at trial if the judge rejects it and Shelton goes to trial.

"It's been a long time coming," said one of the men, now 24, who noted that allegations of abuse have followed Shelton through other ministries in other states. "I know many of the victims, and I know they are happy with this too."

The other victim, now 29, said, "He's taken something for me I'll never get back...As long as he's admitted guilt and he's a registered sex offender, that he can't do this to others, that's really what I wanted."

Shelton declined to comment after the hearing. Bellows ordered a pre-sentence report, and set a sentencing hearing for Sept. 24, where he will decide whether to accept or reject the plea deal.

-- Tom Jackman

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/fairfax/minister-pleads-guilty-to-mole.html
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum

Tommy Shelton pledged guilty this morning to two counts of custodial indecent liberties with a minor in a Fairfax County, Virginia court room. The judge reportedly told Tommy that he may reject the plea agreement and sentence him to prison due to the nature of the offences. Tommy said he understood and entered two pleas of guilty, rendering all claims by his defenders useless. If you remember, they were claiming he was basically forced to plead guilty to AVOID prison. Sentencing will be on September 24.

Duane, thanks for the report but you could have left out the part I have bold texted. Also, no one claimed he was forced to do anything. He wasn't. He had a free choice. And he freely chose to plead guilty for whatever reasons, and now is guilty. What one person earlier explained and  posted was that "there was no other alternative which was acceptable" to him, and "this was the best deal offered" and that yes, he had accepted the plea bargain to avoid jail time. That part is true.

Tommy Shelton has accepted a plea bargain when there was no other alternative that was acceptable. First off, even if innocent (which he is innocent) he could very well be put in prison anyway, which we know he would never live through because of his serious heart condition. I doubt he would last a week in prison. It was a very difficult decision, but it was decided that the only thing they could do was accept the plea bargain with a guilty plea/put on sexual offender list. They were hoping to get a plea bargain that would be "no contest" since he is innocent of the charges, and not having his name on a sex-offender list but the prosecution would not agree to this.

The only way to stay out of prison was to say he was guilty and to allow his name be put on the list. How sad is this. No money, broken in health--only just wanting to be with his family. He is retirement age anyway and so this was the best deal offered.

But what you are leaving out, is this, which is also from the "they" and what "they were claiming":

Option number three would be to simply go to trial and allow the jury to consider the evidence. If he is confident in his innocence why not simply trust his future to the Lord and go to trial? If I was elderly and had a bad heart but knew I was innocent, there is NO WAY I would accept a plea bargain that would keep me out of prison but require that I lie about my guilt.

IF the plea agreement is, as presented by these individuals not a part of this case, it is interesting that no one has mentioned that this keeps the "victims" off the stand where their integrity and character could be defined for the jury to consider while rendering a verdict.

and this:

"
Interesting, from all. My opinion is that TS should plead innocent, but admit I don't know all. I do tend to think God's people need to walk forward in faith and never in fear. We may not always see what is ahead of us, but he always does, and is the best guide.

I myself thought the plea bargain the wrong choice, I still do, but it was not my choice. He has plead guilty in this case and that's all there is to that. According to the law he is guilty of the charges filed. No one has a right to proclaim his innocence now as he has admitted he was not and admitted that to his victims and the court.

The following was also posted here and is my belief:

I received information a short time ago that a plea agreement has been reached in the Tommy Shelton sexual abuse cases currently pending in Virginia. According to sources, Tommy Ray Shelton will appear in court on Monday, July 19 in Fairfax County, Virginia and plead guilty to two counts of Custodial Indecent Liberties with two minors. Under the terms of this agreement, he will face no prison time but will be required to register as a sex offender, and will also receive probation for a length of time to be determined by the court.

To be clear, this will be two pleas of guilty, rather that pleas of no contest

hmmm... I admit, just as I did before when the charges against Tommy were revealed that this is distressing (if true), very, but I also find it curious that you and so many here accusing 3abn, know, or claim to know, all about this, when those at 3abn, and those defending them know nothing about it, and the hearing hasn't taken place, nor have any news sources reported this.

As before, those who aren't involved or in the know (3abn or me ....)will just have to wait for the court documents and the news in order to know what the real facts are.

This i will say and do not apologize to either party. IF TS is not guilty and pleads guilty to avoid a trial, expense and a greater charge, I consider that a lie.

If he is guilty when he earlier claimed he was innocent. That is also a lie.

Bottom line? I hate child abuse, and I hate lies.

I welcomed a trial as the facts would be known, and doubt they will be now if what is reported is true...

Sadly though, this case  has nothing to do with Pickle's allegations against DS and 3ABN, or the lawsuit, and yet all  here in my opinion (yet to be proved) will keep trying to make it so..

It is also my belief that if he was innocent, and only plead guilty(lied) to avoid jail, and ends up getting sent to jail anyway due to that plea, well it is heartbreakingly ironic...  and that's all I can say about that... other than I hope all have gotten what they sought and can move on now to find inner peace and heal.

EDIT- to correct font only.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:27:31 PM by Cindy »

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum

Thank you. It appears Duane either left a lot out, or didn't get a good report. I will restate my opinion in light of this. I think the plea bargain was the wrong decision and the best course was to go to trial based on the evidence, but I guess we have to wait on the Judges decision to see what, if anything, happens next...

The former pastor of a Fairfax County church pleaded guilty Monday morning to molesting two boys who were members of his church in the 1990s, and Fairfax prosecutors agreed to a deal in which the man would spend no time in jail.

But Fairfax Circuit Court Judge Randy I. Bellows said he may not accept the deal, in which case the defendant, Tommy R. Shelton Jr., could withdraw his plea and take the case to another judge.

Shelton, 65, was the pastor of Community Church of God in the Dunn Loring area from 1995 to 2000. Authorities said two men came forward to Fairfax police in 2008 and alleged that Shelton sexually assaulted them in the 1990s.

Both victims were in the courtroom for Shelton's pleas to two felony counts of taking indecent liberties with a child under the adult's supervision. Each charge carriies a penalty of up to five years in prison. Both said afterward they approved the plea deal, even without jail time, as long as Shelton admitted his guilt and was placed on the sex offender registry.

One of the men testified at a May hearing, and Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Katherine E. Stott confirmed Monday, that Shelton had performed oral sex on him in 1995 or 1996, when he was 14. Shelton had been seeing the boy for counseling and piano lessons, Stott said, and told him that their various sexual activity was "the type of relationship a father and son had."

The other man testified in May that when he was 11, he and Shelton would go on bike rides, and Shelton would direct him into the woods and then fondle him. Stott said on one occasion, Shelton molested the boy in the kitchen of the Community Church of God.

Bellows, a former federal prosecutor, seemed skeptical of a plea bargain with no jail time. "I'm telling you all right now," the judge said, "I may ultimately reject this agreement."

Shelton has been free on bond, and Bellows said that without the plea agreement, "I would have little doubt about incarcerating the defendant pending sentencing." But prosecutors did not ask for Shelton's bond to be revoked, or for any jail sentence, so he allowed Shelton to remain free.

Bellows asked the prosecutor why she had agreed to the plea deal proposed by defense attorneys Kimberly Irving and Thomas Pavlinic. Stott said she had discussed the proposal with the two victims, and the risks of going to trial, and they had accepted it.

She said the only evidence would be the two men's testimony about events up to 15 years ago, that Shelton had not spoken to police and had no prior criminal record.

After the hearing, the victims said they would be prepared to testify at trial if the judge rejects it and Shelton goes to trial.

"It's been a long time coming," said one of the men, now 24, who noted that allegations of abuse have followed Shelton through other ministries in other states. "I know many of the victims, and I know they are happy with this too."

The other victim, now 29, said, "He's taken something for me I'll never get back...As long as he's admitted guilt and he's a registered sex offender, that he can't do this to others, that's really what I wanted."

Shelton declined to comment after the hearing. Bellows ordered a pre-sentence report, and set a sentencing hearing for Sept. 24, where he will decide whether to accept or reject the plea deal.

-- Tom Jackman

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/fairfax/minister-pleads-guilty-to-mole.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:50:55 AM by Cindy »

Pat Williams

She said the only evidence would be the two men's testimony about events up to 15 years ago, that Shelton had not spoken to police and had no prior criminal record....

Sad business, but I can't help but notice there does appear to be a difference in the report from the Washington post and the reports we got from Gailon Arthur Joy and Bob Pickle.

Re: BREAKING NEWS -- Plea agreement reached in Tommy Shelton Case

There were a pile of records, including medical records...state held all the aces and the joker!!! Not the kind of things you want in the public record and filling the minds of a jury of your peers with.

So there are medical records available for Tommy Shelton's victims?

"Bellows asked the prosecutor why she had agreed to the plea deal proposed by defense attorneys Kimberly Irving and Thomas Pavlinic. Stott said she had discussed the proposal with the two victims, and the risks of going to trial, and they had accepted it. She said the only evidence would be the two men's testimony about events up to 15 years ago"

Re: BREAKING NEWS -- Plea agreement reached in Tommy Shelton Case

Bob or Gailon--is it true that there are no medical records for any of Tommy Shelton's victims?

Gailon was talking about medical records for Tommy for when Brad and Valerie allegedly got Tommy to seek help after Rick allegedly came forward and said that Tommy had molested him.

"Bellows asked the prosecutor why she had agreed to the plea deal proposed by defense attorneys Kimberly Irving and Thomas Pavlinic. Stott said she had discussed the proposal with the two victims, and the risks of going to trial, and they had accepted it. She said the only evidence would be the two men's testimony about events up to 15 years ago"
[/quote]

princessdi

• Veteran Member

Yes, I think it was discussed that both sides had good reason for not wanting to go to trial, the time was definitely an issue.  I don't know why anyone would say that he plead to avoid prison time when that was not part of the the plea, they just reduced the charges to something of which they were sure he would get convicted.  Sad, sadb business for sure.  We will ahve to keep everyone involved in prayer.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

Thank you. It appears Duane either left a lot out, or didn't get a good report. I will restate my opinion in light of this. I think the plea bargain was the wrong decision and the best course was to go to trial based on the evidence, but I guess we have to wait on the Judges decision to see what, if anything, happens next...

- - - - - - - - - -
-- Tom Jackman

Cindy, do you have a special reason why you tell Duane that he has left something out or gave a bad report when he is posting exactly what Crime reporter Tom Jackman wrote in the Washington Post? Why don't you rather take up the issue with the Washington Post?

Are you leaving the obvious out on purpose?

Adam

• Veteran Member

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0710/756709.html

Ex-pastor Pleads to Molestation; Judge Wants Jail
FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) - The former pastor of a Fairfax County (web | news) church has pleaded guilty to molesting two boys in the 1990s but a judge may reject the deal it does not call for any jail time.
Tommy R. Shelton Jr. pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of taking indecent liberties with a child. Shelton would not serve jail time but would be required to register as a sex offender.

At the plea hearing, Judge Randy Bellows said he may reject the deal as too lenient. If that happens, Shelton could withdraw his plea and the case would go to trial.

ABC 7 Talkback:
Click Here to Comment on this Story

Shelton, 65, now of Marion, Ky., was pastor of the Community Church of God in Dunn Loring from 1995 to 2000.
---
Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:15:20 PM by samuelthomas »
Billy Graham

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member

Sam I was hoping you would be there today, but I guess that just shows you are a coward.

By the way, I will NOT answer any questions about what happened today. Those questions need to be directed to my attorney(s).
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

mrst53

Alex, I am sure today must have been very difficult for you, thinking you could begin to put some of this behind you, and now you have to wait another month. Please be strong and know that I am praying for you.

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member

Thank you. I am still confident that this will be the course of action. We will see what Judge Bellows decides on the 24th of September.
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

Harley

Yes, I think it was discussed that both sides had good reason for not wanting to go to trial, the time was definitely an issue.  I don't know why anyone would say that he plead to avoid prison time when that was not part of the the plea, they just reduced the charges to something of which they were sure he would get convicted.  Sad, sadb business for sure.  We will ahve to keep everyone involved in prayer.

I am new here too and I also  feel so sad about all of this. I think we need to pray for everyone too because Jesus wants us to love all and try to help everyone. We even need to try and help the bad ones, because Christ helped us all when we were all bad and lost too saying I have not come to condemn but to save.

I also think we need to read all, and ask questions beyond what is said because there is much we don't know and need to figure out and that isn't made known yet.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, because I did read a news article here about the charges being reduced because what the person had to say didn't warrant that, but I also read the Washington Post about the plea bargain. It was posted here a couple of times now. This is what the  Washington Post said today:"Fairfax prosecutors agreed to a deal in which the man would spend no time in jail."You just said "I don't know why anyone would say that he plead to avoid prison time when that was not part of the the plea" . Maybe you could consider readings things before saying things like that? It would help, and not cause people to be confused. Unless you are saying that because you know the newspaper is wrong? I am sorry if that is what you are saying  but this is all really confusing to me because of what you said and I don't want anyone to say the wrong thing. I do want to know the right thing. :)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 06:25:44 PM by Harley »

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member

Yes, I think it was discussed that both sides had good reason for not wanting to go to trial, the time was definitely an issue.  I don't know why anyone would say that he plead to avoid prison time when that was not part of the the plea, they just reduced the charges to something of which they were sure he would get convicted.  Sad, sadb business for sure.  We will ahve to keep everyone involved in prayer.

I am new here too and I also  feel so sad about all of this. I think we need to pray for everyone too because Jesus wants us to love all and try to help everyone. We even need to try and help the bad ones, because Christ helped us all when we were all bad and lost too saying I have not come to condemn but to save.

I also think we need to read all, and ask questions beyond what is said because there is much we don't know and need to figure out and that isn't made known yet.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, because I did read a news article here about the charges being reduced because what the person had to say didn't warrant that, but I also read the Washington Post about the plea bargain. It was posted here a couple of times now. This is what the  Washington Post said today:"Fairfax prosecutors agreed to a deal in which the man would spend no time in jail."You just said "I don't know why anyone would say that he plead to avoid prison time when that was not part of the the plea" . Maybe you could consider readings things before saying things like that? It would help, and not cause people to be confused. Unless you are saying that because you know the newspaper is wrong? I am sorry if that is what you are saying  but this is all really confusing to me because of what you said and I don't want anyone to say the wrong thing. I do want to know the right thing. :)

Possibly I can clarify this. Yes, it was part of the plea (no prison time) you are correct Harley.  Let me also make one thing CRYSTAL clear. The defense is the one who asked for and proposed the plea deal as it now stands. The prosecution consulted with us and we accepted. I am limited on what I can discuss, but if you read the news report as Harley pointed out it clearly states that.

-- Tom Jackman

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/fairfax/minister-pleads-guilty-to-
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 06:43:12 PM by Alex Walker »
Alex L. Walker

Harley

It was kind of you to explain. Thank you, Alex Walker. :)

I also think we need to read all, and ask questions beyond what is said because there is much we don't know and need to figure out and that isn't made known yet.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, because I did read a news article here about the charges being reduced because what the person had to say didn't warrant that, but I also read the Washington Post about the plea bargain. It was posted here a couple of times now. This is what the  Washington Post said today:"Fairfax prosecutors agreed to a deal in which the man would spend no time in jail."You just said "I don't know why anyone would say that he plead to avoid prison time when that was not part of the the plea" . Maybe you could consider readings things before saying things like that? It would help, and not cause people to be confused. Unless you are saying that because you know the newspaper is wrong? I am sorry if that is what you are saying  but this is all really confusing to me because of what you said and I don't want anyone to say the wrong thing. I do want to know the right thing. :)

Possibly I can clarify this. Yes, it was part of the plea (no prison time) you are correct Harley.  Let me also make one thing CRYSTAL clear. The defense is the one who asked for and proposed the plea deal as it now stands. The prosecution consulted with us and we accepted. I am limited on what I can discuss, but if you read the news report as Harley pointed out it clearly states that.

-- Tom Jackman

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/fairfax/minister-pleads-guilty-to-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up