Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ben Carson  (Read 10622 times)

Fran

• Veteran Member
Ben Carson
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »

Ben Carson Story Moves to TV Feb. 7

http://www.adventistreview.org/article.php?id=2357

Oscar-winning actor Cuba Gooding, Jr. to portray Adventist surgeon.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Ben Carson
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »

Did anyone watch the movie?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

christined

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »

We, my husband and I, watched the movie.  I was disappointed that it made no mention of Dr. Carson's religious affiliation, but did say that he prayed before the surgeries, and that faith was important in his life.  There was no way to tell that he or his family were SDA.  It told his story well.  Was there another Gifted Hands movie out there that told his story as an Adventist?  I recall seeing one at sometime in the past.

mfc10

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:30:31 PM »

With all the heavy jewelry wearing by his wife & mother characters, plus in the congregation during the church scenes, it was evident that the movie's producers, etc., did little research into SDAs. 

Ah well. It was a very good movie overall.   :purr:

Maggie C.

judibug61

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:18:08 AM »

Dr Carson along with the group Take 6 entertained at Dr. Schullers Crystal Cathedral last night as a fund raiser for the Drug/Alcohol program ran by Adventists in Loma Linda CA........It seems that playing in the Devils playground is not of any concern for most Adventists today......How could God bless this fundraiser for this program when he is asked to bless it in the crystal cathedral of Dr. Robert Schuller..................................Sad days we are living.....The Lord is surely about to come........................
judibug

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »

Dr Carson along with the group Take 6 entertained at Dr. Schullers Crystal Cathedral last night as a fund raiser for the Drug/Alcohol program ran by Adventists in Loma Linda CA........It seems that playing in the Devils playground is not of any concern for most Adventists today......How could God bless this fundraiser for this program when he is asked to bless it in the crystal cathedral of Dr. Robert Schuller..................................Sad days we are living.....The Lord is surely about to come........................

Sometimes I fear our denomination is as arrogant and blind and bigoted as the Jews were in Christ's day.. and we can be cut off just as completely.

It seems we forget that it is not the church which saves, it is Jesus, and God will bless those who love him and work to heal those He loves regardless of our opinions.

I believe many will be surprised at who goes home with Christ and who does not when he returns.

I am also confident that He can save anyone anywhere, and that the Holy Spirit can woo and find and reach those with open hearts even from or within the Crystal Cathedral, just as so many were reached and saved throughout the dark ages, and throughout this earth's history.

..ian
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:28:30 AM by Ian »

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »

Wow!  I forgot all about this thread!  LOL!!  I noted that as well.  It was not a problem for me, as it was a story about him being a doctor and a christian.   It conveyed this very well.   Mentioning the church would have been alright, how I believe the church or at least most memebers were looking for some positive PR from the movie.  That was not the purpose of the movie.   

Guess we had better try and put to use those media centers to do our own PR package........ 
:dunno:

We, my husband and I, watched the movie.  I was disappointed that it made no mention of Dr. Carson's religious affiliation, but did say that he prayed before the surgeries, and that faith was important in his life.  There was no way to tell that he or his family were SDA.  It told his story well.  Was there another Gifted Hands movie out there that told his story as an Adventist?  I recall seeing one at sometime in the past.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »

Well said, Ian!!!   

Sometimes I fear our denomination is as arrogant and blind and bigoted as the Jews were in Christ's day.. and we can be cut off just as completely.

It seems we forget that it is not the church which saves, it is Jesus, and God will bless those who love him and work to heal those He loves regardless of our opinions.

I believe many will be surprised at who goes home with Christ and who does not when he returns.

I am also confident that He can save anyone anywhere, and that the Holy Spirit can woo and find and reach those with open hearts even from or within the Crystal Cathedral, just as so many were reached and saved throughout the dark ages, and throughout this earth's history.

..ian

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »

If Schuller invited me, I might take him up on his invitation. But it is not arrogant or blind or bigoted of me to think that Schuller was worse than wrong when he wrote Christianity Today and told them that one of the worst things that had been done in the name of the Christian religion was to make man aware of his sinful condition.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

Actually, Bob you are wrong and he is right.  His job is as a witness to lead others to Christ, it is the job of God to draw us, God's law to show us where we fall short, the Holy Spirit to convict us, and Jesus has already done His job as redeeming us. 

So you see, he was right.  It is not our job to point out any wrongs, or anywhere else, but to Jesus Christ, He will take care of the rest.  We often get it confused, in our zeal to evangelize.  Mostly out of love.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:11:17 AM »

Di,

Did John the Baptist get it wrong when he made the people and leaders and Herod aware of their sinful condition?

Did Elijah get it wrong when he made Ahab aware that it was Ahab, not Elijah, that troubled Israel?

Jesus was crucified because people couldn't stand the light which made them aware that their own works were evil.

I cannot see how you can find any example in Scripture of anyone who preached the gospel while not making their hearers aware of their sinful condition.

Felix trembled as Paul spoke of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »

"Let some of the workers attend religious gatherings in other churches and, as there is opportunity, take part in them. Jesus when only twelve years old went into the school of the priests and rabbis at the temple and asked questions. In this temple school, studies were conducted daily, somewhat as we conduct Bible studies. Jesus asked questions as a learner, but His questions furnished new matter for those learned priests to think upon. Similar work might be done today. Judicious young men should be encouraged to attend the meetings of the Young Men's Christian Association, not for the sake of contention, but to search the Scriptures with them and suggest helpful questions" (6T 74, 75).

Anyone here followed this counsel?

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 08:40:57 AM »

How could God bless Paul when he preached in forums where idols were worshipped? How could God bless Jesus when he consorted with sinners? How could God bless Joseph when he worked for another god? How could God bless the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists when it meets every five years in sports stadiums and venues where rock concerts are held?

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »

An SDA theologian of note told me of an experience where he was doing door-to-door evangelism. A gentleman invited him in and before long they came to the part where he told the man where he was doctrinally wrong. He was feeling quite confident about the texts and evidence he was producing to show the man where he was wrong, when the man got up and showed him to the door. The man told him "You would make a great attorney for your faith, but you are are a very poor witness."

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:24:54 AM »

Di,

Did John the Baptist get it wrong when he made the people and leaders and Herod aware of their sinful condition?

Did Elijah get it wrong when he made Ahab aware that it was Ahab, not Elijah, that troubled Israel?

Jesus was crucified because people couldn't stand the light which made them aware that their own works were evil.

I cannot see how you can find any example in Scripture of anyone who preached the gospel while not making their hearers aware of their sinful condition.

Felix trembled as Paul spoke of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come.

It is the truth of the Father, as written in His word and revealed by His Son and His Holy Spirit which makes us aware of our sinful condition and our need of Him...

John the Baptist was preparing the way for Christ, preaching repentance and reformation to those within his own church who already knew and taught God's law and prophesies/testimonies, but didn't live them or understand them. He was not WITNESSING or doing outreach to those in the world--outside of his Church. IOW: his message was to those who already proclaimed they were God's people and knew of and were saved by the gospel as delivered and taught through Abraham and Moses...

Elijah was a prophet sent by God and dealing with Ahab one on one..

Jesus went about doing good, healing, and having "compassion on those who were like sheep without a shepherd", making his Father and the truth known. Crowds were then drawn to, flocked to and followed him, and then he could teach them more, as in the sermon on the mount and his words to his disciples...

His stinging rebukes were a response to those in leadership who approached him critically, stalking him even, and trying to trap him, not to those he was reaching out to and had come to save. He did not come to condemn. The world was already condemned. He came to save.

Jesus was crucified not because they took his life but because he was sent and given by the Father and willingly, out of love, lived here as our example, then took our sins upon himself and laid down his life to save us.

Felix trembled at the contrast between the truth Paul spoke of and himself, this was due to the Holy Spirit and his own conscience, not because Paul was pointing out his sins and condemning him...

Did the Lord get it wrong when he addressed Israel's immediate physical need first leading them out of the slavery and bondage of Israel, and feeding them, and becoming their physical deliverer?

When he only afterword made covenant with them and made his law known so they could see their own sins and recognize their own need of a spiritual deliverer as well, and learn to trust and depend on him rather than on their own works?

When he then daily led them through the wilderness of sin, caring for them, and teaching them of His love, mercy, grace and longsuffering toward them? Teaching them of His righteous judgments, involving both curses and blessings, and His very character of love so they could understand and follow him in love to enter the promised land and the inheritance he promised them?

I don't think so.

Act 3:
22     For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
23    And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

1Cr 10:
1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Those who sing the song of Moses and of the Lamb, will not be those who can enumerate the sins of others. They will be those who became aware of their own sinful condition and were redeemed. Those who both know, and who have made Jesus known. They will be those who know and understand that song is twofold. It is both a song of physical salvation as well as a song of spiritual salvation because God meets all our needs. That song is their personal testimony, the song of their very own experience which brings glory to God. One they have passed on to others and taught by word AND EXAMPLE, as their characters and methods reflect His.

Visiting the imprisoned, feeding the hungry, and clothing the naked, means doing so both physically and spiritually, that is what Jesus did. These are the fruits of those who have faith and those who do not.  And is the difference between the sheep and goats as defined by Jesus. Pointing at others and making those around us aware of their sinful condition is not mentioned... but it certainly seems to make some feel better about themselves.

..ian

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:57:10 AM by Ian »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up