Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Crystal Cathedral  (Read 7947 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Crystal Cathedral
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »

I am aghast at the audacity of the Schullers, but then this is truly the mentality of televangelists at large. "By beholding we become changed" and as they behold the worshipers who hold them up on a pedestal, they end up seeing themselves as their worshipers see them.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bankrupt-church-wants-donations-pastor-sick-wife-ferried-182015520.html

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
Re: Crystal Cathedral
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »

I read somewhere that the Adventist church was considering purchasing the cathedral.  Anyone know if that is true?

Johann

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »

I am aghast at the audacity of the Schullers, but then this is truly the mentality of televangelists at large. - - -

There is a lot of money at stake and therefore important to impress on the donors they are really advancing the gospel. And therefore they wok hard on getting genuine ministry to join their force.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »

One of my friends out here who pastors a church in OC was looking into it, but 50 million is a lot to try raising in a poor economy. It fell thru rather quickly.

I read somewhere that the Adventist church was considering purchasing the cathedral.  Anyone know if that is true?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:35:33 AM »

The power of positive thinking!

Couldn't the Schullers just think positively, and make all the debts and lawsuits go away?

It just doesn't work that way.

Johann

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »

I was just watching a part of the Dr. Phil show. Is he a televangelist? We have known some of his "victims".

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »

No, Pastor Johann, he is not a televangelist, neither has he ever claimed to be.......

I was just watching a part of the Dr. Phil show. Is he a televangelist? We have known some of his "victims".
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

christian

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »

I think we should ask all the adventist people to get together and donate so that we can buy the Crystal Cathedral. Why, because it will enhance the image of the Adventist Church and bring fame and name recogintion to the church. We could show how the lord is blessing us and at the same time spread the gospel. Plus, it would put us more inline with the Jews of old who had the temple which was a wonder of the world.

No, Pastor Johann, he is not a televangelist, neither has he ever claimed to be.......

Johann

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »

There are times when he talks like one!

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »

Christian, you know I was just about to PM you to see if you were alright....

It is a beautiful place.  There is a powder room donated by someone just for the ladies that is just awesome.  They have a school, halls(and I believe a smaller chapel) they rent out for weddings, and conference rooms rented out to only non profit agencies for a very nominal fee.  I believe one of the conference rented it out for their convocation a couple of times.

I think we should ask all the adventist people to get together and donate so that we can buy the Crystal Cathedral. Why, because it will enhance the image of the Adventist Church and bring fame and name recogintion to the church. We could show how the lord is blessing us and at the same time spread the gospel. Plus, it would put us more inline with the Jews of old who had the temple which was a wonder of the world.

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »

A big AMEN to the brother!!! Poor Jesus may have had a hillside as his cathedral and the sky as his crystal ceiling, but think how much greater his ministry would have been had he only possessed the intellect, education and divine inspiration of someone like Robert Schuller. Sadly, Jesus didn't realize that he could show he had Jesus blessing on his ministry by buying the temple and impressing the world with his Christian grandeur. Oh well, he is up in heaven now, and hopefully he's learning a thing or two about how thing should really work by watching those who actually have the blessing of Jesus as evidenced by their vast financial success and beautiful temples, unlike poor deluded Jesus who didn't have any of that.

christian

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »

Princess, murcielago, I see you are leaning my dry humor. In anycase it is Crystal Clear that the design is so foreign to the true work of God. Most of the work done here in the name of God is only for self glorification. I remember against the wishes of the majority of people our pastor at the time put billboards up with his picture on it all over town. We had the crusade and hardly no one showed up. All I could think of is the pastor riding around town and looking at each billboard with his name and picture on it. ----

A big AMEN to the brother!!! Poor Jesus may have had a hillside as his cathedral and the sky as his crystal ceiling, but think how much greater his ministry would have been had he only possessed the intellect, education and divine inspiration of someone like Robert Schuller. Sadly, Jesus didn't realize that he could show he had Jesus blessing on his ministry by buying the temple and impressing the world with his Christian grandeur. Oh well, he is up in heaven now, and hopefully he's learning a thing or two about how thing should really work by watching those who actually have the blessing of Jesus as evidenced by their vast financial success and beautiful temples, unlike poor deluded Jesus who didn't have any of that.

Johann

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »

What has happened to the Crystal Cathedral?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »

They no longer own the church.  They are renting it.  I'm not sure exactly what happened.  It is a beautiful place.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »

They no longer own the church.  They are renting it.  I'm not sure exactly what happened.  It is a beautiful place.
The beauty of a building is irrelevant to God's work. It is the beauty of the hearts of his people that matters.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up