Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sue SDA Conference President Ken Denslow for Child Abuse Cover-up?  (Read 12372 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

Recent information has indicated that 3ABN and Danny Shelton may soon be sued for cover-up of child abuse committed by Tommy Shelton, Danny Shelton's brother and former 3ABN employee.  Apparently 3ABN and Danny Shelton have not been able to agree on a settlement with the victims.

The Illinois Conference of Seventh-day Adventists website lists Kenneth A. Denslow as "President-- Spiritual and administrative leader for the Illinois Conference".

Kenneth Denslow is also a long time board member of 3ABN, and it appears that the 3ABN Board of Directors may also be included in the lawsuit.

Do you think that he should be a part of the proceedings?

Law firms involved are the following:     

http://andersonadvocates.com/default.aspx

http://www.manlystewart.com/victims/news.php

"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Sue SDA Conference President Ken Denslow for Child Abuse Cover-up?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »

That is a thought, Artiste.  But will GC allow him to continue to be CP if he his actions, or lack thereof, caused the church to be sued?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »

GC would have little recourse since a conference pres is elected by the conference constituency, not the GC.

GC will likely hope that 3ABN will pay to defend the five SDA conference or union workers that are members of the 3ABN board.

As to whether Denslow should be included in any lawsuit...my vote would be that he holds far greater liability than most for ignoring the issues at 3ABN. BJ Christiansen, a prior conference president, clearly documented issues at 3ABN and informed Union, Division and General Conference executives of the issues. It was largely the intervention of Garwin Mc Neilus that prevented appropriate intervention in the past and it would be appropriate to include him in any litigation.

Most of the other church employees were "sheep" of little serious concern one way or the other that are about to participate in a great awakening!!! While they sought recognition and favor they are about to acheive NOTORIETY for their well defined ignorance.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

mrst53

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »

I am not sure how innocent anyone was in ignoring what went on with Tommy and any kids at 3ABN. Most people just turn a blind eye and tell themselves they really didn't see what they thought they saw, but they talk amoung themselves. Those at the school and church where the molestations took place,  both in Illinois and in Virginia are also not innocent, no matter what they tell themselves. They had suspicions,but they did nothing. No one wants to believe a Pastor would do something like this, and certainly not "our Pastor". It happens in other churches, not ours.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »

I am not sure how innocent anyone was in ignoring what went on with Tommy and any kids at 3ABN. Most people just turn a blind eye and tell themselves they really didn't see what they thought they saw, but they talk amoung themselves. Those at the school and church where the molestations took place,  both in Illinois and in Virginia are also not innocent, no matter what they tell themselves. They had suspicions,but they did nothing. No one wants to believe a Pastor would do something like this, and certainly not "our Pastor". It happens in other churches, not ours.

Tommy Ray Shelton has never been a Seventh-day Adventist nor has he been a SDA Pastor. TRS is a problem for us because DLS continued to hide the truth, protect and provide economic security for TRS utilizing the DLS position and resources (including other staff such as Brad Walker - wife of TRS's daughter and also a none-SDA) at 3ABN to acheive a history of protection, intervention and witness intimidation over several decades rather than allow TRS from facing the consequences of his actions. The board has aided and abated in this effort when the evidence clearly show they knew or should have known what TRS was guilty of. And continue to allow DLS the use of 3ABN resources to aide and abet the notorious history rather than caste both miscreants to their fate... and now they must pay the piper!!!

Nepotism has it's costs!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUREporter

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »

MrsT, this has been one of my montras for a years now also.  I cant' figure out for the life of me why we, as SDAs, believe we are immune to the type of exposure the RCC got for hising abuse within itheir ranks.

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 08:52:54 AM »

princess di, it's not just you all at the SDA. It happens in all churches.  We just don't WANT to believe that a Pastor or a Deacon or a Counselor would do such a despicable act.. so we just try to ignore it or we say something to someone else, to see if what we are seeing is true We don't want to ruin someone's life.

I was in a Baptist Church and I found out the Preacher was lying about some things. I went to several of the deacons. They refused to believe me. The Preacher was making the treasurer buy things and fudge the budget. I knew all this and tried to get the deacons to believe me, but this Preacher was like a used car salesman and he everyone wrapped around his little finger.  When he finally chose to leave- the church was a hundred thousand dollars in debt- besides the mortgage. The IRS was even looking into proscecuting the treasurer. By this time, I had left the church, because I could no longer remain under his preaching. Later the deacons appologized to me and told me they wished they had listened to me. What a mess. So as you see, it's just not your church and it's just molestations. People don't want to believe anything bad about their Pastors.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »

I know this part of the story well. Now it didn't get as far as the IRS at my church, we have the conference level to cushion before it gets that far.  however, the one at my church was able to sucessfully convince many of our members to move with him to the next church......Yep! you heard right, they moved him, not fired  him.  He also convince his merry little band that the only reason he was moved was because a small, but apparently extremely powerful group of us wen tot he conference office because we didn't like him...........sigh..............some of these people were new to the church or long time members who were unfamiliar with the way things work and how the church moves pastors every 3-5 years, good, bad, or indifferent..............sigh....it was simply horrific.

I velieve that God is going to hold us responsible for those things which we knew to be wrong and did nothing.  That is a part of being a good steward.

princess di, it's not just you all at the SDA. It happens in all churches.  We just don't WANT to believe that a Pastor or a Deacon or a Counselor would do such a despicable act.. so we just try to ignore it or we say something to someone else, to see if what we are seeing is true We don't want to ruin someone's life.

I was in a Baptist Church and I found out the Preacher was lying about some things. I went to several of the deacons. They refused to believe me. The Preacher was making the treasurer buy things and fudge the budget. I knew all this and tried to get the deacons to believe me, but this Preacher was like a used car salesman and he everyone wrapped around his little finger.   When he finally chose to leave- the church was a hundred thousand dollars in debt- besides the mortgage. The IRS was even looking into proscecuting the treasurer. By this time, I had left the church, because I could no longer remain under his preaching. Later the deacons appologized to me and told me they wished they had listened to me. What a mess. So as you see, it's just not your church and it's just molestations. People don't want to believe anything bad about their Pastors.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »

It's more than frustrating to realize that these kind of things happen in the SDA church as well as in secular situations.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »

Ok?  I think it is why many members close their eyes when it happens, they dont' want to admit that it is happening in our churches.

It's more than frustrating to realize that these kind of things happen in the SDA church as well as in secular situations.

childoftheking

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:12:43 AM »

Do we have so much pride because we can beat others over the head with doctrine and prove them wrong that we cannot humble ourselves and admit that we are sinners in need of a Savior and that yes, abuse can and does happen in our churches? Are we as dry as the hills of Gilboa when it comes to lack of compassion? Is there already a false revival that is based on elated feelings and satisfaction in gaining the favor of and acceptence by the world and nominal Christianity? Does not every true revival start with true repentance and true humility?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »

You betcha!

Do we have so much pride because we can beat others over the head with doctrine and prove them wrong that we cannot humble ourselves and admit that we are sinners in need of a Savior and that yes, abuse can and does happen in our churches? Are we as dry as the hills of Gilboa when it comes to lack of compassion? Is there already a false revival that is based on elated feelings and satisfaction in gaining the favor of and acceptence by the world and nominal Christianity? Does not every true revival start with true repentance and true humility?

Johann

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »

Ok?  I think it is why many members close their eyes when it happens, they dont' want to admit that it is happening in our churches.

??? ???

Johann

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

Ken Denslow has just been elected assistant to the President of the North American Division, so he might no longer be a member of the 3ABN board of directors.

PS. I should have said "appointed" and not elected.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:42:05 PM by Johann »

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »

Ken Denslow has just been elected assistant to the President of the North American Division, so he might no longer be a member of the 3ABN board of directors.

PS. I should have said "appointed" and not elected.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: That may not save his hind end from the inevitable.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up