Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ASI and 3ABN  (Read 12163 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
ASI and 3ABN
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

The 3ABN website, in promoting their broadcasting of the August ASI meetings, contains the following (emphasis added):

“ASI and 3ABN have been partners since 1984,” says Jim Gilley, 3ABN president and CEO. “Both have contributed to each other’s growth, although ASI has been around a number of years before. Its explosion in growth is very much tied to the exposure they have received on 3ABN.

Do all agree that the growth ASI has had, in the last, say 10 to 15 years, is largely due to 3ABN exposure?
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Johann

Re: ASI and 3ABN
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »

What kind of exposure? Exposed to whom?

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:44:45 PM »

I would agree that this is a factual statement.

Johann

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:26:45 AM »

They tell the story that at first ASI were not interested in 3ABN. Danny and Linda went to an ASI convention to tell their story, but there was no time on the program. The day there was to be a tour turned out to be rainy so they had to cancel the tour. Then they gave Danny and Linda the opportunity to tell their story and that way they gained at interest in 3ABN.  That was the beginning, as far as I recall the story as told in one of the books.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »

“... although ASI has been around a number of years before. ...

"A number of years." How far can we stretch that? "3ABN is headquartered in the U.S.A., although the U.S.A. has been around a number of years before." Anyone have trouble with that wording?

ASI was founded in 1947, and 3ABN was founded in 1985.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »

Has anyone questioned the fundamental statement: "Explosion in [ASI] growth..." as I understand that this premise my be fictional...any facts, numbers or other comments?

I can certainly tell you that ASI in New England has most certainly faded over the past decade and a half.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter, A tea Party Adventist

The 3ABN website, in promoting their broadcasting of the August ASI meetings, contains the following (emphasis added):

“ASI and 3ABN have been partners since 1984,” says Jim Gilley, 3ABN president and CEO. “Both have contributed to each other’s growth, although ASI has been around a number of years before. Its explosion in growth is very much tied to the exposure they have received on 3ABN.

Do all agree that the growth ASI has had, in the last, say 10 to 15 years, is largely due to 3ABN exposure?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:22:16 AM »

I do know of someone that ASI refused membership to, after they blew the whistle on Danny Shelton's cover up of the child molestation allegations against Tommy. I know of no efforts to make right that egregious breach of Christian ethics.

Nosir Myzing

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »

I do know of someone that ASI refused membership to, after they blew the whistle on Danny Shelton's cover up of the child molestation allegations against Tommy. I know of no efforts to make right that egregious breach of Christian ethics.

Pickle has brought this up so many times... that it is obvious it sticks in his craw. His " I do know of someone" is himself.  He has applied more than once.... and never been accepted... 

"There are none so blind as those who refuse to see... " The good news is that Jesus can fix that problem as long as He is asked and then allowed to...

Open ASI letter in regard to "Linda Shelton's representatives: Pickle, Joy, and Matthews for those who are unacquainted with it:
January 2007 - Why ASI Chose to withdraw from Discussions

Edited to remove inappropriate content -- please see previous red hat moderator warning.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:54:17 PM by Artiste »

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

Open ASI letter in regard to "Linda Shelton's representatives: Pickle, Joy, and Matthews for those who are unacquainted with it:

Hey, Sirmizer, care to answer three simple questions? Or will you adamantly refuse to like you did over here: http://www.adventtalk.com/forums/index.php/topic,2109.msg32950.html#msg32950?

1. Why did Harold Lance refuse to allow the ASI investigation to look into the child molestation allegations against Tommy, when Mark Finley had understood that that was one of the issues that 3ABN would investigate?

2. Why did Harold Lance blame us for trying to expand the investigation, when he was trying to narrow the investigation from what it was supposed to cover, according to what Mark Finley and others understood?

3. Why did Harold Lance appear to blame the breakdown in part on a failure by Linda to communicate, when (a) Danny, Walt, and ASI failed to communicate to us for 10 weeks that 3ABN had voted to restrict the investigation to just the Linda issues, and (b) Harold had purposely ignored a question I asked him?

I had asked Harold, I think more than once, if the investigation was going to be restricted to just the Linda issues, would issues related to the evidence against Linda be themselves excluded from investigation. After his statement was issued, I asked him about why he hadn't answered my question, and he told me, "I ignored that question." Why? Because he wanted an agreement on the procedures to be used during the investigation before discussing what procedures to use regarding the evidence against Linda. That answer didn't make sense to me then, and it still doesn't.

That's how I remember it, 4 1/2 years later. I still am of the opinion that it was wrong, uncharitable, and unchristian to accuse Linda of failing to communicate when Danny, Walt, 3ABN, Harold, and ASI had all failed to communicate.

By the way, Sirmizer, regarding your first paragraph, you have your facts wrong ... again.

Nosir Myzing

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »

Pickle has brought this up so many times... that it is obvious it sticks in his craw. His " I do know of someone" is himself.  He has applied more than once.... and never been accepted... 

"There are none so blind as those who refuse to see... " The good news is that Jesus can fix that problem as long as He is asked and then allowed to...

Edited to remove inappropriate content -- please see previous red hat moderator warning.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:54:17 PM by Artiste

Its Sabbath-- so please be blessed.. :)

Edited -- see Forum Rule #1
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:31:01 PM by Artiste »

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

It is my opinion that 3ABN was very instrumental in helping to bring ASI from an largely obscure organization, except among the fringe groups, to a well-known mainstream organization. In fact, I think that for most people 3ABN and ASI are virtually synonymous.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »

Hey, Sirmizer, care to answer three simple questions? Or will you adamantly refuse to like you did over here: http://www.adventtalk.com/forums/index.php/topic,2109.msg32950.html#msg32950?

1. Why did Harold Lance refuse to allow the ASI investigation to look into the child molestation allegations against Tommy, when Mark Finley had understood that that was one of the issues that 3ABN would investigate?

2. Why did Harold Lance blame us for trying to expand the investigation, when he was trying to narrow the investigation from what it was supposed to cover, according to what Mark Finley and others understood?

3. Why did Harold Lance appear to blame the breakdown in part on a failure by Linda to communicate, when (a) Danny, Walt, and ASI failed to communicate to us for 10 weeks that 3ABN had voted to restrict the investigation to just the Linda issues, and (b) Harold had purposely ignored a question I asked him?

I had asked Harold, I think more than once, if the investigation was going to be restricted to just the Linda issues, would issues related to the evidence against Linda be themselves excluded from investigation. After his statement was issued, I asked him about why he hadn't answered my question, and he told me, "I ignored that question." Why? Because he wanted an agreement on the procedures to be used during the investigation before discussing what procedures to use regarding the evidence against Linda. That answer didn't make sense to me then, and it still doesn't.

That's how I remember it, 4 1/2 years later. I still am of the opinion that it was wrong, uncharitable, and unchristian to accuse Linda of failing to communicate when Danny, Walt, 3ABN, Harold, and ASI had all failed to communicate.

By the way, Sirmizer, regarding your first paragraph, you have your facts wrong ... again.

Sirmizer,

So are you going to take forever to answer these questions, like how you took so long to admit that Remnant paid Danny for sales to 3ABN of Danny's booklets published by Pacific Press, booklets Remnant didn't even stock?

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 06:29:12 AM »

It is my opinion that 3ABN was very instrumental in helping to bring ASI from an largely obscure organization, except among the fringe groups, to a well-known mainstream organization. In fact, I think that for most people 3ABN and ASI are virtually synonymous.

And if so obscure, has it indeed grown to any great prominence beyond it's annual coverage by 3ABN?

Has it's budget grown in tandem with 3ABN's?

And has the annual attendance skyrocketed?

And is the leadership elected by a democratic process? And if so, how?

And has the ASI Missions Board, Inc become other than an ultra-conservative "SMALL" and self-appointed SDA businessman's club with serious political impact upon the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists?   And is the 3ABN board a similar "club"?

And does ASI make or break independant ministries with impunity? And does 3ABN try to do the same?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

I don't know about it's budget or board, but mainstream organization have become a staple in the exhibit hall at the annual convention, and local church conferences have become very active in the local chapters. I do think that much of this is due to 3ABN making it so well known through coverage of the annual convention and consistent featuring of ASI members and organizations. In shirt, I see 3ABN as the marketing and publicity arm of ASI.

And if so obscure, has it indeed grown to any great prominence beyond it's annual coverage by 3ABN?

Has it's budget grown in tandem with 3ABN's?

And has the annual attendance skyrocketed?

And is the leadership elected by a democratic process? And if so, how?

And has the ASI Missions Board, Inc become other than an ultra-conservative "SMALL" and self-appointed SDA businessman's club with serious political impact upon the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists?   And is the 3ABN board a similar "club"?

And does ASI make or break independant ministries with impunity? And does 3ABN try to do the same?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

How long have conference officials been regularly attending ASI conventions?

I recall a convention in particular at which conference officials did attend, even though it meant traveling a distance. If conventions are always held in August, then the year would have been either 1988 or 1989. (Something a little extraordinary happened at that convention which makes it stand out.)

Would 3ABN have had anything to do with ASI being attended by conference officials at that early date, so soon after their launching?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up