Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SNAP to appear at the Community Church of God in Dunnloring, Va. tomorrow.  (Read 80545 times)

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
Re: SNAP to appear at the Community Church of God in Dunnloring, Va. tomorrow.
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 01:52:04 PM »

I am NOT going to a counselor. That would be like slapping God in the face. I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions. Not another word on the subject.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »

I am NOT going to a counselor. That would be like slapping God in the face. I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions. Not another word on the subject.
:goodpost:
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »

Kinda like going to a pastor for spiritual help.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »

Actually.no, its not the same at all.
Duane Clem

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »

How would it be different? A counselor is either an educated or self-proclaimed expert on emotional matters, and a pastor is either an educated or self-proclaimed expert on spiritual matters. They both presume to guide a person in decisions for their lives, in their respective areas. People entrust themselves to both, yet both are just people. I see no difference.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:05 PM »

How would it be different? A counselor is either an educated or self-proclaimed expert on emotional matters, and a pastor is either an educated or self-proclaimed expert on spiritual matters. They both presume to guide a person in decisions for their lives, in their respective areas. People entrust themselves to both, yet both are just people. I see no difference.

ROFL!!!! Educated? Pleasssssssssseeeeeeeee. How can you be an "expert" on something you have never experienced?

That is the same as a pastor saying he's an expert on "marriage counceling" when he's never been married!

The same is true of these "self proclaimed experts" on sex abuse. Until you have walked in a victims shoes, I'm sorry, but you're no expert.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »

To a great extent, I agree with you, Adam. Both pastors and counselors deal with clientelle in matters on which they have no personal experience. But there are areas of a subject on which a person is generally considered an expert even when they haven't had personal experience. Most Cardiologists, for example, haven't had heart conditions; most historians never experienced the period of time they specialize in; and no pastor alive today ever experienced the Bible, or any part of it, in its own context. No, many counselors were never sexually abused, but many were. Indeed, many of them have gone into that field because of the abuse they suffered, and as a means of helping other people who have suffered as they did. Painting all of them with the same broad brush as inexperienced frauds is much the same as saying that all pastors are sexual perverts based on the fact that many of them are. SNAP is staffed primarily by people who have suffered sexual abuse at the hands of clergy. They are people with personal experience.

(And yes, I have had a few sad laughs at the expense of unmarried pastors engaging in marriage counseling. Lol.)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »

That having been said, the only counselor I have ever been to was deplorable. He is a pastor who also holds some form of certification as a counselor. On the other hand, I heard a pastor, who also has a degree in counseling, make the statement that "it's better to be single than to wish you were." A very wise word of counsel for sure! Lol.

Ummmm, and many of the OB/Gyns I know, being men, have never had the experience of pregnancy. (Lol... I had to throw that in there. [Ducking and running for cover!!!])
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:44:31 PM by Murcielago »

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »

LOL...
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2010, 02:00:39 AM »

It is extremely arrogant and conceited of someone to call themselves a sexual abuse counselor if  they haven't experienced it. A person CANNOT be "trained" for that.
Duane Clem

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »

One thing we need to think about from time to time is what will we do if those who have done us wrong repent and end up in heaven. Will we still want to go? How will Stephen relate to Saul of Tarsus, who was to blame for Stephen's death, and Stephen knew it?

I guess the greatest example of that kind of thing is Christ Himself. I drove the nails into His hands, as it were. How could He ever stand to be around me throughout eternity?

BOB!!! Seriously, stop!

I know where your going with this....
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »

So.... VestedInterest... get's quiet when they have been outed, eh?

Yep, I knew it was Glenn Dryden.
Billy Graham

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »

Veritas vos liberabit, my friend!

One thing we need to think about from time to time is what will we do if those who have done us wrong repent and end up in heaven. Will we still want to go? How will Stephen relate to Saul of Tarsus, who was to blame for Stephen's death, and Stephen knew it?

I guess the greatest example of that kind of thing is Christ Himself. I drove the nails into His hands, as it were. How could He ever stand to be around me throughout eternity?

BOB!!! Seriously, stop!

I know where your going with this....

vestedinterest

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »

So.... VestedInterest... get's quiet when they have been outed, eh?

Yep, I knew it was Glenn Dryden.

ROFL you are killin' me, Adam!  I'm a girl, for one thing!  Second thing, I was in a meeting at work all day, but it is so nice to be missed! And just out of curiosity, Adam, I admittedly don't have a dog in this fight, but there is definitely fallout all the way to VA as we well know... how about you? You sound like you have an axe to grind... care to share?

Meanwhile - hey, Thanksgiving, right? Am thankful for the gift of free speech! xoxo

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »

It appears that multiple users are using the name "vestedInterest".

If you take a close look at the writing styles from each post, you will notice that they are different each time.

I still contend that Pastor Dryden is one of them.

And if not....why can't you get Pastor Dryden to answer my questions?
Billy Graham
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up