Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denominational Growth  (Read 3673 times)

Gregory

• Veteran Member
Denominational Growth
« on: May 05, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

have you ever wondered as to the denominational breakdown in the area in which you live (in the United States)?  If so, click on  www.thearda.com  enter the zip code number in the box and you will find out.

For information from the recent denominational census (in the U.S.) go to the following:

http://www.atoday.org/article/1158/news/headlines-for-may/census-of-religion-shows-growing-nondenominational-non-christian-segments-in-the-u-s

Johann

Re: Denominational Growth
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »

For information from the recent denominational census (in the U.S.) go to the following:

http://www.atoday.org/article/1158/news/headlines-for-may/census-of-religion-shows-growing-nondenominational-non-christian-segments-in-the-u-s
The largest Protestant denomination is the Southern Baptist Convention with 50,000 congregations and 20 million adherents. It too has lost ground in the last decade despite its long-standing emphasis on evangelism and church growth.

This reference to stagnation in spite of evangelism is an interesting note. What is evangelism? It appears like this is quite a source of contention because some appear to claim that all the women are looking for is being church pastors and not evangelists. . .

Some of us have experienced how the world changed with the advent of television. Back around 1917 all an evangelist had to do was rent a meeting place and use a thunb nail to attack a hand written note on a telephone pole. This assured him a large audience and a number of souls for baptism.

Since the arrival of TV it has been difficult getting an audience  unless you have a membership. This has changed the methods of evangelism. In recent years I have often said: Give me a church with a solid membership where I can serve as a pastor, and by the Grace of God and the Holy Spirit we will win more souls than if we are burdened with an evangelistic effort. I have tried this and it works. Our members will not fail us if we give them a challenge.

With these changed circumstances I'd rather have a good church pastor, male or female, than an average evangelist  in order to win souls.

This is what we need to keep in mind, also when we evaluate the work God has given us - and also the meaning of ordination.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
Re: Denominational Growth
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »

A lot of interesting facts in the major study.

In some ways, the local study is even more interesting.  It claims more than !,300 SDAS live in mky ZIP Code area.  There are probably 300 members in the chruch.  Some others, like me, live here and attend elsewhere.  but 1,300 +  ?????

Pages: [1]   Go Up