Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A cult within Adventism?  (Read 33419 times)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
Re: A cult within Adventism?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »

I am an Adventist today because of Ken Cox.

However, his talk at a 3ABN camp meeting where he lashed out against those concerned about Danny's corruption was wrong. I wrote him or his organization about it, and never got a reply.

Why did Ken Cox report Danny Shelton as being a board member of his organization in 2008? Is Danny Shelton still one of his board members? If so, why?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:16:52 PM by Bob Pickle »

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 04:40:42 AM »

I did not know this and how sad. :'(

horsethief

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »

When I have called Amazing Facts asking why Doug Batchelor still does business with 3ABN?, I get this "Who are we to judge?" response. But this is not a matter of being judgemental. It's a matter of using discernment. I have to ask myself why these evangelists continue to appear on 3ABN?  I have to conclude that there is no reason except for self-promotion. Each one of them, in my opinion, has sold themselves out to Danny Shelton, who is a master at promoting himself for himself.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »

Perhaps our new GC President will try to turn things around?

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »

I think that it was reported that Ted Wilson, the new GC president, had an interview with 3ABN after his election to president, in which he supposedly spoke of 3ABN in laudatory terms
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

GRAT

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »

Well, maybe he doesn't know what is going on at 3abm.  :pals:  :oops:  Maybe someone should inform him so he knows.  :hot: 

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 01:33:19 PM »

Aren't 3ABN's problems general knowledge among church leaders?
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Johann

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »

Aren't 3ABN's problems general knowledge among church leaders?

Yes, I think it is. I have been surprised how much some of those I have talked to know and tell me that the divorce in June, 2004, has done much damage to the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »

Unfortunately, Horsethief, as along as GC has any associations or contracts with 3ABN, they do also represent out church.

I personally don't care what happens to 3ABN after this. It doesn't matter because they do not speak for neither do they represent the beliefs of the SDA church. The church has never condoned child molestation or insisted that divorce and remarriage can be sought for 'spiritual adultery'.

Hope channel and LLBN represent our church far better than 3ABN ever could.

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

horsethief

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »

No response needed to a 3ABN adherent.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 01:27:26 PM »

Excuse me, Horsethief?  I don't understand your comment.  Or maybe I do all to well.

I don't even watch 3ABn, never heard of Danny or Linda until Danny put their business on blast 5-6 years.  I am not a fan, they don't cater, by choice, to my demographic, so the network doesn't appeal to me.  Now does that mean because I know Danny(and his family) have some sreious issues, that I don't recognize them as Children of God?  No.  Does it mean that i have to believe them to be personified sin.......Nope!    Danny is wrong, the borad is wrong, TS is wrong and just nasty(oops!), but I pray for their lives and salvation.  That they may do the right thing by the people they have harmed. 
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »

Di,

They don't cater to your demographic? That raises a question I've wondered about for awhile.

Didn't I read somewhere on BSDA that Wintley Phipps got a million dollars from 3ABN for starting an urban channel? Whatever happened? Did he start the urban channel? If not, did he return whatever money he got? If not, did the money go for some other project? If so, what?

Or was there never any money given by 3ABN to Wintley?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »

I have no idea about that, Bob. I heard it just as you did.   I actually saw Pastor Phipps when he came to the Bay ARea several months ago.  I don't remember him mentioning the Channel at all.  He was there on behalf of his Academy.

No, 3ABN doesn't cater to my demographic.  I tend to favor what they call "urban gospel", and I am not in any manner a conservative SDA.  3ABN is not for me, and that was looooooong before this drama even started.  It is not a problem.  God did make us all different with different tastes, in food, flowers, colors, dress, music..........that is really ok with me.

Di,

They don't cater to your demographic? That raises a question I've wondered about for awhile.

Didn't I read somewhere on BSDA that Wintley Phipps got a million dollars from 3ABN for starting an urban channel? Whatever happened? Did he start the urban channel? If not, did he return whatever money he got? If not, did the money go for some other project? If so, what?

Or was there never any money given by 3ABN to Wintley?

horsethief

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »

Religious Cults: The Popular View
What exactly are religious cults? With such a large number of religious organizations and movements in the world today, it's important to understand what we mean when we start labeling certain groups. The dictionary defines cult as "a system of religious worship or ritual"; "devoted attachment to, or extravagant admiration for, a person, principle, etc." According to this definition, any believer in any god is a member of a cult. In the popular media, a cult is typically defined as a religious sect whose members are "controlled" by a manipulative organization or individual. This kind of cult is usually portrayed as deceptive, requiring absolute loyalty from its followers. Members are often removed from their prior lives altogether, including their jobs, homes and families. The Hare Krishnas, Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church, and Moses David Berg's Family of Love are some popular examples of this type of cult.

horsethief

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »

What are some characteristics of religious cults?

It is important to understand the characteristics of religious cults in order to identify a cult when we encounter one. So how do we recognize a cult when we see one? Study the following questions regarding the characteristics of religious cults:

Does the group claim to be a Christian organization or a friend of Christianity, but their teachings misrepresent Christian theology? Most often, the doctrines of the Trinity and salvation by grace alone are misrepresented in a cult's teachings.

Is the group characterized by authoritarianism? Are members who disobey to the slightest degree punished severely or excommunicated? Can a person think and study for themselves or must they rely on the group's leader for all of their instruction?

Is the Bible misinterpreted in the groups teaching? They may claim to interpret the Bible correctly, but does their biblical interpretation stand up under closely examination?

Are members of the group subject to psychological, physical, or spiritual harm?

When asked, can the group provide an accurate and detailed history of the founders and origin of the organization?

Do you sense intimidation or deception within the group or toward outsiders? Are the members manipulated - either by time-manipulation or thought-manipulation?

Is there secrecy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up