Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P. Tommy Shelton (in prison, that is)  (Read 53072 times)

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
Re: R.I.P. Tommy Shelton (in prison, that is)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »

Tommy Shelton's father molested him.
What?! I've never heard this before!
Maybe cousin Ellis, but not Tommy Sr.

I have heard this before, In fact, I believe his defense attorney mentioned it to the prosecutor at one point.

One of the vitims who says he was molested in the 50's said Tommy use to babysit him and then molested him.  I believe he said he was like 7 and Tommy was 16 or 17.

Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

JustWondering

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »

Tommy has told others that he did inappropriate things to his son.  Thank God that with His help this cycle does not always continue.  We must pray that those that Tommy Shelton hurt seek help, first from God, in stopping the cycle.
Tommy's son is a very honorable man who has no proclivity toward this sort of thing. Anyone who knows him knows that although his life has not been without bruises, he has come out above the issues. He is a man to be proud of.
Praise God! With God all things are possible.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »

....well that is considerably more than a few weeks........are they using prophetic time for their calculations?

6 years
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »

....well that is considerably more than a few weeks........are they using prophetic time for their calculations?

6 years

:ROFL: :ROFL: They had no idea. I laughed when they said "Tommy was looking at months and not years."
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

Johann

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »

Praise God! With God all things are possible.

That is what is important!

JustWondering

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

Tommy Shelton's father molested him.
What?! I've never heard this before!
Maybe cousin Ellis, but not Tommy Sr.
I have heard this before, In fact, I believe his defense attorney mentioned it to the prosecutor at one point.
Tommy told me that he was molested by his father.

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

Tommy has said that to others as well.

My question is when did this start? One man recently told me he believes he was one of Tommys first victims and that was in the 50's.

Alex L. Walker

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »

....and that would fit the profile of a molester.  They are more often than not victims themselves.  Poor thing. That being said.....folks this is the 21st century and somebody int hat family knew where to get some help for TS. 3ABN does have a host of christian professional counselors, etc. running through there.  There was loads of opportunity to get him the help he needed.  Even if the tried with an interventio or two and he refused, Ts defeitniely should not have been allowed to work at 3ABN around children, well at 3ABN at all since children were there regularly. 

Tommy told me that he was molested by his father.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

Six years is a hard punishment. But what else can our civil authorities do to stop this from running in families, if they refuse other help? And lots of misguided people are defending them?

GRAT

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:35 PM »

If it is true about the father, was Tommy the only one of the sons molested by him? 

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:33 PM »

Not much, Pastor Johann.  Unfortunately, TS story is typical, especially if you add religious membership to the mix.  As with this case the victim's families are often guilted into silence, which we see often comes back to bite them, because the abuser will use that fact to assist with their defense and claims of innocence........i.e., "Were there any charges filed, reports made to proper authorities". 

Now, here is California, the laws for domestic abuse now do not required charges to be filed by the victim, and the state can "compel" the victim to testify.  This came out abused women/men calling out the police and then changing their minds once they got there, or even bailing them out before th arrest reports can be written.......but there is no such law for sexual abuse to minors.  Some time of prosecution still depends on the child reporting to parents/reporting agents,
parents/reporting agents believing them, and then reporting to proper authorities.

Six years is a hard punishment. But what else can our civil authorities do to stop this from running in families, if they refuse other help? And lots of misguided people are defending them?

Johann

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »

If it is true about the father, was Tommy the only one of the sons molested by him? 

Only a profound amount of the Holy Spirit would get most people to admit that

Johann

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 02:41:31 AM »

Have been examining quite a few cases. Strange things happen to victims. They often live in complete denial, and therefore learn the subtle art of lying and making it convincing to others. Slowly as they learn this art and become adept at it they learn they can use their untruths to enrich themselves as they gather a group of believers around them.

Some experience a rebirth and a completely new life when they face themselves and admit their false stories and make confessions. I have met such people, and I have also met people who continue living in their deception which in some cases destroy them. This is pathetic, knowing the joy those achieve who turn their lives around.

I have dealt with people who may have lived in denial for 30-40 years, some times because their parents have refused to listen to them. It is also pathetic dealing with other people who refuse to believe the stories of victims until years later when they see the harm they have done.

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »

Just received a phone call from Deputy Common Wealth attorney Kathy Stott.

She informed me that there is no parole in Virginia, but that the DOC can let him go for good behavior after he has seved 85% of his time.

She stated Tommy was still defiant Friday claiming he was innocent. ******************************

She stated that Carol and Tammy Chance was there Friday.

She is unaware of where he will serve his time.

Edited to remove inappropriate content.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:41:09 AM by Snoopy »
Alex L. Walker

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »

....well 85% is also a long way from a few weeks......again, were they speaking in terms of prophetic time............
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up