Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retired and over 100 years of age.  (Read 3609 times)

Gregory

• Veteran Member
Retired and over 100 years of age.
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »

Fact: 
1) There are 152 retired members of the U.S. Army who are over 100 years of age and recieve monthly retirement pay!
2) There are 995 spouses of deceased retired members of the U.S. Army who recieve monthly payments under theSurvivor Benefit Program.
3) There are 860,134 living retired members of the U./S. Army who recieve monthly retirement pay.
4) In fiscal year 2011, the U.S. government paid $17,175,803,014 in retirement benefits to living retired members of the U.S. Army and their survivoring spouses.

Source:  ECHOES, May-August, 2012 issue, page 4.

SDAminister

Re: Retired and over 100 years of age.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

Fact: 
1) There are 152 retired members of the U.S. Army who are over 100 years of age and recieve monthly retirement pay!
2) There are 995 spouses of deceased retired members of the U.S. Army who recieve monthly payments under theSurvivor Benefit Program.
3) There are 860,134 living retired members of the U./S. Army who recieve monthly retirement pay.
4) In fiscal year 2011, the U.S. government paid $17,175,803,014 in retirement benefits to living retired members of the U.S. Army and their survivoring spouses.

Source:  ECHOES, May-August, 2012 issue, page 4.

I wonder what the numbers would be if all retired servicemen were counted.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:40:52 AM »

I do not know.  I only had the figures for the Army.

I would suspect that you could double them, as there are more people who serve in the Armly than in the other services.  But, who knows.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:05:24 AM by Gregory »

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:04:04 AM »

Taking the figures that I gave you we can figure out what the average (mean) retirement pay would be for the U.S. Army, per year.

Retired service person:           $19, 956.00
Spouse of deceased member:  $10,975.00

As the above is the mean, some would recieve more and some would recieve less.

As a point of interest,  83% of the people who serve in the U.S. military recieve no retirement pay.  Why, those who serve in the active forces are required to serve 20 years on active duty before they become eligible for any retirement pay.  If they drop out at 17 years, they earn no retirement pay.

NOTE:  Those who are injured recieve disability payments, but not retirement pay.  Those disability pays are based upon the per-cent of injury.

NOTE:  The retirement pay system for those who serve in the Reserve is much more complex and the figures that I have given do not give us information for those who retire through the Reserves.  Reserve people serve one week-end a month and two weeks a year, unless mobilized.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:13:52 AM »

I wonder what the numbers would be if all retired servicemen were counted.

Keep in mind: Today's military consists of males and females.  Males and females are giving their lives in combat and both males and females are comming back injured.

When I first came to work for the Department of Veterans' Affairs (1994), we would occasionally have one female in our general hospital population and on  rare occasions we would have two females in our general hospital population.  I no longer keep track.  We have females every day.   As I work with the families of surgical patients, I note that we have female surgical patients several days a week and often more than one female patient on a day.  Due to our populations demographics, we do not yet have female patients on the level that is represented by the number of females in the military.

Johann

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »

Speaking of old age, we attended the funeral of my father's almost 102 year old first cousin. Even though he never joined our church, he recited clearly to us Seventh-day Adventist doctrines when he was about 100.
Pages: [1]   Go Up