Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change election day to Saturday???  (Read 11230 times)

reddogs

Change election day to Saturday???
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »

This is something that I just came across, it seems that the commentator as seen in the text below, doesnt feel that the votes of Sabbatarians matter, what are your thoughts.

".....Commentary: We should vote on the first Saturday in November
 Roland Martin says voting on Tuesday made sense when the day was set in 1845, but a change is needed.....

Now that the political parties have informally settled on their nominees, the focus turns to November 4, when the nation will go to the polls to choose a new president.
But why is Election Day on a Tuesday? Why in the world do we continue to insist on voting on a weekday when we are supposed to be encouraging as many people to vote as possible?

...Officially, Election Day is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November (depending on the year, it could be November 2 through November 8). Since 1845, this has been the standard practice in the United States. Congress wanted a set date to elect a president and members of Congress, and because we were an agricultural society, this was the best day for farmers in rural America to get to the polls. That made a ton of sense. Then. But a lot has changed in the past 163 years, and it's time Congress changed this unnecessary law.

The purists are likely to argue that everyone knows that a Tuesday in early November is set aside for Election Day. So with that in mind, just leave the election in November. Sure, it would make better sense to go with a month during which it's warm in nearly all of the USA, but the consistency argument also makes sense.

Roland Martin archive http://www.cnn.com/US/roland.martin/archive/

But why not the first Saturday in November? If that date were chosen, the majority of voters wouldn't have to worry about trying to vote before going to work, hoping and praying the lines aren't too long so they can zip in and zip out. The same thing happens in the evening. Folks have to hurry up and finish their work, interrupt meetings, and shut down whatever else they are doing and head to the polls............"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/10/roland.martin/index.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:48:34 PM by reddogs »

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Change election day to Saturday???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »

This is something that I just came across, it seems that the commentator as seen in the text below, doesnt feel that the votes of Sabbatarians matter, what are your thoughts.

".....Commentary: We should vote on the first Saturday in November
 Roland Martin says voting on Tuesday made sense when the day was set in 1845, but a change is needed.....

Now that the political parties have informally settled on their nominees, the focus turns to November 4, when the nation will go to the polls to choose a new president.
But why is Election Day on a Tuesday? Why in the world do we continue to insist on voting on a weekday when we are supposed to be encouraging as many people to vote as possible?

...Officially, Election Day is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November (depending on the year, it could be November 2 through November 8). Since 1845, this has been the standard practice in the United States. Congress wanted a set date to elect a president and members of Congress, and because we were an agricultural society, this was the best day for farmers in rural America to get to the polls. That made a ton of sense. Then. But a lot has changed in the past 163 years, and it's time Congress changed this unnecessary law.

The purists are likely to argue that everyone knows that a Tuesday in early November is set aside for Election Day. So with that in mind, just leave the election in November. Sure, it would make better sense to go with a month during which it's warm in nearly all of the USA, but the consistency argument also makes sense.

Roland Martin archive http://www.cnn.com/US/roland.martin/archive/

But why not the first Saturday in November? If that date were chosen, the majority of voters wouldn't have to worry about trying to vote before going to work, hoping and praying the lines aren't too long so they can zip in and zip out. The same thing happens in the evening. Folks have to hurry up and finish their work, interrupt meetings, and shut down whatever else they are doing and head to the polls............"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/10/roland.martin/index.html

Voting day in Australia is ALWAYS on a Saturday. There is provision for people who cannot vote on that day 'for religious reasons' (and some other reasons), to register for postal voting, or pre-poll voting.

It's never an issue for us, because our names are on the 'postal vote roll' and voting papers are sent automatically to us.  :australia:

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »

Voting day in Australia is ALWAYS on a Saturday. There is provision for people who cannot vote on that day 'for religious reasons' (and some other reasons), to register for postal voting, or pre-poll voting.

It's never an issue for us, because our names are on the 'postal vote roll' and voting papers are sent automatically to us.  :australia:

It shouldn't cause any problems here either. The polls are open at night and sundown is around 5:00 pm at the time of year
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Johann

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 08:35:07 PM »

Would you disfellowship a member in otherwise good and regular standing who has no qualms about voting on the Sabbath, and goes to the election poll on that day?

Is it work?

Which commandment would he break?

Or should he be voting at all? How if all the candidates drink a good share of alcohol? Are they fit to rule the country?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:39:44 PM by Johann »

Ozzie

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:20:42 PM »

Would you disfellowship a member in otherwise good and regular standing who has no qualms about voting on the Sabbath, and goes to the election poll on that day?

Is it work?

Which commandment would he break?

Or should he be voting at all? How if all the candidates drink a good share of alcohol? Are they fit to rule the country?

I'm not about to disfellowship anyone Johann, unless maybe, it were Danny Shelton.

Where voting is mandatory, as it is in Australia, I believe that we are to follow the law of the land.  :australia:

I do not see that is breaching the law of God in any way.

Yes. Most of the pollies have questionable morals, but I am dealing with them on a daily basis and find that most of them, have their constituency members' welfare at heart.

I have been able to bring many health issues to the forefront in both State and Federal Parliament, and see some fantastic changes occurring as a result.

I've found that I've been able to do more the make positive changes in the health system as I work as a volunteer, than I could ever do when I was being paid from the system and had to do as I was told.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Johann

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:39:20 AM »

What I said was not meant as an official approval. . .

Ozzie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:23:56 AM »

What I said was not meant as an official approval. . .

I didn't take it as such either Johann...  :purr:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.
Pages: [1]   Go Up