Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Illegal immigrants attending SDA churches...  (Read 22560 times)

horsethief

Illegal immigrants attending SDA churches...
« on: August 14, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »

Do we know of any? Are we concerned about it? Do we welcome illegal immigrants into our congregations? Should we report them?   

What does everyone think?

tinka

• Veteran Member
Re: Illegal immigrants attending SDA churches...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:45:30 PM »

Do we know of any? Are we concerned about it? Do we welcome illegal immigrants into our congregations? Should we report them?   

I don't at this time.  Yes, I am concerned. I have known that to happen. Yes, because they are here against the law of the land and we are to do as far as possible for the benefit of what their breaking the law causes others.  What is their problem doing things legal and by the law?>?

and just wondering if you are the -- real  :horse: thief???  :ROFL:

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:25:28 AM »

Good question. On the one hand there is Galatians 3:27-29 "for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

On the other hand there is Mark 12:17 "And Jesus said unto them, Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's."

Paul, Peter, John and each of the disciples disobeyed the law, as did Jesus, and were subjected to the death penalty for it. Would the brethren have been justified in turning them over to the law? Was Judas justified in turning Jesus over to the law because what Jesus did was against the law? Is that even relevant in the case of illegal immigrants? I have heard that argument made. What do you think?

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:03:41 AM »

This is a situation where church and state cannot be combined. or should they ever be. but soon will be.

horsethief

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:30:36 AM »

In some countries there is no freedom of religion or worship. Such as Cuba and North Korea. People who flee those countries and their oppressive regimes are considered refugees. Such is not the case with Mexico, Canada, Ireland or any of the Central and South American countries. Communist China doesn't seem to mind Christians now because they are good for business.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »

I know and I do feel very sorry for those countries. But I believe that long ago they chose to worship other then God and when all is gone they suffer as the rest of the nations do until their final standing also. But I do believe that some will hear the Loud Cry that has swollen from Holy Spirit in the end and those who hear will and be inspired will then come forth in the end. I hope many can. It is us that had every privilige and every opportunity that will come short from living our own opinions instead of all the knowledge we have been given and thrown out because of New Age agendas.

next week I am changing direct tv station to Dishnet as I am no longer interested in trying to find anything on "Hope". I just do not know what they think they are doing with that. Guess I do, it is too liberal for me. sounds a little like California stuff. Never been there and probably never will and have no desire to go there. 

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »

Going from Hope to 3ABN?

I know and I do feel very sorry for those countries. But I believe that long ago they chose to worship other then God and when all is gone they suffer as the rest of the nations do until their final standing also. But I do believe that some will hear the Loud Cry that has swollen from Holy Spirit in the end and those who hear will and be inspired will then come forth in the end. I hope many can. It is us that had every privilige and every opportunity that will come short from living our own opinions instead of all the knowledge we have been given and thrown out because of New Age agendas.

next week I am changing direct tv station to Dishnet as I am no longer interested in trying to find anything on "Hope". I just do not know what they think they are doing with that. Guess I do, it is too liberal for me. sounds a little like California stuff. Never been there and probably never will and have no desire to go there. 

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »

:ROFL: They have Angel and Safe tv. I like Safe tv and the Mormons that I really like their choir and stay up on the musicians, but I do miss Lyle, Ken, and the old standbys. (laugh) No I won't be watching DS and the gang. Haven't even seen him since I think about 4 -5 years now. or the rest of that bunch. I do have where I can go to the menu and watch downloaded sometimes on my computer some of the ole standby specials. It is true I just get a little sick to even think about watching the "clan". I won't watch them because I do not want that feeling. I try not to think about it. I basically just look at the programing on computer and went their no more then 3-4 times to see a special by one of the evangelists. Murclelago, your so funny and never miss a smidge (laugh)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:31:55 PM »

Be sure to check out my favoutrite channel!!!! History International

Nosir Myzing

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »

I think the first thing which should be considered is what is a Church and what is it's purpose and mission, and how does making an illegal immigrant, or any other person for that matter, feel unwelcome there help it stand true to those things? Second, if you want to witness to someone and you have them arrested and deported, how much do you think your witness is worth to them?

BTW All Seventh-day Adventist Churches as far as I know still  welcome and invite even those members who have been disfellowshipped by them to continue to attend and study and worship with them. The purpose being to love those members back.

horsethief

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 03:49:53 AM »

We may welcome illegal immigrants to visit and attend our services. But if a congregation knows that they are willfully breaking the law, then the church is responsible to inform the proper authorities. In the meantime, we may help them get fed and clothed, even sheltered temporarily. But the USA's laws are not oppressive concerning this matter. It's not as though illegal immigrants are being wrongfully persecuted by our government. We should not let our congregations become safe havens for people who engage in illegal activity.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »

Why not love them first?  Now I know in some cases, disciplinary action must be taken, but disfellowshipping members is losing it's place as the preference for dealing with most discipliary cases.

BTW All Seventh-day Adventist Churches as far as I know still  welcome and invite even those members who have been disfellowshipped by them to continue to attend and study and worship with them. The purpose being to love those members back.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »

We may welcome illegal immigrants to visit and attend our services. But if a congregation knows that they are willfully breaking the law, then the church is responsible to inform the proper authorities. In the meantime, we may help them get fed and clothed, even sheltered temporarily. But the USA's laws are not oppressive concerning this matter. It's not as though illegal immigrants are being wrongfully persecuted by our government. We should not let our congregations become safe havens for people who engage in illegal activity.

I can't believe my eyes, somebody else has finally posted with some of the others on here that believe the same.  including me.

horsethief

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:13:51 PM »

It's not a matter of disfellowshipping a member. Has nothing to do with that. It's a matter of alertness and discernment. Being aware of who is amongst us.

horsethief

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 12:04:35 AM »

It's patriotic and honorable for a US citizen to report an illegal immigrant to immigration authorities. It must be remembered that illegal entry into the USA is still a federal crime.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up