Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Danny & Linda's Divorce Symbolic?  (Read 19250 times)

Brick

Danny & Linda's Divorce Symbolic?
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »

This post should probably be in another thread by itself, maybe entitled, "Danny and Linda's Divorce Symbolic?"  But I cannot work out how to start a new thread   :huh:, so - here goes.

I hate divorce.  We know God hates divorce, especially among professing Christians, most especially among professing Seventh-day Adventists, extra-specially when it involves high profile leaders in God’s remnant church.  Divorce is ugly.  It tends to kill Christian love.  It pushes two persons who under God have pledged to become one, to a bitter and often frantic fight to prove the guilt of the other party, in order to justify their right to do what they have done, and to remarry.  It goes further and pushes others to take sides.

I furthermore hate it when professing, Bible-believing Christians, most especially professing Seventh-day Adventists, most extra-specially prominent leaders in God’s work, take each other to court.  It does the same thing as the action of divorce.  It breaks the flow of Christian love, trust and forgiveness and pushes into fight mode persons who at baptism pledged to die to self, love Him supremely and all others unselfishly.  When believers try to settle their differences in the courts of this world, actions that are otherwise readily recognized and condemned as being against God’s law of love, tend to be justified even by Christians, even Seventh-day Adventist Christians.

The Bible forbids Christians to take each other to court.

I hate this whole warfare that has been launched by the divorce of Danny and Linda Shelton.  I specially hate this warfare now that it has been committed more or less to the management of the courts of the world.

In the history of Seventh-day Adventism, has there been a divorce attracting more publicity?  I don’t think so.  Providence has permitted this development.  Why?  Could one reason be that there are aspects of this divorce that are symbolic of the larger warfare into which God’s people are being plunged?

“The Revelation was not written without tears; neither without tears will it be understood.”  Benson.  But the prophecies of Revelation show that it is those who “keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ,” who are the winners in the end.

In Bible times God as Master Teacher often used a person’s name or actions to symbolize a bigger happening or truth.  He is the same Master Teacher today.  Maybe modern Israel, as Israel of old, should be studying the symbolic significance of a husband and wife, and the possible symbolic meaning of this highly publicized divorce between Danny and Linda. 

In a dispute no Christians called to mediate are worth their salt unless they can exercise compassion towards all parties concerned. 

I have many persons and issues on my prayer list.  I myself have reason to covet the prayers of the saints.  I have been informed that my health condition is such that I may only have a few months to live.  But we serve a living God.  What a comfort and hope!  Our prayers do not fall upon deaf or impotent ears.  They will be heard and answered.  “When a man breathes an intensely earnest prayer to God…, there is in that intensity and earnestness a pledge from God that He is about to answer that prayer exceedingly abundantly, above all that we can ask or think.”  Ellen White, The Gospel Herald, May 28, 1902.

This ugly 3ABN debacle is one matter on my prayer list.  I am not able and do not feel called to become too closely involved in the battle in which some of you are engaged.  But I am praying:-
     - that He will bring conviction to those who hold a key to peace with regard to this 3ABN debacle;
     - that He will empower those holding these keys to come out of the woodwork and make the necessary moves;
     - that He will give courage to those who are crying out because of a sincere love of the truth and the desire to 
       see a fair go for all parties concerned; 
     - that He will work the miracle needed to help Danny and Linda to truly forgive each other and become friends, to
       the lesser degree possible in the changed circumstances;
     - that He will minister to Brandy, in the way He knows is best;
     - that He will give special grace to Bob Pickle and Gailon Arthur Joy that they might say and do only that which is
        pleasing to Him, and be encouraged in this endeavour;
     - that the armies of heaven will shape providences so that truth will triumph;
     - that anything amiss at 3ABN might be set right, and this ministry preserved for His name’s sake;
     - that those who are either knowingly or unknowing in any way warring against God, His children and work, might
        be enlightened, turned around, or silenced.

I am reminded of an illustration.  Somewhere someone has drawn an illustration of a bullock standing between an altar of sacrifice and a plough, with the words underneath reading, “Ready for either.”  Who of us is really ready for either?  Yet Jesus’ disciples are indeed called to be willing to commit to either role, even in life within the church.  See Matthew 10.  There have been, are, and will be, in this 3ABN debacle, as in many other church trials down through the centuries, those called to endure as maybe sacrificial lambs, and those called to work the plough.  God help me, us, the church, to recognize, love and honour those called to whichever role.  Words not said lightly: He will, at the last, ensure that all things work together for the good of those that love Him, and the glory of His name.  What is more important!  HE’S COMING SOON!

Brick

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:34:05 PM »

Providences are not a safe guide on their own, I know.  But also, when they line up with the Bible and the facts, we are denying God if we deny their authority.  Providences are one of the ways He speaks to us.

In our back yard we have a big 8 foot wide satellite dish.  On the concrete base of this dish is the date 12 November 2003.  John Malkiewycz, 3ABN agent in our country, carved it there on the day he erected this dish.  This dish is like a big monument in our back yard.  A monument to what, I asked myself?

About a year later I decided to check out this date to see if 12 November was of any significance in Adventist church history.  To my amazement I discovered that 12 November is the anniversary of the date in 1891 when Ellen White sailed out of San Francisco on the steamship Alameda, bound for our country, Australia. 

“Action was taken by the Mission Board, immediately after the Conference, inviting them to go in the autumn. This would bring them to the new field of labor in Australia's summer. The steamer sailing in October was found to be overcrowded, and the departure from San Francisco was delayed till the sailing of the Alameda,  November 12 [It seems this date was no accident].”  Life Sketches, p. 331.

Nov. 12, about 2 P. M., we went on board the steam-ship "Alameda," at San Francisco, Cal., for our long voyage across the Pacific Ocean. About twenty-five of our friends came to meet us at the boat and say good-by. Soon the last parting words were spoken, and at four o'clock our good ship left the dock, and steamed out of Golden Gate against a strong head-wind. The restless sea rocked and tossed us about, quite to the discomfort of the passengers, most of whom soon retired to their state-rooms. For a time we felt inclined to lie quietly in our berths. After the first day, however, we had very pleasant, smooth sailing. The captain said that he could hardly remember having had so pleasant a voyage.”  Review and Herald, 9 February 1892.

It took Ellen White about four weeks to reach our shores.  She of all persons could be said to be a symbol of the three angels’ messages, which 3ABN evangelists now brings to our shores in closer to four seconds.

This 12 November 2003 date has been given even greater impact in my experience because of two incredible providences which occurred, yes, on 22 October, just a few weeks earlier.  22 October is the anniversary of anniversaries in Adventism.  It is the date in 1844 of the great disappointment, and the ending of the 2300 days of Daniel 8:14. 

Whenever I look out into our back yard, Providence has ensured that I am reminded of the 12 November anniversary.  I simply cannot lightly turn my back upon 3ABN.  I am very uncomfortable with comments which in the cause of trying to clear Linda’s name and call for accountability at 3ABN, seem to speak of wiping out 3ABN entirely as a ministry.  Please, we must be careful of running ahead of God!   That kind of reasoning can also wipe out the whole SDA Church!  Much as we also value their ministries, I believe there are also holes in the witness of Hope and LLBN.  We do not see perfection anywhere where fallen mortals are operating.  Already we and many about us have been wonderfully blessed by the up front 3ABN ministry.  With a name like Three Angels Broadcasting Network, how sacred their responsibility to rightly represent the three angels messages, both in its public witness on television and radio, and in the behind-the-scenes operations of the ministry and its workerforce.  It is right that “stockholders in the pews demand accountability.”  But also, how sacred our responsibility to support a ministry called of God, and help it through its growing pains.

:australia:   

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »

My great-grandmother Driver helped Ellen White prepare for her journey to your country those many years ago. 

Brick, you are in my prayers.  May the peace that passes understanding fill your soul as you walk this challenging path with our Savior.

I also pray that your testimony will touch the hearts of all involved in this saga and help each see that there is something far more vital to be addressed than any of this messy controversy... that is, each one asking themselves "How is my relationship with with my Lord?  Am I ready for eternal life?  Am I a hinderance or a blessing to those around me?" 

Hugs and Blessings to you, Brick.
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:04:52 AM »

Brick;

I read your post and was surprised about your information about dates.  I can see how those dates are special to you and feel it was God speaking to you about having 3ABN.

I, too, love 3ABN.  I want it to soar with the eagles.  I believe some have misconstrued the object here about 3ABN.  None here want to "Destroy" 3ABN!  This is not the intent at all!  I watch 3ABN and rejoice that the messages of some are reaching around the globe. 

I believe 3ABN was brought up by God, and not by Danny Shelton.  God used Danny Shelton to carry out his plan for that time.  However, when Elijah was leaving to go up, he left his mantel with Elisha.  When Moses finished his job, he handed it over to Joshua.  The Bible is full of instances where the work is taken over by someone else.  God chose Saul to be the King.  It got really messy when God chose David to be king to replace Saul.  God changed his leader.  God's work continued on with new leaders.

This, to me is the object here.  3ABN will Survive and Thrive no matter what we or 3ABN does!  Only God can destroy 3ABN.  Our objective is to see a change in ownership take place.  3ABN is not Danny Sheltons!  Over the years this understanding developed in the heart of Danny Shelton.  I believe I understand exactly how it happened too.

If I started a business with my spouse, and built it for 20 years, no one could take it away from me.  There was one small problem added to the mix.  They became a 501 (c) (3).  This took 3ABN out of the hands of Danny, and put it in the hands of the viewers and under the eye of the government.  They were to comply with the rules and regulations required.  With 3ABN, Business continued as before when it was in reality a privately run entity.  Now the Internal Revenue is investigating.  It is a Criminal Investigation.

The state of IL has denied Property Tax Exemption because it so clear that 3ABN is Danny & Linda Shelton’s Business.  These court actions will cause those investigating 3ABN now to maybe remove all 501 (c) (3) privileges.  Most important they may lose their right to give tax deductable receipts to donors. 

Is this what God would wants?  I don’t believe it is.  To prevent this from happening we have been able to document many actions that break those special rules by the government and all seem to sadly point to Danny Shelton.

It was under his control and leadership that these things happened.  God is calling for new leadership to help 3ABN Survive.  Please reread the posts and you will see there are things we believe should change.  God has brought all these facts out in the open.

Remember, there would be no lawsuit if Danny Shelton had not set out to sue his brothers in Christ.  He is the one that sued in the 3ABN vs. IL Property Tax Lawsuit. Those lawsuits have brought out a very large amount of evidence against Danny Shelton and 3ABN; when in actuality it was the leadership of 3ABN that caused these things to happen. 

God brought these things to light to show evidence that God was ready for a change in the leadership of 3ABN.  I do not believe we are trying to say that 3ABN should belong to the Adventist church; but that God needs another person in the leadership role that can follow the rules required of all 501 (c) (3) entities.

We had hoped that Jim Gilley was God’s choice for this position.  I would add that he has brought a desperately need change in the programming.  However, he stops short, when it comes to the person that has caused all these problems in the first place.

We have to leave the choice of the leader to God.  Before, when God brought forth a new leader, He let people know who the chosen one was.  He will do the same again.

So please re-read and see what we have talked about that needs to change.  No where do we say that we were called to destroy anything.  We feel that Danny Shelton is doing a great job of this all by himself.

Danny probably wants to be bought out.  I believe Danny, to this day, believes that 3ABN belongs to him & his them wife, the co-founder.  I believe he feels he & Linda started it; he & Linda built it up; he an Linda are the reason people donate money to 3ABNhim; he & Linda are the one that is entitled to all of 3ABN.

We are praying for 3ABN and all of the leaders of 3ABN.  Danny is our brother in Christ.  We want all of us to be saved in the Kingdom of Heaven.  That is my desire.  However, things are about to get really nasty and ugly because of the lawsuit Danny filed against his brothers in Christ.  They have to bring all this to light to protect their rights.  God never asked anyone to become a door mat for anyone.   

Brick;

Thank you for your prayers.  I will be praying for you and your health in particular.  God knows what he has planned for you.  From your post, I cannot help but believe God can still use you in service for him.  Don’t be surprised if God answers with life.  Every new day is a gift straight from God.  Please keep me post as to your health.  I am praying.  Please pray for me and mine.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
Re: Danny & Linda's Divorce Symbolic?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 04:49:10 PM »

Brick;

If I started a business with my spouse, and built it for 20 years, no one could take it away from me.  There was one small problem added to the mix.  They became a 501 (c) (3).  This took 3ABN out of the hands of Danny, and put it in the hands of the viewers and under the eye of the government.  They were to comply with the rules and regulations required.  With 3ABN, Business continued as before when it was in reality a privately run entity.  Now the Internal Revenue is investigating.  It is a Criminal Investigation.

The state of IL has denied Property Tax Exemption because it so clear that 3ABN is Danny & Linda Shelton’s Business.  These court actions will cause those investigating 3ABN now to maybe remove all 501 (c) (3) privileges.  Most important they may lose their right to give tax deductable receipts to donors. 

Is this what God would wants?  I don’t believe it is.  To prevent this from happening we have been able to document many actions that break those special rules by the government and all seem to sadly point to Danny Shelton.

It was under his control and leadership that these things happened.  God is calling for new leadership to help 3ABN Survive.  Please reread the posts and you will see there are things we believe should change.  God has brought all these facts out in the open.

Remember, there would be no lawsuit if Danny Shelton had not set out to sue his brothers in Christ.  He is the one that sued in the 3ABN vs. IL Property Tax Lawsuit. Those lawsuits have brought out a very large amount of evidence against Danny Shelton and 3ABN; when in actuality it was the leadership of 3ABN that caused these things to happen. 

God brought these things to light to show evidence that God was ready for a change in the leadership of 3ABN.  I do not believe we are trying to say that 3ABN should belong to the Adventist church; but that God needs another person in the leadership role that can follow the rules required of all 501 (c) (3) entities.

We had hoped that Jim Gilley was God’s choice for this position.  I would add that he has brought a desperately need change in the programming.  However, he stops short, when it comes to the person that has caused all these problems in the first place.

We have to leave the choice of the leader to God.  Before, when God brought forth a new leader, He let people know who the chosen one was.  He will do the same again.

Danny probably wants to be bought out.  I believe Danny, to this day, believes that 3ABN belongs to him & his them wife, the co-founder.  I believe he feels he & Linda started it; he & Linda built it up; he an Linda are the reason people donate money to 3ABNhim; he & Linda are the one that is entitled to all of 3ABN.

We are praying for 3ABN and all of the leaders of 3ABN.  Danny is our brother in Christ.  We want all of us to be saved in the Kingdom of Heaven.  That is my desire.  However, things are about to get really nasty and ugly because of the lawsuit Danny filed against his brothers in Christ.  They have to bring all this to light to protect their rights.  God never asked anyone to become a door mat for anyone.   

You have given an excellent synopsis up until the bolded paragraph, to which I take exception.

The problem with your premise in bolded type is that Danny does not view 3ABN as his and LINDA's but rather his own...a sole proprietorship...a sole founder and sole entitlement.

This is clear in the terms of termination, the battle for equitable distribution of marital assets, including the Shelton Business known as 3ABN.

They, the directors, now work feverishly to turn the ship around and save it from certain liquidation, but do so while clinging to the one element that is an albatross about their necks, Danny Lee Shelton.

Given the evidence that continues to roll through our hands from so many sources, one must come to the conclusion that 3ABN will continue to be plagued
by difficulties that are unnecassary if they would simply work out a resolution to the albatross.

We trust that the directors will see the light in time to avoid further shoals that simply could be avoided. We have given them over a year and have yet to even assert Affirmative Defenses, let a lone counterclaims. But their time is now up and we move forward with a more vigorous defense, the consequences are unlikely to be appreciated by anyone. C'est la vie!!!

May the Lord see fit to lead the various actions in the way that will bring reform and accountability.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Ozzie

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »

You have given an excellent synopsis up until the bolded paragraph, to which I take exception.

The problem with your premise in bolded type is that Danny does not view 3ABN as his and LINDA's but rather his own...a sole proprietorship...a sole founder and sole entitlement.

This is clear in the terms of termination, the battle for equitable distribution of marital assets, including the Shelton Business known as 3ABN.

They, the directors, now work feverishly to turn the ship around and save it from certain liquidation, but do so while clinging to the one element that is an albatross about their necks, Danny Lee Shelton.

May the Lord see fit to lead the various actions in the way that will bring reform and accountability.
Gailon Arthur Joy

That is exactly the point Gailon. Danny sees 3abn as HIS - not even God's. Therein lies the problem. The Board certainly need to get rid of the albatross around their necks.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:55:14 PM »

I agree with you.  Danny sees 3ABN as his, but in actuality, Linda IS a co founder.  Should Danny sell, we all need to remember the facts as they are.  That is why I wrote it that way.  Should 3ABN be sold, Half is Linda's as I see it.

However, we realize that Danny's thinking is not correct.  Linda has been slighted in every way.  It has to stop.  She gets 50% should 3ABN sell.  If not, Linda should get involved really fast.

I originally typed in only Danny, but after thinking about it, I realized I was not speaking the truth.  Could it be time to speak all truth.  I am sure including Linda was not the politically correct statement, but it is truth.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »

Can a non-profit organization be sold?  Or are you referring to possible options once they lose their tax-exempt status?  And, if that happens, do you think there will be anything left to sell?  Just curious.

I agree with you.  Danny sees 3ABN as his, but in actuality, Linda IS a co founder.  Should Danny sell, we all need to remember the facts as they are.  That is why I wrote it that way.  Should 3ABN be sold, Half is Linda's as I see it.

However, we realize that Danny's thinking is not correct.  Linda has been slighted in every way.  It has to stop.  She gets 50% should 3ABN sell.  If not, Linda should get involved really fast.

I originally typed in only Danny, but after thinking about it, I realized I was not speaking the truth.  Could it be time to speak all truth.  I am sure including Linda was not the politically correct statement, but it is truth.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:14:14 PM »

Since the Property Tax Lawsiut has stated that 3ABN is a For-Profit family business, it seems to legally be so.  Until the IRS declares the same thing and removes their right to give tax-deductible receipts for donations, i have to consider them a for-profit entity.  With the way I see the accounting pratices of 3ABN, I tend to agree that 3ABN has been run as a closely held family business.

I believe that may be a reason Danny had to get rid of his Christlike wife by lying, saying she committed Spiritual Adultery.   You know that sharing thingy about splitting everything 50/50?

I believe Danny uses these rulings to his advantage.  He wants it all!  I just see it that way because of my research and documented evidence on http://save-3abn.com

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »

Since the Property Tax Lawsiut has stated that 3ABN is a For-Profit family business, it seems to legally be so.  Until the IRS declares the same thing and removes their right to give tax-deductible receipts for donations, i have to consider them a for-profit entity.  With the way I see the accounting pratices of 3ABN, I tend to agree that 3ABN has been run as a closely held family business.

I believe that may be a reason Danny had to get rid of his Christlike wife by lying, saying she committed Spiritual Adultery.   You know that sharing thingy about splitting everything 50/50?

I believe Danny uses these rulings to his advantage.  He wants it all!  I just see it that way because of my research and documented evidence on http://save-3abn.com

Fran,

Heelllooo...

The tax case was about determining, or denying  "a religious exemption" for local property taxes
based on whether programing such as health, cooking shows,  exercise programs,and such are religious programming. Based on Adventist beliefs the health message is, based upon the local secular authorities it is not. The case was NOT about whether 3ABN was a for Profit or not for profit organization.

It was a registered NPO before the tax case, and it remains a NPO after the case. That did NOT change.

Linda is entitled to a percentage of zero, as 3ABN is not a marital asset nor was it ever, and nor is it now owned by Danny Shelton, nor anyone else, nor has it ever been. (so there goes your evil surmisings about DS's motives and intents)

Folks, all the posters in this thread claiming that Danny Shelton regards himself as the owner of 3ABN, and claiming to know how he thinks and feels have never even met him, nor is there one single quote of him ever saying such..

Ian
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:15:49 PM by Ian »

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:09:40 PM »

Here's a little information for you to add to your research, Fran.  Many states do have a "sharing thingy about splitting everything 50/50".... Illinois does not.  They are an "equitable distribution" state.

Property Distribution: Since Illinois is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

??? ?? ??? ?? ????

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »

Fran,

Heelllooo...

The tax case was about determining, or denying  "a religious exemption" for local property taxes
based on whether programing such as health, cooking shows,  exercise programs,and such are religious programming. Based on Adventist beliefs the health message is, based upon the local secular authorities it is not. The case was NOT about whether 3ABN was a for Profit or not for profit organization.

It was a registered NPO before the tax case, and it remains a NPO after the case. That did NOT change.

Linda is entitled to a percentage of zero, as 3ABN is not a marital asset nor was it ever, and nor is it now owned by Danny Shelton, nor anyone else, nor has it ever been. (so there goes your evil surmisings about DS's motives and intents)

Folks, all the posters in this thread claiming that Danny Shelton regards himself as the owner of 3ABN, and claiming to know how he thinks and feels have never even met him, nor is there one single quote of him ever saying such..

Ian

Again, Ian, you are incorrect.

The appellate decision specifically took 3ABN's word for it that its health programs were religious, and still denied their property tax exemption. You have just repeated Danny's spin of things which proved in the long run to be an irrelevant issue.

The principal question was whether 3ABN's property was used with a view to profit, and 3ABN utterly failed to prove to the court that it wasn't. That's why 3ABN lost their case.

Further, the hearing judge ruled that 3ABN "was not run by an independent board of directors, but was operated as a closely held business for the personal benefit of the Sheltons," according to Mike Riva.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 09:25:09 PM »

Here's a little information for you to add to your research, Fran.  Many states do have a "sharing thingy about splitting everything 50/50".... Illinois does not.  They are an "equitable distribution" state.

Property Distribution: Since Illinois is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

I'm glad to hear that, GrandmaNettie, because in that case, Linda Shelton should be entitled to at least half.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »

Not YET!!

But you can bet your bottom dollar somebody's looking real close at that as we speak!!!

Ian

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »

OK.  How in the world would you know who has or who has not met Danny Shelton??

Ian
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up