Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Must all songs praise and give glory to God?  (Read 4625 times)

reddogs

Must all songs praise and give glory to God?
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »

"Stairway to Heaven" (or, for Christians who listen to music) Must all songs praise and give glory to God?

One day a man came to our school to tell us of the 'evils' of 'Rock and Roll' and how we cant be a 'slave to the rhythm'. He was a musician who had repented of the rock star life, given his heart to the Lord, and written a book about it.

Many were impressed and listened to him as he gave his testimony and showed us how the music could 'move' and 'arose' the senses. The whole student body was strongly affected, and many spiritual and religious outreach was begun or strengthen by the spirit. We gave up our 'rock and roll' records, tore up our Led Zep, threw away our Santana, and yes, let go of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

My question is, does the music/content/words that Christians listen to have to be to 'spirtual' or give praise and give glory to God?

I checked who the music world, such as VH1 thought was the best to see if they had any 'redeeming' music/content/words in their songs, and put a comment beside each. As you can see, there wasnt much uplifting in their music I could find:

1) Beatles - Cant think of any (My Sweet Lord was to Lord Vishnu so doesnt count)
2) The Rolling Stones -Definitely Not as 'Requiem for the Devil' shows their god.
3) Jimi Hendrix - No
4) Led Zeppelin - (Stairway just doesnt cut it)
5) Bob Dylan - Maybe, didnt understand much of the words
6) James Brown - No
7) David Bowie -- No
8) Elvis Presley -- Yes, His gospel songs set the standard in my book.....
9) The Who -- No
10) The Police -- Beautiful Music but the words are focused on man.
11) Stevie Wonder -- Stevie has a lot of love and it comes through
12) Ray Charles -- Hmmm, I know he did some Gospel
13) The Beach Boys -- No
14) Marvin Gaye -- No
15) Eric Clapton -- No
16) John Lennon -- See Beetles
17) Elton John -- No
18) The Artist (Formerly Known as Prince) -- I heard he was SDA, but never picked up nothing in his songs.
19) Pink Floyd -- NO
20) The Doors -- No
21) Aretha Franklin -- Not quiet sure
22) Fleetwood Mac -- No
23) The Eagles -- See Fleetwood Mac.
24) Bob Marley -- The greatest Reggae singer ever... but still no.
25) Van Morrison -- ?
26) Chuck Berry -- No
27) Bruce Springsteen -- No
28) Sly & The Family Stone -- Didnt he start in a choir?
29) U2 -- No
30) Neil Young -- I dont know all of his music..
31) The Clash -- ?
32) Joni Mitchell -- ?
33) Queen -- No, (I've searched all their songs, nothing.)
34) Buddy Holly -- Who
35) Otis Redding -- Maybe
36) Little Richard -- See Prince
37) Al Green -- No
38) Elvis Costello -- ?
39) Miles Davis -- The greatest jazz man ever, but does just music count?
40) Michael Jackson -- Think sleeping with kids, NO!
41) Janis Joplin -- NO
42) Nirvana -- Kurt lived his songs..
43) Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers --?
44) The Jackson Five -- Jehovah Witnesses, but I dont know if they ever sang in the choir.
45) Crosby, Stills & Nash (& Young)-- Have to check but cant think of any
46) The Sex Pistols -- The name says it all
47) Creedence Clearwater Revival -- John Fogerty who?
48) Van Halen -- David Lee Roth is a poster child for people your mother told you to keep away.
49) Roy Orbison -- Maybe
50) R.E.M -- No
51) B.B. King -- See Miles Davis
52) Cream -- See Miles Davis
53) Peter Gabriel -- No
54) The Grateful Dead -- The name gives a hint.
55) The Byrds -- Cant remember any of their songs.
56) The Kinks -- No
57) Steely Dan -- See Miles Davis
58) Sam Cooke -- Maybe
59) Bo Diddley -- See Miles Davis
60) Earth, Wind & Fire -- No
61) Smokey Robinson -- Did he sing in the choir?
62) Paul McCartney -- See Beetles
63) Sting -- See the Police
64) Frank Zappa -- I never got him...
65) James Taylor -- Didnt like his songs.
66) Talking Heads -- ?
67) Kiss -- Definitely not
68) The Allman Brothers -- Cant remember their songs
69) Pretenders -- No
70) Stevie Ray Vaughan -- See Miles Davis
71) Rod Stewart -- No
72) Simon & Garfunkel -- "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" is Gospel if I remember right.
73) Muddy Waters -- See Miles Davis
74) The Velvet Underground -- ?
75) Curtis Mayfield -- ?
76) The Bee Gees -- Not a chance
77) John Coltrane -- ?
78) Billy Joel -- Dont think so
79) Aerosmith -- No
80) Tina Turner -- Good singer in the choir..
81) The Band -- ?
82) Devo -- No
83) Iggy Pop -- See Devo.
84) T-Rex -- Who
85) Carole King -- Didnt hear much of hers.
86) Madonna -- Ask the Catholics on this one..
87) Santana -- Carlos the man, the legend, but still No.
88) Ramones -- ?
89) Johnny Cash -- The only real country artist on here... and I got to believe he did some gospel.
90) Tom Waits -- ?
91) Gladys Knight & the Pips -- She must have sung in a church choir somewhere.
92) The Tempations -- Need help on these...
93) The Four Tops -- Need help on these...
94) Diana Ross & The Supremes -- ...and need help on another one.
95) Robert Johnson -- See Miles Davis
96) Lynyrd Skynyrd -- No
97) Fats Domino -- Didnt hear him
98) Traffic -- Music is good, but the words...
99) Parliament-Funkadelic -- Who
100) Paul Simon -- Any Simon and Garfunkel fans know of any song...?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:24:47 AM by reddogs »

Emma

Re: Must all songs praise and give glory to God?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:58:32 PM »

I have not followed popular music enough to make comments on those you have listed.(that is not a moral judgement, just the way I am).

I do not think all songs have to praise God directly.  On the other hand, I would avoid anything that overtly or implicitly was derogatory to God and His ways.

GrammieT

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:52:11 AM »

I have not followed popular music enough to make comments on those you have listed.(that is not a moral judgement, just the way I am).

I do not think all songs have to praise God directly.  On the other hand, I would avoid anything that overtly or implicitly was derogatory to God and His ways.

:goodpost:  Emma!

I agree with you in the main.  I did find when I was younger that I couldn't listen to most of the popular music of the day (40's, 50's and 60's) because it fed my feelings of need for love and made me very depressed and sad.  :console:  However, I still remember the novelty song by the Ames Brothers  'The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane'.  :ROFL: :ROFL: It was one of the cleverest songs about the special qualities of a new baby girl and I still love it!  :thumbsup: There were several other novelty tunes that I got a kick out of, much to my Mother's consternation,  :horse:   because they were so NOISY and I played 'em LOUD!  :rabbit: 'Battle of New Orleans' comes to mind along with 'Transfusion' .  Does anyone else remember these oldies but goodies or have any different ones on your favorites list? :thumbsup: :cat:

:purr:  GrammieT   :dogwag:

reddogs

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:24:06 AM »

So would you say that words sometimes is what makes one song 'good' and another 'bad', but is that the only criteria. No it cannot be just the words, as sounds of instruments can also be used to glorify the divine.

Revelation 15:2
And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

Emma

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »

So would you say that words sometimes is what makes one song 'good' and another 'bad', but is that the only criteria. No it cannot be just the words, as sounds of instruments can also be used to glorify the divine.

Revelation 15:2
And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

Of course it is a combination of the words and the music.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »

I love Ray Stevens.  Everyone has heard of the Squirrel that went to church, right?  He makes me laugh so hard!

He has such a beautiful voice.  I hear him sing, Everything is Beautiful in Its Own Way, and wonder why he had to be silly in most of his songs.  His voice is so wonderful. 

I guess my favorite silly song of his was, He Can't Love You Half as Much as I!

I understand he is now Muslim.  I believe he is a good person.

I believe the music we listen to should uplift us in spirit.  I prefer piano concerts and instrumentals.  Classics are nice.  I love spiritual songs. 

I have been especially moved by Linda Shelton's songs.  It is clear she has been at the foot of the cross, no matter what people say!  The music she wrote hits home for me.

I love listening to W Phipps sing.  He can give me goose bumps.  There are so may more!

In the past 8-10 years I have had times I could not even raise my empty hands to my Saviour!  He has always been there.  No matter how dark it seems, He gives me light, and I am here today because of his Gracious mercy.  Why He cares for me is amazing!  He gave it all for me.  Somewhere he saw fit to carry me all these years.  I have no place to go, but to Him.  He is the air I breathe.  He holds me and helps me stand.  I have nothing of value to return.  All I have is my filthy rags.  He means it when He says. Lay It on Me!

Cristy Lane sings a song called, Lay It On Me.  This song has deep meaning for me in a very, very real sense.  I have to listen to it often because I have to lean on Jesus, or I will not make it.  He takes my burdens and sets me free.  These are the simple words.  The words mean more when added to music.

When a hill seems like a mountain,
and some chain has got you bound.

Lift up your need to the Saviour,
And He'll say lay it down.

He said Lay it on me.
Lay it on me.
Lay it on me,
and I'll set you free.
Lay it on me.

Its just a breeze softly blowing,
still you're bending in the wind.

And your too tired to lift your burden,
lift your empty hands to Him.

He said Lay it on me.
Lay it on me.
Lay it on me,
and I'll set you free.
Lay it on me.

Let not your heart be troubled,
neither let it be afraid.

I will not forget the Words He said,
or the promise He made.

He said, Lay it on me.
Lay it on me.
Lay it on me,
and I'll set you free.
Lay it on me.
Lay it on me.
Lay it on me,

Yes, I believe music is powerful!  God uses it to draw us to Him.  The world uses it to gratify self.  Yes, I loved the music from 65-74!  I went dancing every weekend!  Party, Party, Party!  I have to confess that those years were fun for sure.  Were the actions lasting? No.  Once it was over it was over.

With God, He is always there.  His love has no end!  He answers my prayers and I wonder, why?  I still ask Him, why me Lord, why me? He still answers, Lay it on Me and I will set you free.  It is our choice to accept or not.  I accept Him with open arms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up