Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mollie Steenson: Gatekeeper and Korahite at 3ABN  (Read 20562 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Mollie Steenson: Gatekeeper and Korahite at 3ABN
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »

The March, 2008 issue of 3ABN World displays an attractive photo of Mollie Steenson on the cover and a feature article about her inside the publication.

To illustrate the great responsibilities God has placed on the 3ABN ministry, she says, "...when he introduced himself as an Adventist pastor, the other man's wife became excited and said, 'Oh! 3ABN!'".

The point is made in the article that "many people around the world think of 3ABN when they hear the word Adventist".

Mollie expands on the title of the article, A Gatekeeper's Calling, by explaining that the Korahites, a segment of the Levites of the Old Testament, "were in charge of the work of the service, gatekeepers of the tabernacle".

The article concludes with Mollie Steenson's quoting "...I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness".
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Mollie Steenson: Gatekeeper and Korahite at 3ABN
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »

Mollie Steenson is also an ordained minister (of an unspecified denomination)--see the following from the 3ABN Property Tax Case Appeal, Opening Brief:

The Sheltons, together with Mollie Steenson, the Department Coordinator and an ordained minister, plus the four pastors on staff at Three Angels, review all programming to assure that it is doctrinally consistent with Seventh-day Adventist views.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »

It may be that Mollie Steenson has been primarily concerned with gatekeeping for 3ABN and reviewing programming with the other pastors.

That might be why she apparently overlooked the problem of allegations toward Tommy Shelton, alleged pedophile, when she stated during the 2006 New Year's Eve Tribute to Tommy Shelton:

"Tommy, our production department has grown and flourished under your management. No one could have possibly done the job that you've done. Tommy you're the best. I just can't imagine 3ABN without you." 

Habanero

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »

What does "gatekeeping" mean in the context of the Korahites? What exactly does she do a a "gatekeeper?"

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »

Advice from Moshe Kohn of the Jerusalem Post:

"Don't be a Korahite "
From: Jerusalem Post | Date: June 11, 1999| Author: Moshe Kohn 
06-11-1999

KORAH IS one of ten men who coveted things to which they were not entitled, and who not only did not get their heart's desire, but came to a bad end. These were Cain, who desired the whole world for himself; Korah, who was not satisfied with being a levite and demanded the priesthood; Balaam, who came to collect payment from the Moabite King Balak (Numbers 22-24); Doeg and Ahitophel, who conspired against David (I Samuel 21-22; II Samuel...

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »

One of Mollie Steenson's gatekeeping duties appears to have been the firing of the staff of the Trust Services Department in April of 2006.

Subsequent to some concerns by the staff of the Trust Services department, action was taken as noted below:

The staff is said to have coalesced into a team determined to correct the issues. They put together packages of documentation providing evidence to support their concerns with various documents and appropriate cover-letters, sending them to Mollie Steenson, Danny Lee Shelton and Chairman Walter Thompson.

...Mollie spent most of a week interviewing all the staffers and at the end of the week Mollie Steenson is said to have summarily dismissed the support staff, leaving the alleged perpetrator, Leonard Westphal, in place.

At least some of the alleged victims / disaffected / dismissed employees filed complaints with the California Dept of Fair Housing and Employment in Los Angeles which opened a case file # 37A-AS-10394. The allegations are said to have included Racial Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Retaliation and sought compensation for lost wages and emotional distress. Two staffers are said to have kept a log of abuses and made these available to investigators.

Child_of_God

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:20:45 AM »

What does \"gatekeeping\" mean in the context of the Korahites? What exactly does she do a a \"gatekeeper?\"

Rather than speculate or criticize and wonder what Mollie Steenson meant why not just ask her.

Habanero

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 02:25:15 AM »

What does \"gatekeeping\" mean in the context of the Korahites? What exactly does she do a a \"gatekeeper?\"

Rather than speculate or criticize and wonder what Mollie Steenson meant why not just ask her.

Your computer is doing what Jack Indabox's computer does. It is placing a backslash before quotation marks. You might want to look into why its doing that.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:39:23 AM »

Perhaps Child_of_God is Jack Indabox? Or at least they might be using the same proxy.

So Habanero, are you using a proxy?

Child_of_God

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 08:54:04 AM »

Perhaps Child_of_God is Jack Indabox? Or at least they might be using the same proxy.

So Habanero, are you using a proxy?

I am not Jack Indabox and I do not know if we have the same proxy.....whatever that means.

When are you going to learn that insinuations do not get you anywhere.

GRAT

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:25 AM »

So, does anyone know what the status of the complaint in California is?  Has it been settled or what?  :huh:

Cindy

• Veteran Member
  • "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 10:31:48 AM »

So, does anyone know what the status of the complaint in California is?  Has it been settled or what?  :huh:

What complaint in CA?

GRAT

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »

Did you read the posts before mine?  Artiste's post regarding some trust services employees complaint to the CA Dept of Fair Housing and Employment in LA, case file #37A-AS-10394.  Or are you being purposely obtuse?

Cindy

• Veteran Member
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

Did you read the posts before mine?  Artiste's post regarding some trust services employees complaint to the CA Dept of Fair Housing and Employment in LA, case file #37A-AS-10394.  Or are you being purposely obtuse?

Yes, I somehow missed Artiste's post about  "the alleged perpetrator, Leonard Westphal" , but now that you have pointed it out along with the case number, aprox date, and location I have done some searching. The alleged complaints filed seem to have stopped and proceeded no further with the CA Dept of Fair Housing and Employment's investigation, then they did with Mollie Steenson's investigation.

IOW, I can't find any case in any courts, or on PACER either, with either this case number or any other, either back then or now...

I do believe that it was individuals who were fired and not "the staff of the Trust Services Department"  though.

I also believe that it is both good and wise not to repeat allegations ( as in the complaints of others) unless they can be substantiated as being factual.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:04:14 PM by Ian »

Cindy

• Veteran Member
    • 3A Talk Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »

The March, 2008 issue of 3ABN World displays an attractive photo of Mollie Steenson on the cover and a feature article about her inside the publication...Mollie expands on the title of the article, A Gatekeeper's Calling, by explaining that the Korahites, a segment of the Levites of the Old Testament, "were in charge of the work of the service, gatekeepers of the tabernacle"

The article concludes with Mollie Steenson's quoting "...I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness".

What does "gatekeeping" mean in the context of the Korahites? What exactly does she do a a "gatekeeper?"

Advice from Moshe Kohn of the Jerusalem Post:

"Don't be a Korahite "
From: Jerusalem Post | Date: June 11, 1999| Author: Moshe Kohn 
06-11-1999

KORAH IS one of ten men who coveted things to which they were not entitled, and who not only did not get their heart's desire, but came to a bad end. These were Cain, who desired the whole world for himself; Korah, who was not satisfied with being a levite and demanded the priesthood; Balaam, who came to collect payment from the Moabite King Balak (Numbers 22-24); Doeg and Ahitophel, who conspired against David (I Samuel 21-22; II Samuel...

That seems more then a  little unkind... the job was not made null and void just because some were not content with their role and lot, and did not answer their calling, and fell...
 .... and we are not modern jews with their beliefs..

Korah's family and descendants did not all come to a bad end in Num 16...

Why? They all had a choice.

See Ezekiel 18. We have a God who is love and  both merciful and just

Those who were destroyed were destroyed by pride.

Not all were prideful. There is nothing wrong with Mollie Steenson saying:
"I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness".

Others made the same choice.

( ask yourselves would you rather be least in the kingdom, or not even be in the kingdom?)

Much later we can read about those faithful and humble gatekeepers:

2Ch 20:19 And the Levites, of the children of the Kohathites, and of the children of the Korhites, stood up to praise the LORD God of Israel with a loud voice on high.

God will lift them up. Re-read the sermon on the mount if you doubt my words here.

Moving on...

edited to add pertinent quote.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:33:00 PM by Ian »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up