Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Easter!!!  (Read 4995 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Happy Easter!!!
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »

Happy Easter to everyone!!! Hope you are having a great weekend!  ;D

Emma

Re: Happy Easter!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:58:37 PM »

Thanks George...it is a long weekend here, Monday a holiday too...though I have to do some work
it is at my own pace.    It has been a good, and in some way, a blessed weekend.

sonshineonme

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »

Happy Easter to everyone!!! Hope you are having a great weekend!  ;D
:thumbsup:

Thanks George  :TY: - it's been a delightful day!! All without bunnies, eggs and chocolates...I'm going to get some chocolate in before the day is over - but I would do that even if it weren't easter! Hang on to your hat!
"...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. "

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:56:14 PM »

Had a prestty relaxing holiday. 

SSOM got some pics of TJ in his Easter suit.  Will try to post them on Facebook later this week.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »

Here we celebrate Easter starting on Thursday through Monday. Some work on the Saturday in between. In former days some of our evangelists preached on the Sabbath question under the title "Crucified Between Two Thieves".

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »

Many don't realize that the 40 days of Lent from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday actually span 6 1/2 weeks, or 46 days inclusive.

How does one get 40 days out of 46?

It's illegal to fast on Sunday. Thus the whole Easter season is intended to be a glorification and an exaltation of Sunday.

The church of the east celebrated Christ's death and resurrection on Nisan 14, the Passover. Bishop Victor of Rome in the second century excommunicated the entire church of the east since they wouldn't celebrate Easter on a Sunday. But he didn't have the power to get away with that. they simply turned around and excommunicated him.

Once Rome gained in power, civil laws were passed against the Quartodecimians, those who remembered Christ's death and resurrection on Nisan 14 instead of Easter Sunday. But from what I recall, Rome's insistence that one can fast on Sabbath but can't fast on Sunday was still a point of controversy between east and west for centuries afterwards.

But today, no one seems to notice that the 40 days of Lent are really 46, and no one seems to notice that fasting on Sabbath is commanded, and fasting on Sunday is prohibited.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:23 AM »

Its always interesting to see the histories. Its kind of like having a knowledge of Latin, German and French in understanding the roots of the English we speak. So much of the history behind our everyday lives is obscure and a view of it reveals arcane, medieval thoughts and practices that have little or no rellevance to what we know and practice today. Well, thankfully our celebrations of Easter are not dictated by the prelates of old, and their days of Lent, their fasts, and so on are just shadows fading away into the mists of time.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »

and so is "One Nation under God"!

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »

This is why you will catch me watching the History Channel or that I did very well iln History all through school Absolutely LOVE the find the his tory of anything!  Much of the misinformation( scare tatics) drives put forth by religion( or any dominate group) drives me to find true history. 

Its always interesting to see the histories. Its kind of like having a knowledge of Latin, German and French in understanding the roots of the English we speak. So much of the history behind our everyday lives is obscure and a view of it reveals arcane, medieval thoughts and practices that have little or no rellevance to what we know and practice today. Well, thankfully our celebrations of Easter are not dictated by the prelates of old, and their days of Lent, their fasts, and so on are just shadows fading away into the mists of time.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »

"A Note About Easter" by George Reid.

WillowRun

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »

We always celebrated an easter devoid of religious significance.  My kids knew the easter bunny was Mom and that gave chocolate bunnies and jelly beans.  And the girls also knew that Mommy Claus was watching during the winter season....and gave gifts based on who was nice and who wasn't.. :-)

just my .02  which is rapidly losing purchasing power as I type......

Willow
Respectfully,

Willow
Pages: [1]   Go Up