Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Did 3ABN Gain So Many Adherents in the Adventist Church  (Read 28751 times)

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
Re: Why Did 3ABN Gain So Many Adherents in the Adventist Church
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 03:23:42 PM »

So if Madison were still going today, would they be out of line to continue in the counsel given them by Ellen White? No, sorry Inga, there was no expiration date on that counsel given so many years ago. Would you say that the ensample in the Bible of the man who brought his offering for the self-supporting prophets in Gilgal is also outdated? Madison was to be a kind of model. There are numerous other statements in the SOP which deal with this subject that don't mention Madison.
Your comment re "no expiration date" is absurd. Even biblical commendations are conditional.

If there was "no expiration date" on the counsel to support Madison, I suppose there was "no expiration date" on the counsel not to send students to the church's main institution of learning either?  :dunno:

We are all responsible for the wise stewardship of our funds. Sending funds to certain "independent ministries" is poor stewardship of the worst sort. It is worse than "poor stewardship" when the principals in such a ministry blatantly flout the most basic principles of Christianity.

On the other hand, some other independent ministries as well as church ministries are operated in accordance with biblical principles, and our gifts will be blessed when sent their way.
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »

I suspect there is a misunderstanding. I think what SDAminister meant was that the counsel of being supportive of schools like Madison carried no expiration date, not that the counsel to support Madison carried no expiration date.

Is there an indication in the counsel we have that we should no longer have schools that operate like Madison did? That would be another way of putting the issue I see SDAminister was trying to bring up.

SDAminister

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »

I tell you, the biggest problem with self-supporting schools and institutions, and church-operated schools and institutions, and me, is that we are all sinners. If we could only get rid of all the sinners, which means getting rid of all the people, including me, we wouldn't have any problems anymore.

SDAminister, while I agree that self-supporting doesn't mean you can't accept donations, I do think that there could be more effort put into school industries, whether self-supporting or church-operated. Perhaps what is needed is more expertise from businessmen, since not everyone has the knack of a James White to get things operating on a paying basis.

It is really exciting to read the reports from the GC sessions in the early 20th century coming from Avondale. Something like 90% of the students were able to pay half to all of their bills from their work, and the school was able to expand at the same time.
Agreed

inga

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20:23 PM »

You're probably right, Bob, and in that case I fully agree with "Sdaminister"

I suspect there is a misunderstanding. I think what SDAminister meant was that the counsel of being supportive of schools like Madison carried no expiration date, not that the counsel to support Madison carried no expiration date.

Is there an indication in the counsel we have that we should no longer have schools that operate like Madison did? That would be another way of putting the issue I see SDAminister was trying to bring up.
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

SDAminister

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »

So if Madison were still going today, would they be out of line to continue in the counsel given them by Ellen White? No, sorry Inga, there was no expiration date on that counsel given so many years ago. Would you say that the ensample in the Bible of the man who brought his offering for the self-supporting prophets in Gilgal is also outdated? Madison was to be a kind of model. There are numerous other statements in the SOP which deal with this subject that don't mention Madison.
Your comment re "no expiration date" is absurd. Even biblical commendations are conditional.

If there was "no expiration date" on the counsel to support Madison, I suppose there was "no expiration date" on the counsel not to send students to the church's main institution of learning either?  :dunno:

We are all responsible for the wise stewardship of our funds. Sending funds to certain "independent ministries" is poor stewardship of the worst sort. It is worse than "poor stewardship" when the principals in such a ministry blatantly flout the most basic principles of Christianity.

On the other hand, some other independent ministries as well as church ministries are operated in accordance with biblical principles, and our gifts will be blessed when sent their way.
Inga,
I think we are both pretty much in agreement on this. Although I would think that EGW's counsel to NOT send students to the church's main institution of learning should be looked at again considering that Andrews University has gone far, far beyond what Battle Creek College ever dared.........
Blessings!

inga

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 11:24:55 PM »

Inga,
I think we are both pretty much in agreement on this. Although I would think that EGW's counsel to NOT send students to the church's main institution of learning should be looked at again considering that Andrews University has gone far, far beyond what Battle Creek College ever dared.........
Blessings!
Yes, I do believe we are in agreement.

As for Andrews U -- I suspect it hasn't gone nearly as far as some of our universities in the West. It's a whole lot safer to send our young folks to certain Christian universities run by others than to some of "our" schools in the West. I didn't think AU was that bad yet, but I haven't checked with anyone really recently ...

Maybe we should start a thread for what's really going on in some of our schools -- not just the bad, but also the good. It could help folks make better choices. A niece is going to Southern University after doing a lot of research and she loves it -- in spite of being warned that it was "so strict" that she would absolutely hate it. From the little she said, it sounds good to me.

Johann

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 03:00:59 PM »

Maybe we should start a thread for what's really going on in some of our schools -- not just the bad, but also the good. It could help folks make better choices. A niece is going to Southern University after doing a lot of research and she loves it -- in spite of being warned that it was "so strict" that she would absolutely hate it. From the little she said, it sounds good to me.

No response yet?

horsethief

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »

No way will the SDA church or it's members ever condone child molestation as Danny Shelton and 3ABN has. The entire 3ABN leadership knew this had happened before any arrest was made. This makes them guilty of covering up the worst of crimes.

Johann

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »

Some of the viewers of 3ABN seem to blame Linda Shelton for all the trouble  the station is encountering? She is said to be the source of all the gossip, etc. . . and all would be just perfect if she would give up the resistance.

Is it all her fault that Danny Shelton recently blamed it all on her just as he got up to preach in Florida?

Linda was not there, so she could not be the source of this "gossip"!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up