Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUSA Ch. 9 video: rejection of Tommy Shelton's plea  (Read 5949 times)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
WUSA Ch. 9 video: rejection of Tommy Shelton's plea
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »

Wendall

Re: WUSA Ch. 9 video: rejection of Tommy Shelton's plea
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:26:20 AM »

If he did the molestation in the woods when he was supposses to be giving piano lessons or babysitting then he should get 20 years in jail.
TS is out of touch with reality if he admitted the THOSE CRIMES and now wants only probation=nice try you con man. What do the laws of the jurisdicition say a person could recieve for molesting an underage child? I would imagine it is at least five years per count(each time the molestation occurred.) Maybe 20 years is not enough.
Looks like maybe a trial could be on the horizon. What is the district attorney recommending for jail time?=That most likely will be the result with or without a trial.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:11:09 AM »

I thought TS didn't show any remorse when he spoke to the judge before the judge presented his decision?

The media in this instance said that TS showed remorse.

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »

Daryl- A "remorseful" statement without emotion is not true "remorse". Even the judge didn't buy it.
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

mrst53

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »

Was anyone from our site able to be there? I wish I could have made it....Does the media really have a letter that says TS admitted to molesting the 6 others or is this just media hype taking things out of context?

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:42 AM »

Glenn Dryden wrote a letter to Walt Thompson saying "at least six boys in our community were molested by Tommy Ray Shelton." That's probably the letter they're talking about. That's when Danny started all his little threats.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

mrst53

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »

So, there was NO actuall admittance from Tommy, correct??

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »

Quote from: Washington Post blog by Tom Jackman 11-15-10
"I am remorseful," Shelton said. "I tried to live a Christian life all my life. I obviously got off track for a while. In the last 15 years, I've done everything in my power to live the way I should. I've kept myself away from young people... Saying I'm sorry doesn't fix it, but from the bottom of my heart, I am remorseful."

Now, let examine the definition of the word "remorse" from Dictionary.com: "deep and painful regret for wrongdoing; compunction"

For Tommy to be remorseful, he would have to be guilty of the act. Example: When a friend loses someone to death, we usually say, I'm so sorry. We can be sorry because we know they are in pain and distress due to the person's death. We can't be remorseful unless we have somehow contributed to the cause of their death.

Make sense?
Duane Clem

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »

I don't think Tommy's attempt at a plea agreement can be used against him at trial.  But could the statement he gave the media be used?

Quote from: Washington Post blog by Tom Jackman 11-15-10
"I am remorseful," Shelton said. "I tried to live a Christian life all my life. I obviously got off track for a while. In the last 15 years, I've done everything in my power to live the way I should. I've kept myself away from young people... Saying I'm sorry doesn't fix it, but from the bottom of my heart, I am remorseful."

Now, let examine the definition of the word "remorse" from Dictionary.com: "deep and painful regret for wrongdoing; compunction"

For Tommy to be remorseful, he would have to be guilty of the act. Example: When a friend loses someone to death, we usually say, I'm so sorry. We can be sorry because we know they are in pain and distress due to the person's death. We can't be remorseful unless we have somehow contributed to the cause of their death.

Make sense?

Wendall

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »

When TS made statements in court they can be admissible if the jurisdiction allows it. Some places statements are admissible and other places they are not admissible.
Any statements he made by his own freewill are generally always admissible especially if he made an admission of his own criminal conduct. The court generally (depends on jurisdiction) would recognize his statement to the media as hearsay but if he admitted criminal conduct the evidence is admissible as an admission of a party opponent. I am not sure what TS said to the media.

childoftheking

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:38:24 AM »

Will the jury and judge know about his former guilty plea? The one he withdrew?

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »

Will the jury and judge know about his former guilty plea? The one he withdrew?
I don't think so, which is ridiculous
Duane Clem

childoftheking

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »

I suppose it is a bit ridiculous to think that they would accept a juror who already knew about his guilty plea. The jurors will be questioned before they are selected to find out what they have heard. And during the trial they wouldn't be told about it. But I thought maybe the judge would have access to all the records at the sentancing after the trial. Assuming Tommy would be judged to be guilty.

Edited to explain my thinking.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:22:59 AM by childoftheking »
Pages: [1]   Go Up